Microsoft Sidewinder: Side buttons as Mouse buttons 4 and 5?

Joeygates

Mar 4, 2007
Hi. I recently received the Microsoft Sidewinder gaming mouse as a gift from dear 'ol mom.

The mouse is very nice, however, I can't seem to set the side buttons as actual buttons. This means I can't map them in games or even something as simple as Ventrilo Push to Talk.

Other mice that I've used seem to grasp this concept (i.e. Razer Boomslang, Diamondback, etc).

----------------------

I know that I can map these buttons to keys. I'd really like to avoid this for reasons that when I press the keys (even rare ones) for general typing, I don't want something like my ventrilo to be activated.

----------------------

Does anyone know how to set the side buttons to be actual mouse buttons?

Thanks in advance,
Joe

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
You might need to install whatever software came with it. There's usually ways to set up binds and whatnot.

Joeygates

Mar 4, 2007
Correct. You can bind them to like 100 different things but you can't just call them mouse buttons. You can say game toggle . . . but that is just a macro. You can say keystroke (what I resorted to) but it stinks. For instance, I'll be typing something, select it to copy it or something and then hit my talk button on ventrillo and it just replaces what I had highlighted with the keystroke its bound to.

Its ridiculous. None of my razer mice have done that since they patched their software like 8 years ago. That's why I can't believe it. This is a basic function.

Thinking of returning this mouse anyone. The back feels HUGE in my hand.

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
Wow that's strange. With my Habu, it lets me specify what each mouse button does, even assigning other mouse button functions. Although I suppose that is Razer software, not Microsoft.

I don't even have the software installed, yet I can still use the side buttons on my mouse for anything. I haven't had a problem in any game with them. They come out as MOUSE4 and MOUSE5 when I bind them. You might be able to bind to them using those names (like in a game, you can use "bind (key) (command)")