Microsoft Lumia 640 4G LTE - GPS not working correctly

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I moved on from my Nokia Lumia 520 to the Microsoft Lumia 640 4G LTE. Got the 520 because I wanted the offline GPS. It worked great for that and I got into a bunch of other features. It cost me $60, and the 640 which I bought over a year later cost me 1/2 that at $30.

The GPS used to work OK on the 640 but the last couple times I tried using it, it was useless to me. The app seemed to work but there was little or no audio. I can't be looking at the thing for directions while I'm driving!!! Yesterday I tried using it. The 520 (and the 640, IIRC) used to always, after I selected a destination and tapped Go!, used to say audibly something like "head up X street to Y street and make a right turn." Yesterday, using the 640 (and the time before that) after directing the phone to start the navigation, I heard nothing. Yesterday several minutes after setting the destination while in the house, I got in the car (~20 feet from my house) and it said audibly something like "go to Y street." Now, I could see the route on the screen and knew that it wanted me to ultimately go down Z street but it had picked a circuitous route. so I ignored the command and just headed to Z street, where it ultimately wanted me to go. It should have recalculated and directed me on Z street, saying something audibly, but I never heard another sound, even after some turns! I then turned on my 520, which I keep in the car basically in case I forget the 640. But now that the 640 seems useless for GPS, having the 520 in the car seems like an excellent idea, even though it doesn't have data capabilities anymore because I moved the SIM over to the 640. The downloaded maps on the 520 include most of my prospective destinations.

I thought maybe if I turn off the screen on the 640 it would start with the audible commands (the 520 and 640 never stopped audible GPS commands when locking the screen) but still no audio.

So, the question is, what can I do to restore the 640's GPS functionality?