microATX case with Good Airflow for cooling

elendil850

Feb 14, 2006
I'm currently using a large Chieftec case (One of the dragon series) and am thinking of switching to a smaller case, I was wondering if anyone knew of a good case to possibly switch to.

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
By "miniATX" do you mean as small as possible while still being ATX or do you mean microATX, AKA mATX?

For smaller ATX, try the Antec Super LAN Boy. Based on how many people complain around here on how cramped it is to work in... should be small enough. Alternately there's the Chenming 301 series available in aluminum or steel. The Super LAN Boy would be better for airflow, however.

Even smaller, there's some that put the PSU against the CPU HSF like the Lian Li PC3077 (I've seen others like that but can't think of any right now). I can't recommend those because I just can't see them having good airflow. There's also one that puts the PSU in the bottom front, but... can't remember which brand and how airflow was...

For mATX there's actually a number of very good choices.

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
First off, you'll have to use a mATX motherboard. I see from your sig that you do. Next, how many drives do you have? Most mATX "tower" cases can handle two hard drives and two optical drives plus use standard ATX power supplies. OF course extra HDDs may be added to FDD spots in some of them. The mATX "desktop" or "slim" cases can usually handle only one of each and don't have as good ventilation plus use mATX/SFX power supplies which may be limiting. All of the mATX case ventilation can be improved by cutting out fan grills and some can be improved by trimming the front face in certain spots. Generally speaking the included PSUs are not that great but that can be said about most cases of any form factor under $100.

Evercase seems pretty nice. Has rubber grommets for HDD mounting, but only two dedicated HDD bays.

Foxconn has 4 HDD bays, but construction may not be as good.

Athenatech has potential with a minor mod, by cutting out the rear fan grill and using a wire finger guard. This case actually has decent vent holes in the front face. Couple of drawbacks are two dedicated HDD mounts, the construction is kind of flimsy and the case is really short front-to-back so you have limited space between the optical drives and PSU. I've used quite a few of these cases and despite the drawbacks still like them.

InWin makes a bulletproof case - this one uses probably thicker steel than almost any other mATX case and you really feel it in the weight. I've build one using it and it has awesome airflow. Unfortunately it only has one dedicated HDD slot and was really cramped to work with. Still, made for a totally awesome system (I used a second HDD in the bottom FDD bay).

Apex cases are nice except only one HDD spot. They market a few different designs with the same chassis and some are also marketed under Foxconn name but with the same chassis (different than the linked Foxconn above). I've used a number of these and they have good airflow and nice, strong construction. Think of it as a notch below the InWin but still better than most. The drives are absurdly easy to install in this system. Another drawback with the one HDD spot is that it is mounted sideways, no problem for EIDE but SATA cables need to make a tight 90º bend right off the drive. I've done it, but didn't like to. You can buy 90º angle SATA cables, but that's added cost. The included fan is noisy. The very last system I built using one of these chassis had one optical drive, one floppy drive and SEVEN hard drives!!! How did I get that many in there with only one HDD spot? BWAHAHAHAHA!!! Think about it for a while... I need to see if I can dig up the pictures... After you think about it, LMK and I'll tell you how I did it (and post pics if I can find them).

Cooler Master is my current top choice for a mATX case because it looks well built and elegant - never used one but am trying to, ahem, justify buying one. :p Looks like decent ventilation but you need to use many fans. Only two HDD spots. One limitation may be that the motherboard is "upside down" to the power supply, meaning the motherboard power cables have to stretch all the way across the motherboard - if they even reach.

elendil850

Feb 14, 2006
I have acually used the Cooler Master case before, when I did a build for my girlfriend's mother.

The orientation of the motherboard is a little odd, but since she will not be doing any overclocking, we didn't install a massive number of fans, so I didn't get to examine the airflow really well.

Also, if I did get one of these w/o a power supply, or even with one, what power supply would be recomended?

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I think the matx Inwins are some of the best, particularly the v508 (beige) and the v523 (black), along with some of their new z series, particularly this one in either color-

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811108024

Stylish, with nice features, and easy enough to work within because of the conventional if smaller layout... mods entirely optional, they breathe well as is...

The psu's are also fairly quiet and of decent quality, something other matx boxes often don't have... the powerq and orion brands aren't bad, but some others are junque...

I've used this box in really budget builds, made by athenatech. It's not as good or as stout as the inwins, requiring the fan grille to be cut out and the perf plastic grille behind the front intake slots to be popped out- it's easy. The included psu works OK for onboard video, it's of fortron manufacture-

http://www.directron.com/a301bg.html

Zepper

Elite Member
May 1, 2001
Nice and very inexpensive: Ever Case. 120mm capable f/r, vibe dampers for HD bracket. Can add another HD bracket if needed (I'll have some to sell soon). Hard to beat for the money.

