microsofts Virtual pc help

Doom Machine

Oct 23, 2005
i have 32 bit vista in virtual pc on my 64bit vista

i'm trying to install a program (only works on 32bit vista)

i have this program on my drive but i cant figure out how to access it within virtual pc...it only sees the virtual disk, it wont even show my usb hard drive, it wont connect to the internet
so how are you suppose to install apps on this stupid thing?

i'll also need to copy some files into virtual pc somehow as well

mechBgon

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
Oct 31, 1999
On the Virtual PC window's menu, click CD > Use Physical drive D: (or whatever drive letter the drive uses).

Also, one simple way of transferring files into the VM is to drag & drop them there (who'd ever have guessed!) and another is to click Edit > Settings and share a folder on the host :camera:, and that folder will show in the VM as a drive letter.

Nothinman

Elite Member
Sep 14, 2001
Or if you get the networking setup properly you could use normal SMB/CIFS sharing.

Doom Machine

Oct 23, 2005
Originally posted by: mechBgon
On the Virtual PC window's menu, click CD > Use Physical drive D: (or whatever drive letter the drive uses).

Also, one simple way of transferring files into the VM is to drag & drop them there (who'd ever have guessed!) and another is to click Edit > Settings and share a folder on the host :camera:, and that folder will show in the VM as a drive letter.

the share folder button is greyed out
i tried to drag n drop...does nothing

i have to run vista installer from .iso, the physical drive never reads the disk, alway says to "please insert proper boot media" i made sure to put disk drive boot first in bios boot option..no luck
it also wont connect to the internet when i run IE in it, i played around with vpc's settings but none have helped with anything

Or if you get the networking setup properly you could use normal SMB/CIFS sharing.
i have no idea what your talking about

mechBgon

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
Oct 31, 1999
I think you might need to install the VPC add-ons to use my previous suggestions. Click Action > Install or Update Virtual PC Additions. Does that help?

Narmer

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2006
isn't there a 64-bit version of VPC? and if the program you want to run only works with 32-bit vista, why are you trying to run it in VPC in the first place?