Microsoft Security Essentials loses AV-Test certificate

Discussion in 'Software for Windows' started by Chiefcrowe, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Chiefcrowe

Chiefcrowe Diamond Member

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Microsoft Security Essentials Forum Date
    I stopped Microsoft Security Essentials mid scan Software for Windows Oct 17, 2016
    Microsoft Security Essentials - Does it always reconfigure Windows Update Software for Windows Sep 10, 2015
    Microsoft Security Essentials Software for Windows Apr 1, 2015
    Microsoft Security Essentials for Windows 4.6.305.0 Final Released Software for Windows Sep 10, 2014
    New version of Microsoft Security Essentials Software for Windows Sep 25, 2012

3. Scouzer

Scouzer Lifer

Not a surprise... MSE is a pretty terrible product.

4. Mem

Mem Lifer

#3 Mem, Dec 1, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  5. MadScientist

MadScientist Platinum Member

So is Windows Defender in Win 8 that replaced MSE an upgraded version of MSE or the same repackaged???

Did a little searching and found this:
    http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/security/what-you-should-know-about-windows-8-security-features/7900

It states that "This version of Windows Defender will also have improved performance and a smaller memory/CPU footprint." Versus what, the old Defender, which was worthless, or MSE???

And this:
    http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-8-defeated-85-of-malware-out-of-the-box

#4 MadScientist, Dec 1, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  6. MustISO

MustISO Lifer

It's fine for very basic protection but as the tests show it's detection and clean rate is pretty poor. I recommended it when it first came out but haven't in a very long time. Avast is usually my go-to for free AV.

7. colonelciller

colonelciller Senior member

they spent $1.5 billion on advertising windows 8 and yet they are letting the antivirus go to waste?

it kinda looks like they aren't taking security seriously... or could this be one more move towards 'souring the milk' on windows 7?

* DirectX 11.1 (not in 7)
    * Taking Bulit in security seriously (not in 7?)
    * What's next?

8. Steltek

Steltek Golden Member

Microsoft has always had ADD related to consumer security stuff. They'll act like they are getting serious about it for a time, then their attention flags and the products will totally disappear.

In short, business as usual. . . .

#7 Steltek, Dec 2, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  9. IlllI

IlllI Diamond Member

i got a chuckle out of this

10. FalseChristian

FalseChristian Diamond Member

That makes me feel great. Now I'm scared shitless about malware and viruses that MSE can't deal with. Ignorance is (was?) bliss.

11. nemesismk2

nemesismk2 Diamond Member

12. nemesismk2

I would never use avast for the simple (wrong) reason it sounds like it's something to do with pirates lol ;)

I live on the coast so avast me hearties i don't do pirates :)

13. colonelciller

colonelciller Senior member

is anything better than Kasperskey?

14. vailr

vailr Diamond Member

15. Dstoop

Dstoop Member

I dumped Avira when they started putting in those nagging advertisement boxes in the corner that *steal focus from all other programs*. The once-a-day splash screen was tolerable, my AV stealing program focus to advertise to me every 30 minutes causing some fullscreen apps to crash? No thanks.

Their official response? Not a bug, buy the full version!

The other thing to keep in mind from the article is that MSE's score was only .5 points below certification, and it lost most of its points due to lack of detection on zero-day threats. Zero-day threats only stay "zero-day" for between a day and a week before all major AV products have updated detection signatures for that threat. Could you make an argument that zero-day threats are the most important part of AV? Sure, but i'd say the counter argument in this case is that practically every zero-day threat is detected by some AVs and not by others, and which AVs detect each new threat is completely different. They all miss stuff, none of them are perfect, and it only makes sense that the dedicated AV research firms like Kaspersky and Norton/Symantec are better at catching more of those zero-day threats than a side-project of Microsoft. The rest of them are simply a definition update away from catching the latest threats, and these benchmark test scores can shift drastically from week to week depending on when they test and how they choose to test with *all* products tested.

For those serious power users doing all sorts of online banking, shopping, and potentially unsafe browsing, yeah, they should probably have some sort of paid-for protection. For keeping grandma's PC safe while she browses allrecipes.com and plays solitaire? There's still nothing wrong with MSE.

#14 Dstoop, Dec 12, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  16. Mem

Mem Lifer

17. Ketchup

Ketchup Elite Member

As I age, I start laughing at myself for listening to all the crap about 'this AV is better protection' or 'this one caught 2% more viruses than that one.'

I haven't had a virus in forever. Why? I don't download questionable material. I don't go to questionable sites. I don't open emails from people I don't know or don't expect to receive email from.

It's not really that hard.

18. Mem

Mem Lifer

I think a lot of people use common sense however some don't ,however AV is just another added layer of protection/security,also remember some AVs have lighter footprints(use less resources) then others so its not all about detection rates,as a gamer myself this is an important aspect with regards to using low resources.

19. Ketchup

Ketchup Elite Member

Yes, this is why I switched to Microsoft this year. I used Avira for years, but it kept getting bulkier and bulkier.

20. Engineer

Engineer Elite Member

I don't drive fast and practice defensive driving but I'm damn glad that I have airbags and seatbelts! ;)

(Point being: All it takes is one wrong click, especially by someone else using your PC (like my children)).

21. Ketchup

Ketchup Elite Member

That's why I have a virtual machine, and a user password. But I do see your point.

22. rsutoratosu

rsutoratosu Platinum Member

Any other w8 av to recommend ?

23. ZimZum

ZimZum Golden Member

Panda and pretty much any cloud based AV is light enough on resources that there is really no excuse for not using it on top of whatever AV you currently have.

#22 ZimZum, Dec 14, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  24. GrumpyMan

GrumpyMan Diamond Member

That's why I only allow my kids to be on the Guest account on my computer, which is locked down tight. :colbert:

25. Chiefcrowe

Chiefcrowe Diamond Member

26. nemesismk2

thanks for the info chief