Micrososft Vista 64 update breaks Orthos

Dadofamunky

Platinum Member
Jan 4, 2005
Man, my Intel system in the sig below, running Vista 64-bit, had overnight 12-hour Orthos stability with an 800 MHz overclock. Then, I did Microsoft's comprehensive updates for Vista 64 (this is a new installation and the updates are quite necessary) and bammo, Orthos crashes the system to a blue screen. I have never seen this before on any system. Jeez, I hope SP1 comes out soon. (That might not help.)

FWIW, 3DMark runs fine. In fact, everything else I've run to test system load or graphics performance runs great. I consider this a good sign. Tomorrow I'm going to try running two copies of the old Prime 95 program to see if the same behavior ensues. I am not optimistic.

The system seems to be rock solid except that I can't run Orthos on Vista 64-bit. Disappointing, but I don't think it's the end of the world. It DOES mean that my overclocking efforts in Vista 64 are probably at an end for quite awhile. My CPU never got above 45C under full load, and normally, even with the OC, runs at about 22-23C. Yeah, it's not an e8400/8500, but this thing will do just fine for now and it's a no-brainer upgrade.

So I'm wondering if anybody has any thought on this, or if they've seen this themselves, or ESPECIALLY if there are any other useful load testing programs I can try. I may give Memtest a try.

Sylvanas

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2004
The latest prime95 beta has quad core support apparently, Orthos is fine for me in Vista 64 with my Intel rig so it might be an isolated issue- did you download and install all the security fixes and alike from windows update or install them in addition to component drivers + updates?

Phunk0ne

Jul 20, 2007
I am running ORTHOS v0.41.110.18 with Mersener number test - Ver.24.14 under Vista 64 bit Ultimate and all the latest updates. No problem at al running ORTHOS all night long @ 3.8GHz.

Dadofamunky

Platinum Member
Jan 4, 2005
Originally posted by: Sylvanas
The latest prime95 beta has quad core support apparently, Orthos is fine for me in Vista 64 with my Intel rig so it might be an isolated issue- did you download and install all the security fixes and alike from windows update or install them in addition to component drivers + updates?

Nah, Just did the automatic update, all my drivers were already present in the system. I will admit, driver support for Vista 64-bit has proven much better than I thought so far.

Originally posted by: manimal
Try OCCT, it works fine in Vista 64

Cool, thanks.

Dadofamunky

Platinum Member
Jan 4, 2005
Originally posted by: Phunk0ne
I am running ORTHOS v0.41.110.18 with Mersener number test - Ver.24.14 under Vista 64 bit Ultimate and all the latest updates. No problem at al running ORTHOS all night long @ 3.8GHz.

NICE OC. I also seem to be having problems with VDroop. Looks like your 1.5V settings are necessary to get the e6750 to stabilize at 1.424. I've been using both CPU-Z and SpeedFan to monitor voltages and both give me identical readings. I'll add Everest to the battery too.

Dadofamunky

Platinum Member
Jan 4, 2005
Originally posted by: firewolfsm
You could have just coincidentally lost stability at the same time.

:) I know. Well, I have some other things to try. I definitely did not have the current version of Orthos.

***UPDATE***I ramped up the voltage considerably (and cautiously) to the CPU and slightly tweaked the Northbridge voltage. At BIOS 1.525 V setting, the CPU is at a steady 1.42 V under load and Orthos is running successfully as I write this, as 3.6 GHz (8x450).

Dadofamunky

Platinum Member
Jan 4, 2005
Solid as a rock now, ran for 15 hours last night before I had to shut things down. Thanks all.