News Microsoft throws in the towel on Windows 10 1809

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Eh, M$ should do just one update a year and do a lot more testing before release.

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012
Eh, M$ should do just one update a year and do a lot more testing before release.

I don't even think once a year is needed. The old method of a new version every three or 4 years seemed to work just fine. I don't think they have added anything I really needed or use since the first release of Windows 10.

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
I don't even think once a year is needed. The old method of a new version every three or 4 years seemed to work just fine. I don't think they have added anything I really needed or use since the first release of Windows 10.
Yeah,this is only one part of what windows is for, the other part is to create the best possible environment for 3rd party software to run as well as possible and also of course all the things MS wants to push like for example all the xbox and store stuff.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Well, there were service packs - so I don’t have an objection to once a year updates.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001

Come on now, that's not considered to be "Agile". The software managers won't be happy until they have new builds available nightly :)

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I actually don't mind frequent updates. After all, I run Firefox Nightly as my daily-driver browser.

The most important thing is, that the updates are STABLE and without BREAKAGE. (Something that cannot always be said about Nightly builds, sadly, but that's why they're not on the Stable branch.)

If/when MS comes out with WPA3 client support, I want it ASAP, and not have to wait a whole year for the "next upgrade to Windows".

dawks

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I really like the method Apple takes with macOS and slow, small continuous improvement. Once a year they update the OS with a major version that adds 10-20 key core features, and they focus just on those. then throughout the year, release minor updates, bug fixes, and security fixes.

Its a nice simple, continual, predicable cadence.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Last edited:

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Moreover, we also discovered serious bugs in most products that implement EAP-pwd. These allow an adversary to impersonate any user, and thereby access the Wi-Fi network, without knowing the user's password

oh, goody