Microsoft's next OS will index your hard drive and the the info to "provide better searches"

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Fortune Magazine

Its new operating system, code-named Longhorn, is due out in 2006. It plans to be able to index every user's hard drive and use the information to provide better searches.
:Q
rolleye.gif

Anybody else getting this uneasy Big Brother feeling?

screw3d

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Isn't this indexing thing already on Win2000/XP? Or is this index to be searched by OTHER people on the web?

damiano

Platinum Member
May 29, 2002
Originally posted by: JEDI
Fortune Magazine

Its new operating system, code-named Longhorn, is due out in 2006. It plans to be able to index every user's hard drive and use the information to provide better searches.
rolleye.gif

you bet
they will know better what you have on your HD
and be able to do a general search through the web of all HD :(

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
Originally posted by: JEDI
Fortune Magazine

rolleye.gif

mb i'm extremely technically deficient, but what does INDEXING have to do with big brother??

MrChad

Lifer
Aug 22, 2001
OMG, I just found out the Windows XP has access to every file on my hard drive! I booted my computer, and it knew MY NAME! Damn M$! I bet they are broadcasting it over the internet to spammers!

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
Originally posted by: MrChad
OMG, I just found out the Windows XP has access to every file on my hard drive! I booted my computer, and it knew MY NAME! Damn M$! I bet they are broadcasting it over the internet to spammers!

yup, big brother indeed, your OS ACTUALLY keeps track of everything on your HD.

Terrible.

it is indeed the end of the world.

RaiderJ

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2001
Originally posted by: PlatinumGold
Originally posted by: MrChad

yup, big brother indeed, your OS ACTUALLY keeps track of everything on your HD.

Terrible.

it is indeed the end of the world.

Oh no! Its found my CD-ROM drives and network drives to!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
BTW, Jedi

INDEXING is a GOOD thing in an OS. i believe that 2000 and XP does have indexing (each object, file, driver, etc is given it's own unique identifier).

sharkeeper

Lifer
Jan 13, 2001
WinFS is based on structure query. (SQL)

Not a big deal, your firewall and common sense are your best friends! :)

Cheers!