Microcenter: Free DDR-5 memory with AMD 7xxx CPU

Macgyversite

Golden Member
Dec 8, 2002
Not a bad deal. Flare X is good stuff too. But the Mobos are not cheap. Looking at what $700 plus tax at least for Mobo, CPU, and Ram.

Saylick

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2012
Thank goodness I live close to a MC. Just went out and grabbed me a 7700X with the free RAM. Sure, it ain't 6000 MT/s but hard to pass up a free $189 ($159 on Newegg). Did not buy a mobo, even though I could have saved $20 if I did, but will wait for B650 to launch, which should be in a few weeks. I'll buy a mobo then.

Saylick

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2012
Sorry but that's the first thought that entered my mind.
Fair enough. The free RAM is pretty much the lowest end of their binning process (5600 MT/s 36-36-36-89) but with a lower bar, there should be less chance of the RAM being bad, or so I hope. Going to use this in a 4K gaming build anyways where I'll be GPU limited, so I don't need super optimized memory. Assuming everything matches up nicely, I pretty much treat this deal as if I got the 7700X for $300 (i.e. DDR5 premium would have been $50 more over DDR4).

BenJeremy

Oct 31, 2004
Shouldn't that make people suspicious? Why give away a $150+ RAM kit?

Because Microcenter is making some crazy margins on the CPU, RAM and motherboards, more so on Zen4 and AM5 stuff. They want you to build your system there, everything. They're hoping to also get you to buy your case, storage, GPU, and power supply as well. It's what they've always done.

I always wondered how they sold Intel processors so cheap many years ago (when I first started going there), because I couldn't buy them cheaper anywhere else... I jokingly figured they had some "bent nose" types who "found" a truckload or two. At any rate, it's what Microcenter has always done, and why they have a hugely loyal customer base.

Fry's should have had similar success, but their execs couldn't keep their hands out of the cookie jar, and embezzled the company into oblivion. What a shame, I always loved hitting their stores up when I was on the west coast.

BenJeremy

Oct 31, 2004
Fair enough. The free RAM is pretty much the lowest end of their binning process (5600 MT/s 36-36-36-89) but with a lower bar, there should be less chance of the RAM being bad, or so I hope. Going to use this in a 4K gaming build anyways where I'll be GPU limited, so I don't need super optimized memory. Assuming everything matches up nicely, I pretty much treat this deal as if I got the 7700X for $300 (i.e. DDR5 premium would have been $50 more over DDR4).

It's EXPO memory, so there should not be any compatibility issues, and DDR5-6000 is still on the bleeding edge yet. Give it 6 months, when AMD releases their 7950X3D and the motherboards and RAM prices are at a reasonable level, if you are concerned about this. Honestly, if I was building a system right now, this is an incredible deal, and would keep me on Team Red if I were inclined to give Intel a second chance (I won't.... the 9th gen VROC Scam taint won't fade for at least a few more generations)

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

13Gigatons

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
The prices are getting completely ridiculous....one day only wealthy people will build PC's

Macgyversite

Golden Member
Dec 8, 2002
The prices are getting completely ridiculous....one day only wealthy people will build PC's

How so ?

You dont need to buy current Gen. You can build a complete gaming system today cheaper than years past that will CRUSH the performance of the older system.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

Saylick

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2012
FYI - I think the deal is dead, unfortunately. Don't see it on the website anymore.

Saylick

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2012
Howz your build? Everything working as it should?
It's not complete yet... I was originally planning on picking up a B650 mobo but after seeing the launch prices I decided to buy an Open Box mobo at my Micro Center instead; they had a Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX for $231, which should have better VRMs than a similarly priced B650 mobo at MSRP.

So far, the build I am planning will be:
- 7700X w/ Noctua D15S Chromax Black
- Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX
- 2x16 GB 5600 MT/s G.Skill Flare X5 DDR5
- 1TB WD SN850 w/ HS
- Corsair RM850X
- Lian Li O11 Air Mini case (black)
- A couple of Noctua Chromax Black case fans
- Full fat RDNA 3 N31 (hopefully MSRP is not priced out the wazoo)
- Gigabyte M28U 4K 120 Hz monitor (will probably buy from Best Buy with their extended warranty... reviews say that the QA/QC on this monitor can be hit or miss, e.g. dead pixels, etc. Also Gigabyte RMA process is a pain in the arse to deal with).

Thanks for checking in, though!