Microsoft Office 365 install issues

JC0133

Nov 2, 2010
I am trying to install a free student version of Microsoft Office 365 and it keeps stalling out on the "We're getting things ready" part.

I have no idea why it will not install. I went to the trouble shoot page and I try to run all the steps from there. I downloaded the Microsoft uninstaller and run that, to make sure I don't have any old or left parts from office, so I can get a clean install.

I restarted. I made sure I was using a Ethernet cable vs wireless.

Any other ideas of how I can get Microsoft Office installed?

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I'd have a poke around in the temp folder for a log file, maybe that will help narrow down the cause.

I'd also have a look in the event log (application and system) for any clues.

If Win7, sfc /scannow
If =>Win8x, dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
try the installation again

Failing that, chkdsk C: /f /v /r
try the installation again

JC0133

Nov 2, 2010
I am in windows 10. here is the error code

Can’t install Office 365 Error code 30125-1011 (12007)

Bubbaleone

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2011
As previously mentioned, there's a lot of different troubleshooting steps you can take in order to quickly narrow down the potential causes and that's good advice. The reason being, there is no specific solution for that specific error occuring on your specific PC. Application install failures are nearly always the result of another running background process/es that crashes the application installer. Hence, the advice regarding troubleshooting procedures.

However, I'd suggest you try a simple (time proven) "Diagnostic Startup" solution first: Close any running apps then type "msconfig" in 'search programs and files'. Right-click msconfig.exe and select run as administrator which opens the system configuration dialogue box. Under the general tab note which startup type is currently selected, then select 'Diagnostic startup', click apply, click ok, but select 'restart later' not 'restart now'.

Open search again and type "services" (run as admin), which opens the services control panel. Scroll down the list to "Windows Installer" and double-click it, which opens the windows installer properties dialogue box. Set 'startup type' to 'automatic', click apply, click start, click ok, close services control panel, and now reboot. Now try installing 365 and if successful, open msconfig again and simply select your original startup type, then reboot.

Edit: Read this MS article: Use the Office 2016 offline installer

If you end up stuck with having to use the web install, simply start all the following network services at the same time you're in the Services control panel starting up the Windows Installer service. After reboot proceed with the 365 web installation.

Background Intelligent Transfer Service
COM+ Event System
Computer Browser
DHCP Client
DNS Client
Network Connections
Network Location Awareness
Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
Server
TCP/IP Netbios helper
Wireless Zero Configuration
WLAN AutoConfig
Workstation

Last edited:

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
I would also go into the MS download folder and clear everything out forcing the installer to download the entire package. When I was running 365 I did have a few hiccups during the download process but it was always able to pick back up where it left off. This worked on my tablet and laptop as I used 365 as a backup to my desktop software.

The other thing is that some stand alone MS software can conflict with web based installers. I can't use some more current MS products that I have such as Office 2013 pro plus because its a web based install and it conflicts with stand alone packages such as Project 2016 and Visio 2016 that I need for classes forcing me to use the stand alone Office 2010 pro plus.

If you cannot get past the install problem I would open a ticket with MS tech support and see if they can resolve the issue for you.

JC0133

Nov 2, 2010
Thanks I was able to get it to install by going to my college campus. It installed very quickly. I guess for some reason I needed a faster internet connect.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
Glad to hear you got your issue resolved. Today I was able to get office 2016 pro plus through my student software store and installed it along with visio 2016 pro and project 2016 pro so now I've got the latest versions on my desktop. That allowed me to install office 2013 pro plus on my laptop just in case I have to use it as a back up computer.