News Microsoft kicks off the rollout of Windows 10 21H1 | ZDNet

Chiefcrowe

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
My first upgrade was very quick and I am hoping that since it is a minor update, no major problems crop up after using it for a while. Fingers crossed! So far so good.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
I took timing and wrote it down in 20H2.

I did similar precess in the last few hours with two computers using 21H1.

The timing and the amount of cleaning was similar to 20H2 (may be few min. faster).

:cool:

Reactions: Chiefcrowe

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Yay, it's here!

Ok, so I updated a number of laptops last night (was up all night doing so).

No problems to report, but just a "quirk", that's also happening on my main Ryzen desktop with RX 5700XT and RX5700, 32GB RAM, 1TB NVMe, etc.

I just updated my AMD drivers, and then rebooted, and then went to Windows Update, and did the feature update. On my desktop, it was hella quick, very little needed to be done, because I was previously up-to-date.

But it seems like, the first time that you do Windows Update on 21H1, it just... sits there, with the "moving dots". For a LONG time. (Might want to reboot at that point.)

There is a NET framework and Cumulative Update for May for 21H1 that comes down from WU, but it seems like it takes a long time to initially find them? Or is this a server-side thing? I've read that MS keeps a server-side "mirror" of the updates that you client needs, basically a remote inventory of the updates that your PC has. Maybe it has to re-sync that back up on the server, once you install 21H1? Just a guess, a shot in the dark.

Last edited:

Chiefcrowe

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
FYI - If anyone is curious:

I've updated about 10-12 machines now with various configurations and had no issues with using the Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant that I got from here:

Upgrading from as early as v. 1809 worked fine for me.

Jimminy

May 19, 2020
Yay, it's here!

Ok, so I updated a number of laptops last night (was up all night doing so).

No problems to report, but just a "quirk", that's also happening on my main Ryzen desktop with RX 5700XT and RX5700, 32GB RAM, 1TB NVMe, etc.

I just updated my AMD drivers, and then rebooted, and then went to Windows Update, and did the feature update. On my desktop, it was hella quick, very little needed to be done, because I was previously up-to-date.

But it seems like, the first time that you do Windows Update on 21H1, it just... sits there, with the "moving dots". For a LONG time. (Might want to reboot at that point.)

There is a NET framework and Cumulative Update for May for 21H1 that comes down from WU, but it seems like it takes a long time to initially find them? Or is this a server-side thing? I've read that MS keeps a server-side "mirror" of the updates that you client needs, basically a remote inventory of the updates that your PC has. Maybe it has to re-sync that back up on the server, once you install 21H1? Just a guess, a shot in the dark.

My old machine running 20H2 hung forever. Windos flag, spinning dots. I forced a shutdown (holding power buttton down). Wouldn't boot, so I booted a window rescue disk (repair startup) SFC found and fixed problems.

21H1 was a very shitty update for me.