Microsoft is committing suicide with Windows 8

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

hhhd1

Apr 8, 2012
Going to desktop is not going to solve the problem, I do not think it is a problem anyway, it can be used to launch some application after boot.

I posted this in a different thread, but it is more suitable here:

try those in desktop:

- in the taskbar, click on the network icons.
- right click on any file, select 'open with', click choose default program.
- try to shutdown ??
- try to open any file like a music or a video or an xps document, the default is to open in metro, and you have to switch all files manually to regular programs.
- at the start screen, when viewing 'all apps', the metro apps are using all the screen, u have to scroll for a bit to see the normal apps.
- try to insert a dvd, autoplay menu is metro, click anywhere else accidentally and the menu is instantly gone.

MS is simply giving desktop users the finger.

N4g4rok

Sep 21, 2011
Office, Microsoft's biggest application for the average user, doesn't work well on the tablet. Even with ribbon the buttons are too small. The settings can be difficult to reach and the touch-based keyboard is wonky.

The control panel is also not Metro-fied. It's still in desktop mode and nigh impossible to accurately modify via touch.

Certain applications on Metro that have desktop counterparts require that you use the desktop app in order to get to the settings that the Metro version has hidden.

Multi-tasking on Metro is still impossible unless you've got the right combination of applications open. A lot of them just don't work when minimized, since it essentially acts as a close.

Tablet users will have to drop out of Metro sooner rather than later. Had Metro been forced and the desktop disappeared then people wouldn't be complaining, but that's not the case. If that tablet user who bought a Windows tablet wants to use anything legacy then they might as well have bought a cheaper laptop better suited to the task.

Microsoft doesn't understand that tablets aren't productivity devices, touch is still years away from reaching M+KB ease of use and that people won't pay upwards of $900 for an underpowered laptop. This won't end well.

New versions of office are looking to be overly touch friendly. Which should be fun to see the M+KB crowd try to get used to. Not so excited for that.

As far as the control panel goes, the idea is that whatever mode you're in will have it's own control panel. I think it holds true for the most part, but i haven't played with Win8 after the Developer preview came out.

it's a little twisted, but the best way Microsoft can handle this is to do their whole touch innovation thing while keeping the legacy Win7 desktop users in mind, essentially creating a fork in their development path. Which would end up in a lot of raised eyebrows, mainly because it would just have been simpler to split up the OSs in the first place.

We'll assume the microsoft OS pattern holds true and Windows 9 will be worth it.

hhhd1

Apr 8, 2012
try to use the corners in a multi monitor setup, its a bit strange, too much involvement of mouse gestures.

Last edited:

happysmiles

May 1, 2012
I think this thread should be merged with the official win 8 thread. pretty much same replies in both

finbarqs

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2005
sell your shares in microsoft right now!!!! this is going to be techno-death for M$

they're going to be the poorest kid on the block now... Somebody needs to buy them out and tell them to scrap this dumb idea..

finbarqs

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2005
I hope so, if anybody who knows how to make a superior product, it's google...

AnitaPeterson

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
I installed the Release Preview last night... What a joke of an operating system! It suffers from a multiple personality disorder, trying to be everything for everyone - and it will likely just alienate both beginners and heavy users.

Come October, we should all brace ourselves for an avalanche of confused and angry people.

happysmiles

May 1, 2012
I installed the Release Preview last night... What a joke of an operating system! It suffers from a multiple personality disorder, trying to be everything for everyone - and it will likely just alienate both beginners and heavy users.

Come October, we should all brace ourselves for an avalanche of confused and angry people.

Or happy fingering!

Xbox Music is a terrible title (makes sense in the smart glass scheme of things)
And doesn't feel like a PC program, rather some jukebox thingy..
I thought Zune software was cut down to stupidity.....

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
The worse part about all this is because MS is so big and powerful they will still somehow benefit from this. They'll force it down everyone's throat, convince everyone they need a tablet and only a tablet, everyone will follow suit and buy that. Companies who buy desktops will only be able to buy them with windows 8 and there will be limited drivers for 7 as they'll do on purpose (by having an influence on OEMs) that the hardware is badly compatible with 7.

Though, it would be pretty awesome to see this actually flop. It might make the industry realize that there is still a need for desktop PCs and perhaps they'll stop trying to kill them.

AnandThenMan

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2004
I think the industry is past the point where Microsoft can bully and monopoly their way to success.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
I made a ton of cash installing XP for people during the early bad days of Vista, looks like I should stock up on Win7 Home Premium licenses now.

hhhd1

Apr 8, 2012
windows XP support ends on 2014,

according to this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems

XP has a huge usage share, over 20%, and close to 40% in some estimates.

many users and enterprise dis-like 'vista' as well as '7'.

try to move all those users to the newest windows, windows 8.

if things went as above, we should see some real move to linux, in enterprise and OEM.

probably not the current ubuntu, maybe something derived from it or something else.

if linux where able to get a descent share of desktop PCs, and started getting the interest of coders and major software manufacturers, it is going to be competing face to face with windows.

Windows is going to loose that fight just like mobile and server OS'es

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Yep would be cool to see a nice Linux business OS. Someone needs to come up with a Linux version of AD and Exchange and other collaboration and management tools. Those are two of the big things that make companies stick with Windows. But if Linux could offer a turnkey enterprise network solution, think more companies would look at it.

tommo123

Platinum Member
Sep 25, 2005
businesses want an OS that most people know how to use so they don't have to train them. same reason why office won out over lotus notes iirc (office was copied like crazy).

i would like to see more work put into linux. i keep on trying it every now and then but something always stops me.