Microsoft and Nvidia abandon PC Gaming Alliance

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
No clue what the goals of this alliance are, but who cares if they are just letting shoddy console ports come over like free flowing water.

Also regardless of the alliances goal, the lost of MS is no biggie, they left PC gaming years ago, and nvidia, lol they sell PC hardware, they can go blow smoke up someone elses ass that might enjoy it, maybe the console crowd.

Rakewell

Platinum Member
Feb 2, 2005
I think the "alliance" is a bit of a joke. From the article:

This actually appears to be a much bigger issue than it actually is. The PC gaming alliance has been pretty uninspiring to date, with PC gaming’s renewed vigor coming almost despite its efforts. We do wonder just what Microsoft in particular is up to though – leaving the alliance seems to fly in the face of its renewed development of PC games and the hiring of former HP gaming PC guy Rahul Sood to its entertainment division as GM of System Experience.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
This reminds me of Valve's Powerplay alliance.

Carmack on Powerplay said:
I had a long talk with a couple people from Valve about the PowerPlay initiative, but they couldn't give me enough specific technical details for me to endorse it. I'm all for improvements in networking infrastructure, but at this point, there isn't anything actually there, just an intention to improve gaming. They need to tell me SPECIFICALLY what I am supposed to be endorsing. At some point, bits have to go into packets and routers need to make decisions on them. Changes at that level is what I want to hear about, not strategic company relationships.

Its like every couple of years a bunch of companies build a little fort and pretend to save the damsel in distress that is PC gaming. Then they realize its make believe and go home.

Darklife

Mar 11, 2008
It's not that big a surprise if it included such esteemed PC developers like KONAMI.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
Microsoft does not want the windows operating system as a gaming platform - it competes against Xbox.

By selling a desktop os and a separate gaming console, microsoft is doubling its money. If microsoft was serious about pc gaming, they would have released some kind of special operating system targeted towards gamers years ago, instead of bloated desktop OSs.

lamedude

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2011
So Windows8 is delayed or MS take back that whole we'll start caring about PC gaming with Win8.

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
Microsoft does not want the windows operating system as a gaming platform - it competes against Xbox.

By selling a desktop os and a separate gaming console, microsoft is doubling its money. If microsoft was serious about pc gaming, they would have released some kind of special operating system targeted towards gamers years ago, instead of bloated desktop OSs.

Yes, bloated desktop OSs. I guess that's why my CPU usage in task manager is at 3% idle typical, and that's at my 955's 800MHz idle frequency, with foobar playing music and firefox open. And it looks like Windows services might be using at least 500MB of my RAM :eek: Only 7GB free for games, damn.

You're kidding yourself if you think Windows being "bloated" has anything to do with PC game performance or availability these days. It's because the money is in console games.

BD231

Lifer
Feb 26, 2001
So Windows8 is delayed or MS take back that whole we'll start caring about PC gaming with Win8.

Little is known about this new gaming focus in Windows 8, for all we know it could be a massive push towards copyright protection/xbox live integration and nothing more.

I really don't understand why people say Microsoft does not want people playing games on the PC though, that's a selling point for them and somehow I doubt they'd overlook popularity/innovation the 3D market offers to the PC.

With all the open source OS's available these days every compatibility perk counts.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
I really don't understand why people say Microsoft does not want people playing games on the PC though, that's a selling point for them and somehow I doubt they'd overlook popularity/innovation the 3D market offers to the PC.

The more games people buy for the PC, the less games are bought for the xbox.

Microsoft has its own products to push - and its not steam.

RavenSEAL

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2010
Steam has kept PC gaming afloat for a couple of years now really. M$ hasn't done **** in about a decade besides making DRM more annoying than it already was.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Little is known about this new gaming focus in Windows 8, for all we know it could be a massive push towards copyright protection/xbox live integration and nothing more.

With all the open source OS's available these days every compatibility perk counts.

Well theres nothing wrong with windows 7 yes but its still a true point microsoft have done sod all to help PC gaming. What have we got?

- Games for windows live? Dont get me started on this steaming pile, the fact it was even made instead of them simply partering up with valve is an atrocity.

- The games folder? Its worse than a conventional folder! You cant set compatability settings from it or anything, PITA. Decent idea though.

- Halo 2 for vista only. Halo 2 sucked even on consoles but making it vista only for no good technical reason sucks.

So overall theyve really done next to nothing and what they have done has been poor at best, also shutting down ensemble and canning the flight simulator franchise as well basically says they dont care about PC gaming. I imagine windows 8's attempt to help PC gaming will involve direct X 12 or something which will offer nothing over DX 9/10/11 and perform about 50% worse on the same hardware. Awesome :thumbsdown: Either that or they will integrate facebook into the kernal or something...

tommo123

Platinum Member
Sep 25, 2005
microsoft will push pc gaming quite hard i imagine, in a few years. as the PC market for gaming shrinks, so does the need for a lot of people to run windows instead of linux. these people tend to be the tech support for their friends/families so buy based on what advice they're given.

eventually, enough users would turn away from windows to make businesses have to question running windows. what's more expensive? moving apps to another OS, or training staff in using an OS they've never used before?