Microsoft to nuke MSN Music DRM keys

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mitchel

Banned
Mar 27, 2008
Originally posted by: Xavier434
Originally posted by: PokerGuy
Originally posted by: idiotekniQues
Originally posted by: KB
Originally posted by: ElFenix
and this is why i've never purchased DRM'ed music.

Bingo! Those who bought into DRM get what they deserve.

yes, everybody screwed by unethical corporations deserves what they get.
No, correction, they didn't just get screwed, they willingly put themselves in a position where they would be screwed, it was just a matter of how. If you never buy DRM junk you won't get in these kinds of predicaments.

To say they deserved this is idiotic.
They do deserve it, they opted to purchase DRM'd music, thus encouraging companies to do this kind of stuff. Had they stayed away from the DRM'd files they would not have had a problem.

You are assuming these customers even know what DRM is let alone aware that it came with their music purchases. Again, most people do not even come close to being as knowledgeable about such things as those who frequently use the internet for reasons like those on ATOT. However, tons of people purchase and download music. People shouldn't have to worry about this kind of problem because the problem shouldn't even exist.

They should know what they are buying before they bought it and all the risk inherent in that purchase. Ignorance is no excuse.

Therefore, people who purchase DRMed music got exactly what they bought.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: idiotekniQues
microsoft positions itself as a company with huge staying power

And that's exactly why the people who are getting screwed share no blame for what is happening. If this was some fly-by-night company, I wouldn't have much sympathy for them. But this is a company that they could reasonably expect to stick around. Don't blame the victim just because you don't like DRM. :roll:

Skunkwourk

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2004
Originally posted by: mitchel

They should know what they are buying before they bought it and all the risk inherent in that purchase. Ignorance is no excuse.

Thats terrible reasoning. Do you know how everything you buy works in it's entirety?

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by: mitchel

I understand your logic here, but it does not apply to every case. You gotta draw the line somewhere. It is by no means clear at the time of purchase that the music sold contains DRM let alone an explaination of the limitations that the DRM places on you. It is considered very bad business practice.

Even if you do not agree with me, it doesn't matter. The sales will prove my point soon enough once word gets around about how often people will be getting screwed over by this stuff. People will stop buying it.

Nocturnal

Lifer
Jan 8, 2002
Yup, this is why I do not buy DRM music or if I do, I'll buy it from iTunes. At least I don't have to connect my iPod monthly in order to be able to listen to the music I've purchased.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by: Nocturnal
Yup, this is why I do not buy DRM music or if I do, I'll buy it from iTunes. At least I don't have to connect my iPod monthly in order to be able to listen to the music I've purchased.

Except the music only works well on Apple products. I would love to use iTunes if it weren't for those issues that many people are having.

manlymatt83

Lifer
Oct 14, 2005
Originally posted by: DisgruntledVirus
Originally posted by: Slick5150
Amazing to me that they don't just release a patch to remove the DRM completely. If they aren't willing to continue to offer the "service" they promised at the time of purchase, then it seems to me they should be obligated to make the service unnecessary rather than impossible.

It might be interesting to read their ToS, because it may or may not have a clause for just such a situation

Isn't this the way most situations like this are handled? For instance, isn't source code for certain products held in escrow and then released if a company goes out of my business? This should be the same way.

manlymatt83

Lifer
Oct 14, 2005
This just illustrates the folly of DRM, and why nobody should ever fall for the trap of buying DRM'd stuff. Basically, by doing so you are removing the options on how to use what you purchase from your hands and giving it to someone else to restrict your activities as they choose.

I can see it now, DRM'd cars: "yes, you can buy this toyota, but you can only drive it as long as you stay on toyota approved roads, and use the vehicle in a way we approve of. Also, before you take the car for a drive, please submit your route to our DRM team for approval so they can unlock the vehicle engine key."

Wouldn't really be DRM then :) More like VRM, or "Vrooooom!" :p (good marketing ploy?)

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
Those saying that the people that bought DRM music deserve it ?
Have you purchased something off steam like Team Fortress 2 ?
How would you feel if tomorrow they announce they were going to shut down steam and you can no longer install the game on other computers or play it.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Originally posted by: Modelworks
How would you feel if tomorrow they announce they were going to shut down steam and you can no longer install the game on other computers or play it.

Or Microsoft just stopped supporting the Xbox Live service.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Microsoft renegged on a promise when the market winds changed? I've never heard of such a thing!

mrSHEiK124

Lifer
Mar 6, 2004
Originally posted by: GagHalfrunt
The class action suit is undoubtedly being prepared at this very moment.

Probably with no merit. I'm 100% certain the TOS has a clause outlining a situation like this.

In the TOS. You clicked agree. You're SOL.

Originally posted by: vi edit

Or Microsoft just stopped supporting the Xbox Live service.

TOS says they can stop the service at any time. Other than refunds for the remainder of your subscription, I don't see how MS would be "wrong" to just shut it down.

cmv

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
If you can post here you can figure out how to get around the DRM. Not that this fact excuses the actions of MS.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Originally posted by: mrSHEiK124

Probably with no merit. I'm 100% certain the TOS has a clause outlining a situation like this.

What has no merit is the idea that a TOS is ironclad. Despite what's written in the fine print no company can insulate itself from consumer protection laws. Just because the users clicked through 100 paragraphs of boilerplate with the phrase "nanner, nanner, the laws don't apply to us and you're screwed" does not make that binding.

mrSHEiK124

Lifer
Mar 6, 2004
Originally posted by: mrSHEiK124

What has no merit is the idea that a TOS is ironclad. Despite what's written in the fine print no company can insulate itself from consumer protection laws. Just because the users clicked through 100 paragraphs of boilerplate with the phrase "nanner, nanner, the laws don't apply to us and you're screwed" does not make that binding.

Excuse me for being ignorant (I'm being serious, not sarcastic), but which laws do you speak of? AFAIK, the TOS says something like we reserve the right to end this service at any time without express given notice, and something explaining how the DRM works with "you (the user)" updating every "subscription period" and a bunch of other legalese. Where's the problem? You clicked agree, I don't see how it's illegal, nor are any of the terms...

* I am not a lawyer

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Same thing happened with Walmarts video download service, which is now defunked too.
And video movies purchased from them will no longer play if you change pc's or pc drives.
The bad was that often the DRM would be lost for no reason on a current pc.
Once I installed another video download manager for another service, and it wiped out
all exisiting DRM rights. Then, I had to call walmart to have them resent.
Now, thats inpossible.
The good news, I only spent around $10 on their service only purchasing TV series episodes @ 1.99 per download.
If I'd paid for movies @ $15 - $20, I'd really be mad.
Needless to say, I too avoid """ALL""" DRM related download pruchases.
I.e. Movielink, Cinema now, etc...

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
Any agreement cannot ask that you agree to give up a right that you have under the law.
Now what laws they would be breaking I don't know.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Nope, I have not purchased something like Team Fortress 2 for the same reason, I will not encourage any company that treats me like a criminal and forces the use of DRM phone-home's. So no, I don't care if they shut down steam tomorrow. Anyone who does buy that stuff does so knowing that they are putting themselves in that position, and will get no sympathy from me when the situation does come up where they are unable to use their products.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Nope, I have not purchased something like Team Fortress 2 for the same reason, I will not encourage any company that treats me like a criminal and forces the use of DRM phone-home's. So no, I don't care if they shut down steam tomorrow. Anyone who does buy that stuff does so knowing that they are putting themselves in that position, and will get no sympathy from me when the situation does come up where they are unable to use their products.

This is where you are mistaken. Many people do not know because the details of such things are not easy to discover and understand. That's the problem.