Info Microsoft to unveil what's next for Windows on June 24

Chiefcrowe

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008

Hmm - to me this seems like it will be mostly about the visual overhaul that they've been mentioning and then the new windows store. I hope it has some good under the hood changes like faster patching and better security and better support for large monitors and HDR though!

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
If it had better patching, they'd be bragging about that. My theory is the dude who created the update system probably did it under deadline trying to get Windows Vista out, management promised he'd fix it later. Then he retired or committed suicide. Nobody still at Microsoft really knows how to fix that mess so they just paper over it with things like the in place upgrades.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Didn't they say Windows 10 was the last version of Windows?
Personally I think that they should drop the number now. Just call it Windows.
They've been making noises about not wanting to have major versions for awhile.

I can't really see any downside to it (apart from maybe OEMs using a new version to push hardware sales), if you have a tech support issue they are going to want the exact version of Windows you're running anyway.

Just sell a key for Windows and let it update to the newest version. If they want they can make that the basic version and then in app (or in OS I guess) sell the extras that you get in pro.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
I hate that sort of naming system. Unless you follow it obsessively you have no idea what order the versions are. Numbers are just far superior.
I disagree. Just look at phones now. The numbers mean nothing.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I disagree. Just look at phones now. The numbers mean nothing.
Eh? The numbers generally get bigger as the phone gets newer. Galaxy S, S2, S3, S4, S5, S6, S7, S8, S9, S10, S20, S21. Thats pretty easy to work out the order.
Compare to Intel CPUs (and yes I know these are code names but its just an example) Rocket lake, Comet lake, Coffee lake, Kaby lake, Sky lake. Theres no way to know the order there.

Reactions: MalVeauX

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Eh? The numbers generally get bigger as the phone gets newer. Galaxy S, S2, S3, S4, S5, S6, S7, S8, S9, S10, S20, S21. Thats pretty easy to work out the order.
Compare to Intel CPUs (and yes I know these are code names but its just an example) Rocket lake, Comet lake, Coffee lake, Kaby lake, Sky lake. Theres no way to know the order there.
Intel CPUs also had numbers, but I guess you forgot those.... As you see, neither system is perfect.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2009
I could be wrong about the naming thing but I am pretty sure windows 10 is the last thing called windows for the time being.
Shouldn’t be so difficult to track because they’ll likely have a date or year after it like
MS Cedar Rock 2022
MS Redwood 2024
MS Sherwood 2025

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Intel CPUs also had numbers, but I guess you forgot those.... As you see, neither system is perfect.
And the numbers is what I'd use to work out which one is newer (if they were in a sensible order). Numbers are just way more sensible when you are, well, when you are numbering things. That's what they are for.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I always thought the "Windows 10 will be the last version of Windows" plan to be a bit odd, because surely a company that values backwards compatibility has to at some point make decisions that render old hardware obsolete. It's happened with Windows 10 at least once already.

Then I find it even weirder that we might get a new version of Windows to replace Win10 because of "a new MS store" and "more payment systems", like they couldn't just bolt that crap onto Windows 10? I would have thought the only reason to break with "10 being the last version" strategy is a fundamental overhaul of say DirectX / graphics delivery protocols, something that would break significant numbers of existing Win10 installs if it simply arrived as an automatic update.

What I find weirder still is that the current support lifecycle for the latest version of Windows 10 (21H1) will expire before Windows 8.1.

I'm not even going to pretend to guess what this news is going to be, because from where I sit, the entire Windows 10 strategy made no sense anyway (e.g. "we'll have less versions of Windows to support... oops, three versions of Windows 10, not to mention 8.1 and 7*"). Maybe MS came to the same conclusion and are rolling back to three year releases? I hope so.

* - at least up until 2020.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
@mikeymikec Same issues here.

We struggle with the support thing at work. They want us to validate that every crappy PC we sent out with hardware (that's another topic...), using older versions of Windows 10 that they shipped with, work with our controller software. But the new versions often have components that will not even install on say 1607. Because Microsoft themselves do not even support that version anymore. Even the old enterprise/LTSB ones we sent out (which supposedly have 10 years of support IIRC) you can't install some newer versions of .NET on it or some newer hardware drivers we use.

Hilariously, this stuff all works fine on Windows 8.1 and even Windows 7. Which we don't even technically support anymore.