Microsoft Security Essentials vs Zonealarm

Discussion in 'Software for Windows' started by NickelPlate, Apr 3, 2010.

1. NickelPlate

NickelPlate Senior member

I really like the simplicity and unobtrusivness of MSE but unfortunately it and ZA are not playing nice with each other and causing my computer to freeze all the time requring a hard boot.

A simple Google search brings up many discussions about people having this issue in the past but I haven't been able to find a solution other than disabling real time protection in MSE.

Anyone else have this problem under Win7 x64 and found a solution?

2. corkyg

corkyg Elite Member<br>Super Moderator <br>Peripherals
    Super Moderator

You should never have two programs of that type installed and running at the same time. MSE is much better, more efficient and less obtrusvive than Zone Alarm. I would simply uninstall ZA and get on with life.

3. NickelPlate

Hi Corky,

I have considered that. But I'm having a hard time understanding where the conflict lies. I use ZA for it's firewall functionality which MSE doesn't do (at least to my knowledge). I could use Windows firewall instead of ZA but I really like the outbound traffic notifications that ZA provides and then gives me the choice to either block or allow.

If Microsoft would implement the permission feature like ZA, I would probably drop ZA in a heartbeat. (hint hint to the folks in Redmond).

4. NickelPlate

I found a solution that seems to working pretty good for now. It's a 3rd party utility called Windows 7 Firewall Control (I just got the free version) which basically rides on top of Windows Firewall and does the outbound traffic filtering and permissions that ZA does.

http://www.sphinx-soft.com/Vista/order.html