Microsoft, Sony In Blu-ray-For-Xbox Talks

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
Xbox 360 with Blu Ray drive

Microsoft found itself without a high-definition video partner last month after HD-DVD developer Toshiba said it would drop the format.

Microsoft (NSDQ: MSFT) and Sony officials are in talks that could lead to a version of the Xbox video game console equipped with a Blu-ray high definition DVD player.

Sony Electronics U.S. president Stan Glasgow revealed the discussions at a media dinner Thursday in San Francisco, according to an account of the event published by London's Financial Times. Glasgow said his company is also engaged in talks aimed at adding Sony Blu-ray to devices made by Apple, according to the paper.

Microsoft found itself without a high-definition video partner last month after HD-DVD developer Toshiba said it would drop the format. Toshiba's announcement followed commitments by virtually all major Hollywood studios to back Blu-Ray.

Days after Toshiba formally pulled the plug on HD DVD, Microsoft said it would discontinue an external Xbox 360 drive that supports the high-definition movie format.

Microsoft had been selling an HD DVD player as a $129 add-on for the Xbox 360. Existing units are now selling for less than half of that on eBay.

The death of HD DVD puts Microsoft in a quandary. Sony's PlayStation 3 console features a built-in Blu-ray player. With HD DVD no longer viable, Microsoft needs to find an alternate high-definition format for the Xbox.

The company could itself move to Blu-ray. But it might also reject its rival's technology and focus instead on offering high-definition downloads through its Xbox Live online content service.

Microsoft already sells a limited selection of HD television program and movie downloads on Xbox Live, which boasts more than 10 million members.

In the meantime, Microsoft has said that HD DVD's discontinuation won't hurt Xbox 360 sales -- insisting that it's games, and not movies, that dictate console sales.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
would be a good move for Microsoft. Sony still has the advantage though in that PS3 games are tied to the BD format. If only Microsoft had not rushed out the bug-prone 360 and included an HD DVD drive standard...

If my choice at the time was between an Xbox with included HD DVD drive and PS3 for the same price (Assuming HDMI on XBox as well), Microsoft would have gotten my money instead of Sony.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: zinfamous
would be a good move for Microsoft. Sony still has the advantage though in that PS3 games are tied to the BD format. If only Microsoft had not rushed out the bug-prone 360 and included an HD DVD drive standard...

If my choice at the time was between an Xbox with included HD DVD drive and PS3 for the same price (Assuming HDMI on XBox as well), Microsoft would have gotten my money instead of Sony.

You mean the advantage in longer load times due to slower read speeds? :p

hellokeith

Golden Member
Nov 12, 2004
Yeah I'm sure those Xbox (MICROSOFT) developers will get right on that Java implementation..

:laugh: