Microusb 2.0 to normal USB still work with a printer? With a tablet

vailr

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
No, because there's no device driver designed for doing that.
Printing via WiFi should be fairly easy to set up, however.

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
No, because there's no device driver designed for doing that.
Printing via WiFi should be fairly easy to set up, however.

You do realize that tablet is running the full (x86) version of 8.1? No reason it shouldn't work, since a standard x86 USB printer driver should be available for windows.

Agree on WiFi printing, although that may require a new printer or a print server.

note235

Golden Member
Dec 23, 2005
Will setup a print server but currently it's a thermal printer. And yes the tablet would be running full windows. Anyway to get full usb to work?

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Tablets can be run using a mouse and a manual keyboard via USB. However, that micro-USB port on the tablet is not powered. So you would need some kind of powered USB hub to operate devices requiring a powered USB connection. Some of the newer tablet OS's may be able to do this. There may be other options that might work. If you have a wireless connection to a PC maybe you can use a shared printer or just buy a wireless printer.

There is an easier way to do all this. Most tablets can be connected to a PC through USB for charging. You can also use this this to upload pictures and files that you created. You can probably also do a synchronization technique to automatically synchronize your tablet that will upload your documents every time you connect to your desktop assuming you had a desktop.

If you have something like sky drive or cloud based storage you might be able to store documents in the clouds and print them from a PC later.

Last edited:

note235

Golden Member
Dec 23, 2005
Ok this is for a thermal printer that does not have wifi and I don't know if thermal printers general have that. This would be running full windows 8.1 x64 since the processor is a bay trail one.

Would using going from microusb to a usb hub that's powered be a workable solution?

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
Ok this is for a thermal printer that does not have wifi and I don't know if thermal printers general have that. This would be running full windows 8.1 x64 since the processor is a bay trail one.

I don't think its the x64 version. Tablets rarely use it. Its very likely the x86 version of 8.1. Running x64 on such low-powered hardware will likely not produce a good result.

Answer to your second paragraph:

Tablets can be run using a mouse and a manual keyboard via USB. However, that micro-USB port on the tablet is not powered. So you would need some kind of powered USB hub to operate devices requiring a powered USB connection. Some of the newer tablet OS's may be able to do this.

Since the printer is already powered, I don't think a hub is even required. A simple adaptor from micro-B to USB-A should do the trick. There are even a few USB OTG adaptor cables that allow powering an external device and charging the tablet at the same time. No idea if those work with windows tablets, though I don't see any reason why not.

A hub is only needed if you need to connect multiple devices at the same time.

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
MicroUSB is just a different physical connector shape for USB. Since you'll be running a full x86 version of Windows on the tablet, it'll work just like hooking the printer up to a normal PC.