Microsoft announces a holographic headset

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
I don't know why you guys are claiming this is all impossible right now. Unless MS has pulled off some elaborate scam this is working now, albeit in a limited fashion. Just read the hands on reviews of the demos.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/21/7868251/microsoft-hololens-hologram-hands-on-experience

There is a CPU block you hang around your neck apparently.

the issue is that what they represent in the videos(wide field view filled with the 3d assets, the use of the word "holographic", the level of interaction speed and responsiveness, the resolution and level of graphical rendering) is nowhere near what the hardware is capable of delivering.

at best they have achieved is the minimum level of real world view tracking. and since there is no mention of the pixel resolution or fov(generally pretty narrow based on the verge article) this may be the equivalent of a rift DK1 in terms of hardware capability(good enough for proof of concept, nowhere near what anyone should/would pay money for). if a reviewer reports that they can whip pan their head with no lag and no affect on asset alignment, then they can claim something impressive.

the things(hardware/software) required to deliver the level of experience portrayed in the videos dont yet exist. this is a baby step not a final product.

a pseudo minecraft interactive demo and 2 canned non interactive demos are not enough to justify the overpromising the "holographic" experience videos are suggesting.

there are a bunch of other companies doing similar development, but none of them would ever dream of putting their work out as a finished product as ms has.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
This is what I'm waiting on.

maxresdefault.jpg

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
a pseudo minecraft interactive demo and 2 canned non interactive demos are not enough to justify the overpromising the "holographic" experience videos are suggesting.

They were all interactive demos, except for the design studio which was demoed by an employee.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Wow, this thing looks freaking amazing. I'd kill forty or fifty people to be able to try out the demo.

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003
While it looks awesome and may eventually happen, this reminds me of the video they had for what could be possible with the Kinect.

And on a side note, if and when this technology becomes feasible, how many will break because people will walk right into walls and/or fall off of things?

MarkXIX

Platinum Member
Jan 3, 2010
First, today's presentations, especially from Satay Nadella seemed "Jobsian" in nature. I like it.

Second, it is becoming clear that Microsoft is trying to shift from being an almost pure software company to being a hardware, software, services company akin to Apple, and that's not a bad thing.

Third, it amazes me that people on other forums can't seem to comprehend Windows 10 being free, yet if Apple gives away a major OS revision free and calls it come cool, cat name they're the best EVAR.

Finally, I hope Microsoft doesn't screw this up. I'm typing this on my Surface Pro 3, by far one of my best computing purchases ever. But they went and screwed that up as soon as I tried to take a picture of a document and have it appear legible. Point being, this thing was damn near perfect but they fucked up the rear facing camera focus so bad that I can't even take a picture of a document and make it appear in OneNote properly. Damn it Microsoft, don't half ass not one single thing going forward, please?!

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
and no one is going to be able to walk around tethered to a pc with a gpu powerful enough to do any of these things. any mobile soc with enough gpu power will bleed a battery dry in less than an hour at any resolution high enough to even come close to "hologram".
TFA talks about how much heat the glasses produce.
Yet, Kipman points out, the computer doesn’t grow hot on your head, because the warm air is vented out through the sides.
You're probably right about battery life, unless you carry batteries elsewhere.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
The one thing I don't understand about VR is the nausea factor. I've watched quite a few podcasts where whoever tried the glasses got sick.

AR isn't VR. VR causes such issues because your senses get confused by the movement.
With AR you can still see where you are in a room/etc.