Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
do any of you go all out for your flight sims and drop $500 in a foreign bank account? :D
I've been wanting those for my military rig setup. I've spent a lot more on quality HOTAS and VR setup initially. I just don't have enough space for the MFG Crosswinds. They are supposedly the best pedals you can get on account that they are also customizable in range of motion.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
A surprise to no one: The launch was borked.

No matter where you bought the game, you have to download it with Microsoft's installer, and it fouled up almost everyone.
People either cant download, download so slowly its pointless, got hang ups, or somehow managed to install it but had trouble running it.
The handful of people who got it working had very simple reviews, like "ITS AWESOME!" and no other descriptors.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
oh, apparently on Steam you can miss the two hour refund window, because the game is considered Running while installing.

Really? I never knew that if something is installing it will count as time spent. How does steam measure that if it must be installed through Microsoft installer?

My intention is to download it through Microsoft anyway since I don't have to pay anything due to gamepass.

Pretty sure steam will make an exception here on account of having it running to download stuff from MS.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
This is why I rarely buy anything it is first launched (especially games). It always seems like their are major headaches/issues/patches.

I was looking forward to this game, but I'll likely wait a bit before jumping onboard.

Reactions: Arkaign and Ranulf

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
My buddy just got the game through game pass and he said the installation went really quickly without any issues. I wonder what version he downloaded.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
https://www.pcgamer.com/10-places-every-microsoft-flight-simulator-player-should-visit-first/

Man this game looks amazing. Must wait.........

sa6dkkwqdLdyqXHK53cEAn-650-80.jpg

EiH4VG93kmgCeHwWVHikHZ-650-80.jpg

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
A surprise to no one: The launch was borked.

No matter where you bought the game, you have to download it with Microsoft's installer, and it fouled up almost everyone.
People either cant download, download so slowly its pointless, got hang ups, or somehow managed to install it but had trouble running it.
The handful of people who got it working had very simple reviews, like "ITS AWESOME!" and no other descriptors.

i had a couple of hiccups - while trying to start the download/install, it got screwed up with my "xbox insider hub" status.

once i hit windows key + G and did settings - account - sign out, then it auto-signed me back in and continued the download process

annoying but i expected as much from a beta-ish platform like the windows game thing seems to be

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Really? I never knew that if something is installing it will count as time spent. How does steam measure that if it must be installed through Microsoft installer?

Time spent installing/downloading using Steam's installation process doesn't count. The problem is with games that use small downloads that execute launchers that then download the actual software. The issue is that Steam counts your time played as from when you hit the "Play" button, which is when Steam will actually launch the executable. So, if your executable then spends two hours or longer downloading the actual game files, Steam counts that as time played. The same thing happens if you're sitting in a pre-initialization game dialog (as is common in bad console ports that don't add actual PC options menus).

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
it was finished installing when i woke up though and wow... i'm loving it so far
What all have you done in it? Are the tutorials like they were before? I'm really not used to the MS flight series other than randomly doing free play which after some time gets boring.

Does it have a sort of career mode or campaign where let's say you start as a small time pilot, learn the basics and then go up from there ?

Hans Gruber

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2006
I went through my MS Flight Simulator inventory. My first copy was MS FS 1995. I think X-:plane 11 will end up on my spinner drive.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Got it installed yesterday and finished the training this morning. For some reason it is set to ultra settings and my monitor's frame rate counter remained at 120hz the whole time. I didn't notice any stutter or performance issues.

It does look very good and it's much more enjoyable flying through the different areas. I wish it had some sort of campaign mode. It would be fun to start out as a small pilot, and then end up flying some of the bigger planes.

Also, I did choose to install the deluxe bundle through gamepass but I don't see all the content. At this point I'm not sure what version it installed.

Still don't understand all the controls for the menu and how you pull up the checklist, etc. Mapping inputs was pretty simple. Only thing I needed to map was the axis and trim.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
Also, I did choose to install the deluxe bundle through gamepass but I don't see all the content. At this point I'm not sure what version it installed.

Gamepass only includes standard. When I go to the Deluxe page in the store it says I can play FS with gamepass or buy Deluxe.

Forgot to setup the download overnight, will have to wait another day, not that I am hugely interested, just will play because I have gamepass. :) Does look like a nice way to relax though.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Gamepass only includes standard. When I go to the Deluxe page in the store it says I can play FS with gamepass or buy Deluxe.
Makes sense. I guess if I don't get bored with it later I will get the full bundle.

I liked that FSX had missions, this one doesn't seem to have the same style.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
Yep super easy to find the stadiumsView attachment 28302

RIP

there are a million people buzzing epstein's island right now in live mode, so i flew the icon a5 aquatic plane out there and landed next to it

and just took in the mayhem that is everything from cessna 152s to 787 dreamliners all divebombing an island

and then i pulled off a smooth as butter landing going back to cyril e. king airport. ATC yelled at me though because i cut off a jet that was about to take off.

Last edited:

renz20003

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2011
RIP

there are a million people buzzing epstein's island right now in live mode, so i flew the icon a5 aquatic plane out there and landed next to it

and just took in the mayhem that is everything from cessna 152s to 787 dreamliners all divebombing an island

and then i pulled off a smooth as butter landing going back to cyril e. king airport. ATC yelled at me though because i cut off a jet that was about to take off.

Wait there’s multiplayer and you can play ATC?

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
Wait there’s multiplayer and you can play ATC?

oh yeah, turn on all traffic before starting the flight

the ATC always yells at me but i rarely listen

i just landed my icon in crater lake with live weather on... freaking gorgeous! plus little cars driving on the auto-detected road around the rim.

3ntlRYK.png