Microsoft forgot to pay their domain name bill again?

Platypus

Lifer
Apr 26, 2001
Outlook, Skype, Xbox Live and Office 365 too supposedly, some team is having a really bad day at Microsoft.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Kind of mind boggling that a big company can let a domain expire (not sure if that's what happened this time but pretty sure it's happened before).

I always ensure that all my domains expire in at least 1 year from now. Once in a while I'll login to my registrar and sort by expiry and renew the ones that expire in the same year. Really important ones get like 5+ years.

You'd think big companies would have a dedicated person just for that kind of stuff. Managing domains, and other administrative stuff or things that can expire. Any kind of licensing/compliance stuff etc.... you can probably have one person that dos just that.

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
I had trouble trying to reach their activation server yesterday for reactivating Windows (rebuilt a PC with new motherboard). Figured it was more likely their system was just flaky at the time, not down.

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
I don't think it was a domain issue. I mean in terms of it expiring. I get an E-mail from my register and I'm sure M$'s own Azure DNS is way different. Like Amazon's AWS crap a couple weeks ago, I'm sure there was a glitch in the "Cloud."

Ventanni

Golden Member
Jul 25, 2011
Not a domain issue. Microsoft is our client where I work, and the outage impacted several of the programs we used. But it was definitely not a domain issue.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Unable to logon to Office 365 for about a half hour yesterday. Outlook client worked fine.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Kind of mind boggling that a big company can let a domain expire (not sure if that's what happened this time but pretty sure it's happened before).

I always ensure that all my domains expire in at least 1 year from now. Once in a while I'll login to my registrar and sort by expiry and renew the ones that expire in the same year. Really important ones get like 5+ years.

You'd think big companies would have a dedicated person just for that kind of stuff. Managing domains, and other administrative stuff or things that can expire. Any kind of licensing/compliance stuff etc.... you can probably have one person that dos just that.
Kind of mind boggling that we are in this situation where we need dedicated people so that our businesses aren't destroyed by domain registrations that default to being off--often with no email, no bill mailed, no phone call, no notification (note: some places now email). Tack on the price of a postage stamp with each registration and send a bill like every other business. Oh, no, think of how expensive they will be now!

That we have to hire a person so that the business we do business with will bill us is just silly. Sure, big companies can afford to do that. But I've worked at several small companies where no one knew that it would expire, no one knew to keep looking at a registrar with the mindset that it would expire without warning, and certainly did not get any bill or any other form of warning. Of course I know that now, but I don't work at a small company anymore either so this knowledge doesn't help me. But how many new small businesses open each day and why do these all need to be experts in domain registrations or risk having their business destroyed over a lack of a mailed bill?

Last edited:

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
^ all I know is godaddy hounded me to renew starting from 90 days out. I got at least 6 emails per domain. Maybe they're using an inbox that is not monitored. At least the last time it was a domain issue...

Anyway, after this outage, Hotmail is dead to me (other than OneDrive).

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Yeah most registrars will send notices. Personally I don't like relying on that or waiting that long though. Can also set auto renew, but don't like relying on that either as credit card numbers can change over the years, cards can expire etc. I just make it a habit to login to my registrar at least once a year to renew anything that's coming up in the next year or so.

I could very well be wrong but I think registering a domain that far out has some effect on SEO too.