Microsoft Security Essentials

Yayo3p

Mar 11, 2015
I would like to know what you guys think of it, since its free.:colbert:

Last edited:

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Charging for something does in no way translate to automatically making something better.
Having said that, you shouldn't only rely on only one form of protection.

Yayo3p

Mar 11, 2015
I mean, I have malwarebytes too, but I was just wondering if MSE is anywhere near efficient when it comes to scanning for virus codes. Not sure if Microsoft is updating their data base with new virus codes that can be detected so they can add it to the new updates going to MSE.

Berryracer

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2006
I mean, I have malwarebytes too, but I was just wondering if MSE is anywhere near efficient when it comes to scanning for virus codes. Not sure if Microsoft is updating their data base with new virus codes that can be detected so they can add it to the new updates going to MSE.
MSE is as good as having nothing or actually worse, because if you had nothing you would be cautious and not touch any file you don't know but if you have MSE you would *think* you are protected when it's as good as a dead horse.

Check how they do in terms of protection here (scroll down to the end):

AV-TEST

BTW, they've been having the same horrible protection score for more than 2 years in a row now so this is not new.

I recommend you install Bitdefender Free or 360 Total Security Essentials if you want free. Don't get the full 360 Total Security as that's bloated and has system optimizers and junk like that. The Essentials is only an AV which is all you need really. Check its score and performance in the above link as well from AV-TEST. They have been getting very high scores for many months. Want more proof? You can also check their rating on AV Comparatives

If you don't mind paying, then I recommend NOD32 Antivirus which is what I use. Don't go for ESET Smart Security as its firewall is no better than Windows Firewall and it has a lot of performance issues. NOD32 is light, clean and simple user interface, no bloat, junk, system optimizers, online account, etc......just a pure good AV

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Microsoft Security Essentials used to be good, but now it's become so popular that malware writers specifically target and disable it when they infect a system.

That's not a Microsoft specific problem, though. I've seen viruses that go after McAfee and Symantec installations as well.

TheFamilyMan

Golden Member
Mar 18, 2003
Be leery of berryracer and his anti-MSE ranting. MSE is okay...just okay. It is better than nothing and works when you couple responsible browsing with it.

Only part of his anti-MSE fanatisicm ranting that I will echo is that BitDefender and 360 Total are good free alternatives. Don't click his links that portray MSE is the bad light as you can easily find other AV tests that show MSE is just as good as BitDefender and 360 Total as well as a host of others.

The part of his anti-MSE ranting that I will completely agree on is that Nod32 is a better alternative even though you pay for it. I haven't had a reason or issue to switch to Nod as I've run MSE for a couple years along with MalwareBytes and haven't had an issue. MSE has caught a couple things MalwareBytes didn't and vice versa. Nothing is 100% perfect.

Feb 25, 2011
I use it. It's fine.

The real trick is the "responsible browsing" mentioned above. Built-in security methods are good enough that it is VERY hard for malware to be a problem if you're not a doofus that blindly clicks on things.

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
Seconding the ignore berryracer motion.

Their bias has removed them from rational conversation on the matter.

I use it. It's fine. I don't do stupid stuff online. Might not be the best, but I also don't want to have to put my computer in full-lockdown mode. Whatever you end up with should be just fine so long as you aren't an idiot when it comes to doing stuff online.

Morbus

Apr 10, 2009
Yeah, it's crapware at its finest. It lulls people into thinking they're protected, when if fact they'd be better of going bareback...

Berryracer

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2006
Seconding the ignore berryracer motion.

Their bias has removed them from rational conversation on the matter.

I use it. It's fine. I don't do stupid stuff online. Might not be the best, but I also don't want to have to put my computer in full-lockdown mode. Whatever you end up with should be just fine so long as you aren't an idiot when it comes to doing stuff online.

When Microsoft themselves tells people not to use MSE, it only means that you have no idea what security is if you continue using it

Microsoft Security Essentials (Windows Defender on Windows 8) was once on top. Over the years, its slid in the test results, but Microsoft argued the tests werent meaningful. Now, Microsoft is advising Windows users to use a third-party antivirus instead.

This revelation comes to us from an interview Microsoft gave. Microsofts official website still bills MSE as offering comprehensive malware protection without any hint that they no longer recommend using it. Microsoft is not communicating well with its users.

http://www.howtogeek.com/173291/goo...w-recommends-you-use-a-third-party-antivirus/

You think you don't have a virus? Do you think the virus will popup and say hello! I am a virus and you're infected! you might be infected and not even know it some virus sending every key you type to someone on the internet.

I hope you get infected ASAP

TheFamilyMan

Golden Member
Mar 18, 2003
When Microsoft themselves tells people not to use MSE, it only means that you have no idea what security is if you continue using it

http://www.howtogeek.com/173291/goo...w-recommends-you-use-a-third-party-antivirus/

You think you don't have a virus? Do you think the virus will popup and say hello! I am a virus and you're infected! you might be infected and not even know it some virus sending every key you type to someone on the internet.

You're a sad little person. I bet you have all these links at the handy ready and waiting...frothing at the mouth for someone to ask an antivirus question. Maybe if you did more reading of the articles you're linking vs. taking snippets out of context to try and make your point. The article actually states that Microsoft suggests users use an additional anti-virus on top of, and in conjunction with, MSE. You lose all of these arguments that you so happily leap into because of your partisanship and blatant disregard for objectivity.

