Microsoft will not go down so easily

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
With all this talk of Mantle, Steam OS's embracement of OpenGL and what not, many people are already acting as though DirectX's future is written in the sand, and will be erased and replaced..

But Microsoft isn't apparently willing to let things go so easily, despite what AMD says about there not being a DirectX 12.

By this quote:

We’re also working with our ISV and IHV partners on future efforts, including bringing the lightweight runtime and tooling capabilities of the Xbox One Direct3D implementation to Windows, and identifying the next generation of advanced 3D graphics technologies.

We can see that Microsoft now wants to bring a lighter, more console like API to Windows whilst preserving IHV compatibility. Microsoft, a company with decades worth of software engineering and one of the most successful companies in the World. They can, and will pull it off.

They took their PC gaming monopoly for granted, but it looks like they're now starting to take this a lot more seriously.

How can AMD's Mantle compete with this? It's already dead. The most AMD can hope for now is for Mantle to gain a foothold in a few major next gen engines. They already have Frostbite 3, and we won't know about any others until next month.....if there are any others.

But anyone hoping for industry wide adoption is crazy.. OpenGL will also get left behind in the dust again, as Microsoft commits more resources to Direct3D development.. A lot of money is at stake in this, as while the overall PC market is in a depression, PC gaming is still strong and getting stronger.

tviceman

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2008
www.facebook.com
Microsoft may talk about it's commitments to PC gaming, as it has done so numerous times over the past several years, the fact that GFWL is shutting down and GFWL games are being re-released with steamworks instead (Bioshock 2, Batman AA and AC) shows just how much disarray MS's PC division and commitment to the PC is in. I do not think Microsoft can keep the industry's reliance on DX AND juggle Xbone if there is a capable and determined competitor in the PC scene as a top-tier platform. They have treated the PC as a second rate platform since the xbox360 and have opened a door for another company to challenge them.

Valve is prepping Steam to become it's own stand alone platform un-reliant upon Windows, OSX, or any other potential competitor's operating system. I'm not saying Valve is failure-proof, but everyone (including me) chastised Steam when it first came out and never at any time during it's first few years ever thought it would become the juggernaut it is today. Anyone counting them out right now is extremely narrow minded and short-sighted.

TidusZ

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2007
microsoft has been unimpressive the past few years so I can't say I share OP's optimism. As for whether mantle will amount to anything I have no idea.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
With all this talk of Mantle, Steam OS's embracement of OpenGL and what not, many people are already acting as though DirectX's future is written in the sand, and will be erased and replaced..

But Microsoft isn't apparently willing to let things go so easily, despite what AMD says about there not being a DirectX 12.

By this quote:

We can see that Microsoft now wants to bring a lighter, more console like API to Windows whilst preserving IHV compatibility. Microsoft, a company with decades worth of software engineering and one of the most successful companies in the World. They can, and will pull it off.

They took their PC gaming monopoly for granted, but it looks like they're now starting to take this a lot more seriously.

How can AMD's Mantle compete with this? It's already dead. The most AMD can hope for now is for Mantle to gain a foothold in a few major next gen engines. They already have Frostbite 3, and we won't know about any others until next month.....if there are any others.

But anyone hoping for industry wide adoption is crazy.. OpenGL will also get left behind in the dust again, as Microsoft commits more resources to Direct3D development.. A lot of money is at stake in this, as while the overall PC market is in a depression, PC gaming is still strong and getting stronger.

thank-you-sir-may-i-have-another.jpg

Yes, M$ must maintain their monopoly on gaming.

stahlhart

Super Moderator Graphics Cards
Dec 21, 2010
Thread closed, unless the article and discussion are presented in a less inflammatory manner.
-- stahlhart

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.