Microsoft will remove coercive registry cleaners starting March 1

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Am in agreement with mxnerd also, CC always provides for a restore function if the action is not to your liking.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Haven't used a registry cleaner on any newer systems in years but I do use CCleaner to control startup apps and run an occasional junk file scan on computers with mechanical drives that boot Windows. I've also used Recuva before and it was alright.

I haven't run any defrag software in ages, actually almost forgot it was even a thing. Back when I first started with computers in the early 00's I used PerfectDisk or something on my single core PC with a molasses slow IDE drive that had games on it. Seemed like it barely helped load times but I'm thankful that you basically never have to do it anymore...

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Haven't used a registry cleaner on any newer systems in years but I do use CCleaner to control startup apps and run an occasional junk file scan on computers with mechanical drives that boot Windows. I've also used Recuva before and it was alright.

I haven't run any defrag software in ages, actually almost forgot it was even a thing. Back when I first started with computers in the early 00's I used PerfectDisk or something on my single core PC with a molasses slow IDE drive that had games on it. Seemed like it barely helped load times but I'm thankful that you basically never have to do it anymore...
Why use a 3rd party product for a function built-in to Windows? The time you waste downloading and installing and “occasionally scanning” is almost certainly longer than the time impact of the “junk files.”

Same question for defeating software. The reason why Disk Keeper and others tried to tell you that the built-in defrag was inadequate is because they had to make you want a product you didn’t need. It was especially ironic when the built-in defrag WAS Disk Keeper. :D

ccCleaner amounts to useless scareware that suckered in a lot of techies over the years by inflating the importance of what it does and acting as a crutch so users never find the built-in ways to do the same things. It may not be malicious but it’s still pretty darn pointless.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Yes, all that precious time downloading a 15MB file really adds up :rolleyes:

I like CC because you can also control context menu items, browser plugins, and startup apps (some of which do not show up in Windows by default) and purge unnecessary files, whether they need to be removed or not, all in one place without having to open and check other pieces of software. It's certainly not useless I'm not sure how that's even a statement I can take seriously.