If you are a responsible browser and are careful of where you go and what you click, then MSE along with MalwareBytes or another will be fine. You could replace MSE with a paid alternative and never even see the difference. Hell, I've been to some sketchy sites before and MSE did just fine in preventing any issues before I installed MalwareBytes.

If you are a user who frequents sketchy websites and will click on just about anything and everything, then a beefier paid alternative to MSE along with ANOTHER option on top of that will do you well.

Berryracer

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2006
You're a sad little person. I bet you have all these links at the handy ready and waiting...frothing at the mouth for someone to ask an antivirus question. Maybe if you did more reading of the articles you're linking vs. taking snippets out of context to try and make your point. The article actually states that Microsoft suggests users use an additional anti-virus on top of, and in conjunction with, MSE. You lose all of these arguments that you so happily leap into because of your partisanship and blatant disregard for objectivity.

If you are a responsible browser and are careful of where you go and what you click, then MSE along with MalwareBytes or another will be fine. You could replace MSE with a paid alternative and never even see the difference. Hell, I've been to some sketchy sites before and MSE did just fine in preventing any issues before I installed MalwareBytes.

If you are a user who frequents sketchy websites and will click on just about anything and everything, then a beefier paid alternative to MSE along with ANOTHER option on top of that will do you well.

I`m not gonna degrade myself to your level and attack you. If MSE was the only free option, I'd use it happily if I didn't wanna pay, but then again, there are many good FREE AVs out there. Did you ever look into 360 Total Security Essentials (Essentials is without the bloatware like system optimizer, reg cleaner, etc)

Check their rating on both AV Comparatives and AV-TEST and tell me, why not use something like that? or Bitdefender Free? or Panda Cloud AV? all which have consistent good results for years? why would I choose MSE?

It just ticks me off when someone comes asking for an AV recommendation and people tell him to install MSE! That's the worst AV out of the lot and it doesn't even classify as an AV. I have an COMPTIA Security+ Certificate and know better than to use MSE.

PS: 360 is the only free AV that requires no registration, no facbeook like us page, no ads, no nags, nada.....

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
You've already degraded yourself by attacking me.

Your utter lack of logic is astounding.

It's also worth noting that nowhere in your link did MS themselves say not to use MSE.

Berryracer

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2006
You've already degraded yourself by attacking me.

Your utter lack of logic is astounding.

It's also worth noting that nowhere in your link did MS themselves say not to use MSE.
I didn't attack you dawg.......and again, just a few posts above......I said this.....

Microsoft Security Essentials (Windows Defender on Windows 8) was once on top. Over the years, its slid in the test results, but Microsoft argued the tests werent meaningful. Now, Microsoft is advising Windows users to use a third-party antivirus instead.

This revelation comes to us from an interview Microsoft gave. Microsofts official website still bills MSE as offering comprehensive malware protection without any hint that they no longer recommend using it. Microsoft is not communicating well with its users.

PS: Use whatever makes you happy......I am just stating my 2 cents worth

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013

So, that's not an attack? Or did you conveniently decide to forget that you posted those words?

And I saw that quote. MS didn't say those words. Your quote is second, third, nth hand, or just made up. Show me a direct quote from MS, not words that some random person decided to put on the internet.

That's the problem with your ridiculous bias. Your sources are absolutely horrible.

It certainly doesn't help matters that you also feed on paranoia to make your point. See your rant at me about how I must obviously be infected. Why should I be infected? What secret information on my browsing habits do you have that would make you think I'm infected?

I don't care that you use a different product. I do care that you spout FUD non-stop.

Morbus

Apr 10, 2009
The original quote from Microsoft goes something along the lines of "Microsoft Security Essentials is so bad at protecting our costumers' computers that it risk bodily arm to its users, not to mention being a serious security liability to the computer itself. We recommend that all MSE users uninstall the software immediately and switch over to Linux".

If I'm not mistaken....

:p

Joking aside though, here's the original quote.

We’re providing all of that data and information to our partners so they can do at least as well as we are. The natural progression is that we will always be on the bottom of these tests. And honestly, if we are doing our job correctly, that’s what will happen.

Feb 25, 2011
I have an COMPTIA Security+ Certificate and know better than to use MSE.

Cool! I took the prep course for that offered by the local CC. Didn't bother taking the exam though - it was pretty stupid. We briefly mentioned antivirus software at one point, but most of it was about data center security, not desktop support.

Alexander Pope said:
a little learning is a dangerous thing

Even if you're completely right about everything, you should know better than to wave around a Security+ as if that makes you an expert.

Last edited:

Hugh Jass

Golden Member
Nov 17, 2011
Hey don't downplay his certificate man. It's what makes him better than all of us combined.

Mushkins

Golden Member
Feb 11, 2013
Another MSE thread going... precisely as expected 'round these parts. Personal threats and overstated AV statistics abound! We even got our daily dose of someone throwing around an entry level cert like it holds some sort of god-given weight :p

But jokes aside, MSE still holds above a 90% detection rate. It's free, it's low profile, it's easy on resources, and there's no daily *CLICK HERE TO BUY THE FULL VERSION* advertisement. In my book, it does precisely what an AV program is supposed to, act as a mostly reliable LAST line of defense for someone with risky computing habits. If you want to argue about zero day threats and all that, it's just a round robin of which AVs are going to miss which new threats on any given day. And if I have a specific file i'm extra concerned about, I scan it with any number of online on-demand scanners that pass it through dozens of AV engines.

Last edited: