Question Microsoft Office on Windows 10... why won't it just DIE?

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I'm trying to figure out to uninstall Microsoft Office from Windows 10 Home. It seems to come bundled with a "free" trial version, and the option to remove it doesn't seem to be available in the Uninstall menu. What's more annoying is that Microsoft updates keep stealing file associations from LibreOffice, which is the actually free office software that I want to use.

Any ideas? I tried renaming the product directories, but I guess that Microsoft saw that as "system tampering" and put them back. This thing like malware... it keeps coming back!

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Wow, Microsoft "getting vicious" with LibreOffice. Has Defender flagged it as outright malware yet? "Warning: Free Software Detected! Remove (Y/N)?"

Jimminy

May 19, 2020
I'm trying to figure out to uninstall Microsoft Office from Windows 10 Home. It seems to come bundled with a "free" trial version, and the option to remove it doesn't seem to be available in the Uninstall menu. What's more annoying is that Microsoft updates keep stealing file associations from LibreOffice, which is the actually free office software that I want to use.

Any ideas? I tried renaming the product directories, but I guess that Microsoft saw that as "system tampering" and put them back. This thing like malware... it keeps coming back!

Have you tried Revo uninstaller? There's a free version that may be worth trying out.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007

JWMiddleton

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2000
I recently bought a Dell OptiPlex 7020 MT that is running Win 10 Pro 21H2. I installed it a few months ago and uninstalled any trace of Office in the Apps section of Control Panel. I run LibreOffice and have no issues. No clue why you are having problems.

John

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I found that it's less of a Microsoft problem and more of a wife problem. She was using the free Microsoft Office trial on her laptop (even though I had LibreOffice on there... grr) and it transferred over to my gaming rig when she logged on with her Microsoft account on my system.

I guess that this is yet another reason not to like Microsoft account logons. If you use them, "your" computer becomes Microsoft's computer.

• Wow
Reactions: igor_kavinski

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Oh wow. I would recommend not sharing computers in this case. Well at least you found the reason.

If she needs a gaming system, you guys could always put a new one together :p Tis the season.