News Microsoft is making big Windows 10 update changes starting with the May 2019 release

Chiefcrowe

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
Microsoft is making changes to the way it will be rolling out feature updates for Windows 10 starting with the 19H1/1903 release, which is now officially known as the "May 2019 Update." Here's what's new.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/micro...e-changes-starting-with-the-may-2019-release/

Windows 10 will no longer auto install feature updates twice a year
Microsoft is making huge changes to the way Windows as a Service works, giving back users control of when new updates are installed.

https://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-will-no-longer-force-windows-10-feature-updates-users

This is great news!!!

Lemmilloo

Apr 4, 2019
Thanks a lot, it's great news. I think notifications about the end of support are a great deal! So you'll know when you really need to update.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Thanks a lot, it's great news. I think notifications about the end of support are a great deal! So you'll know when you really need to update.
You mean being nagged to update when you don't want to, then being forcefully updated anyway after a time period, when the last thing you cared about was "end of support"?

If you just want to stay updated, just let windows do its thing without telling you, but some of us just want a setting to completely disable it, not play around with time limits and reminders.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
I don't see a need to be all doom and gloom about it. Microsoft can continue feeding OS updates to those who want it, and those who don't can say no, which should be it for a while. It's the way it should have been from the start, but I can understand the desire for Microsoft to get their OS in a proper state before deploying something like this.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Dont care, installed shutup10 months ago to get rid of this crap. To little way to late.

MS has no clue how to program an operating system. When it will just restart while you have many programs open and not saved without saving them first you know you have failed in programming and should go back to school or get a new job. After the second time i went to make dinner and then came back to hours of work lost was the final straw for me.

Feb 4, 2009
Microsoft is making changes to the way it will be rolling out feature updates for Windows 10 starting with the 19H1/1903 release, which is now officially known as the "May 2019 Update." Here's what's new.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/micro...e-changes-starting-with-the-may-2019-release/

Windows 10 will no longer auto install feature updates twice a year
Microsoft is making huge changes to the way Windows as a Service works, giving back users control of when new updates are installed.

https://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-will-no-longer-force-windows-10-feature-updates-users

This is great news!!!

It is, last update screwed up chrome & outlook for me.
Admittedly my machine is old, however having no rollback option if MS auto updated does the update stinks.

I understand manual updates are too risky because nobody does them. Just saying allow a rollback ability all the time after an update.

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012
I understand manual updates are too risky because nobody does them. Just saying allow a rollback ability all the time after an update.

Not sure what you mean. I've always manually updated to the latest version. I'd rather do it on my schedule than MS's. I always create an image first too in case there is an issue, but so far have never had a problem where I needed to go back.

Feb 4, 2009
It's May, when are we going to see 1903 Update? I want some fresh ISOs and Media Creation Tool software! :)

How does one turn off the auto update, my old machine did not like the last update. Don’t want to do battle with it again.

***for the record I don’t think auto updates are a bad thing. Just a bad thing for people like me sporting a 10 year old machine.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
How does one turn off the auto update, my old machine did not like the last update. Don’t want to do battle with it again.

***for the record I don’t think auto updates are a bad thing. Just a bad thing for people like me sporting a 10 year old machine.

ShutUp 10 will turn off updates if you tick the box.

mpo

Jan 8, 2010
Updated a Windows 10 Pro to version 1903. It is a home-built computer. It had trouble updating after the Spring 2018 update, so this was a year jump in versions. Not going to update 2 other computers with Win 10 Home until this proves stable.

Windows Update can be paused in 7 day increments up to 5 weeks into the future. Today is 5/23; clicking on the pause updates button increments to 5/30, 6/6, 6/13, 6/20, and 6/27. Clicking on 'check for updates' returns to change immediately. (Under the advanced options, you can pause until a selected date, so the control is finer grained.)

Active hours that prevents booting can still be user-defined. The computer can also adjust active hours based on usage. The recommendation was offset by 2 hours. Guess I work on the computer later than I realize.

I did get one update that required a reboot during active hours. Didn't document the actual wording, but it did have options for when I wanted to reboot.

Some other things that are new...

The start menu search is a welcome change. When you open the start menu and type, the typing appears in a search box. You are no longer typing blind. The search can be limited to apps, documents, settings, etc. It was a bit of a surprise when the search bar first appeared.

Windows Sandbox. Started pretty quickly and painlessly. Another big surprise for this computer--it was able to recognize the internet right off the bat. Under Hyper-V, this computer would tend to hiccup the first time you launch a browser with Windows 10.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Yep, the official MCT and ISOs are out. Still, I assume that they are going to update these ISOs, because of the current bug in 1903, whereas, it won't let you plug in a USB stick and upgrade a Win10 system, as it detects any plugged-in USB storage as a "hardware incompatibility" or somesuch.