Microsoft bought the Havok game engine.

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
Seem Microsoft bought the Havok engine that games like Bioshock uses. Wonder how this will effect games going forward. At least it looks like MS is moving forward on it's claims that it's supporting gaming.

link

Dahak

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
Well its not a full game engine in the way that Unreal or Unity is, but the physics engine that a lot of other engines use.

I think that it makes a bit more sense that MS owns it vs intel, as MS has some game developer studios, and could see the possibility of it being tweaked for better usage on xbox primarily and pcs too

Rakehellion

Lifer
Jan 15, 2013
Bioshock uses the Unreal engine.

Havok is one of the oldest physics engines and it's used in Halo, Dark Souls, Fallout 3, and hundreds of other titles.

Denithor

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
I wonder if now that Havok will be agnostic (no preference between Intel/AMD) they could rig something up to run on the integrated graphics processors on all CPUs these days. Or does it still make more sense to process physics on the discrete cards, leaving the iGPU turned off in most cases?

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
I wonder if now that Havok will be agnostic (no preference between Intel/AMD) they could rig something up to run on the integrated graphics processors on all CPUs these days. Or does it still make more sense to process physics on the discrete cards, leaving the iGPU turned off in most cases?

As long as it doesn't become Windows / Xbox exclusive.

PrincessFrosty

Platinum Member
Feb 13, 2008
www.frostyhacks.blogspot.com
Microsoft should just stay out of gaming, everything they touch goes to shit, the Xbone is a complete and total joke and shot itself in the **** on the way out of the gate, their shitty DRM and games store all got closed down leaving loads of games unplayable, we desperately need them to keep their grubby mitts off anything related to gaming with the exception of DX support in windows.

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
Microsoft should just stay out of gaming, everything they touch goes to shit, the Xbone is a complete and total joke and shot itself in the **** on the way out of the gate, their shitty DRM and games store all got closed down leaving loads of games unplayable, we desperately need them to keep their grubby mitts off anything related to gaming with the exception of DX support in windows.

I wish I could fail as well as the Xbox did..

PrincessFrosty

Platinum Member
Feb 13, 2008
www.frostyhacks.blogspot.com
I wish I could fail as well as the Xbox did..

What a more expensive console which performs worse than the competition with worse DRM and about 1/5th of the sales during the initial surge, and a device with an awful UI and focused on being a fancy TV remote when everyone wanted a gaming machine.

I'm guessing that Microsoft haven't made any profit from the Xbone yet and wont for years, how is that failing well?

They got completely trashed and embarrased at their E3 launch, Sony nailed it and continue to do so ever since with better titles at higher frame rates and higher FPS.

This is a company that is completely out of touch with what gamers want, and that's a dangerous thing when they're buying up very popular middleware and get to start toying with how it works, they're a blight on gaming to put it mildly.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
What a more expensive console which performs worse than the competition with worse DRM and about 1/5th of the sales during the initial surge, and a device with an awful UI and focused on being a fancy TV remote when everyone wanted a gaming machine.

I'm guessing that Microsoft haven't made any profit from the Xbone yet and wont for years, how is that failing well?<-- your guess is fact?? Why don`t you back up your diatribe with printed facts??

They got completely trashed and embarrased at their E3 launch, Sony nailed it and continue to do so ever since with better titles at higher frame rates and higher FPS.<-- more unsubstantiated opinion??

This is a company that is completely out of touch with what gamers want, and that's a dangerous thing when they're buying up very popular middleware and get to start toying with how it works, they're a blight on gaming to put it mildly.
You don`t know what your talking about...

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013
Well I think I am far more ok with Microsoft as owner of Havok than Intel who did absolute crap with advancing physics in video games for the past 10 to 15 years or so.

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013
This is going to be absolutely amazing.

No more suffering the piss of Nvidia blocking out AMD users from good physics.

And now if Microsoft integrating physics into DX we might get the promises of advanced physics in games when Ageia was building discrete graphics cards for desktops.