.b.h.

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999

The version that is at Newegg supports 120mm exhaust fan while this one is 80mm only.

elendil850, as for PSU depends on how much money you want to spend. There are some hardcore who (without spending too much) demand absolutely the best. I won't mention any names like G-Y ;) but there is a supposedly beyond excellent power supplies running about $80. Personally I take a tradeoff between quality and price - I'm willing to get 10% less quality for 50% less price - basically landing me in the intermediate zone of "decent quality" power supplies at great prices. Of course there's the crappy ones, but to save that additional 30% price results in 60% quality reduction, not worth it. Of course I'm pulling those numbers out of a dark and fragrant place, but you get my drift - basically I look for the hump on the point of diminishing returns.

With that all being said, tell us your price range and somebody (or myself) will recommend something.

elendil850

Feb 14, 2006
I've currently set a budget of 100-150 for a new case and/or power supply. So if I were to spring for a 50 dollar case, then around 50-80 dollars for a power supply.

(I'm not TOTALLY dedicated to the microATX idea at the moment, or my budget may be a bit higher.)

Feel free to recomend not just something in my price range, as long as its not much more than 75-100 bucks, I'll consider it.

(Thanks to everyone who's replied so far, you've all been a big help.)

Zepper

Elite Member
May 1, 2001
Check out the Enhance (company that makes the PSUs for Silverstone brand) PSUs at http://www.eWiz.com . Excellent quality at fire-sale prices. When gone they're gone!

.bh.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I'll stand by my recommendation of the Inwins, and also allow that the Evercase and Coolermaster are very good... even if the coolermaster is weird.

The psu issue depends on what's going inside. For anything short of a very high end vidcard, the stock inwin will work well, or any other quality brand of similar power.

this is an excellent upgrade, depending on what you want-

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817103013

You may find the identical Fortron model for a few dollars less- they're the same thing from the same factory with different labels...

or any of the seasonics if you're willing to pay more for extreme quiet and high efficiency... or some of the Enermax models.

Enthusiasts will tend to recommend more power than you really need, and the top end units often have a length of cables and number of plugs that just get in the way in a microbox...

RallyMaster

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2004
I recommend Cooler Master's Centurion 541. Friend has one and I did his cooling for him. It has a 120 mm in front, and two 80 mm in the back. PSU is on top with inverted mobo.

firewolfsm

Golden Member
Oct 16, 2005
Originally posted by: Zepper
Nice and very inexpensive: Ever Case. 120mm capable f/r, vibe dampers for HD bracket. Can add another HD bracket if needed (I'll have some to sell soon). Hard to beat for the money.

.b.h.

The second you said you were trying to sell yours you basically runined whatever chance there was of anyone listening to you

Madwand1

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2006
Since nobody's mentioned it, and because the OP doesn't strongly require mATX -- Antec SLK1650B. Single 120mm exhaust fan -- great airflow & cooling, but a bit too strong, no TriCool as in the SLK3000B. Need to add something like a Zalman Fanmate to bring it down. Takes an optional 80mm in front; no direct drive cooling. Nice & small, room for full sized MB. Includes a decent PSU. http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=91654

Newer model NSK4400 has a bit more for higher cost. Includes a TriCool.

http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=94000

Zepper

Elite Member
May 1, 2001
firewolfsm,

You haven't been around here long enough to form an opinion on the matter. IAC, I was talking about the add-on HD bracket which is a nearly universal part and can be fitted to any case with room and a place to put two screws - that's why I'm getting some. The Ever Case cases just happen to have a nice space for one. He might be able to use a great bracket for any case he gets. Nice snap out brackets with vibe dampers... How many you want? ;) Here's a pic Sharp, eh?

Besides any moron can take a look at the case I linked and tell that it's a honey for the money...

.bh.

Zepper

Elite Member
May 1, 2001
Jhhnn

I think the Silverstone TJ08 is a neat case (I wish Silverstone would quit trying to copy LL styling though - everyone is doing it and it's getting boring) but it will be a bit out of the OP's price range - newegg has them at $100.+ $16.sh.

.bh.

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: Zap
Athenatech

Check out the Enhance (company that makes the PSUs for Silverstone brand) PSUs

Originally posted by: Jhhnn
This looks like a top shelf little box, if you can figure out where to buy one-

http://www.pro-clockers.com/article.php?id=131

$99 @Newegg in black or silver

Why I quoted all the above is that Zepper mentioned Silverstone and Jhhnn mentioned the TJ08 case... guess what? It's the same chassis as the Athenatech that I linked to above. Go to the Newegg links for both cases and look at the side view pictures and compare the two.

How many you want? ;) Here's a pic

Can you supply a pic of how it mounts to the case (you said two screws)? How much will it cost shipped? If cheap and easy enough, I may just be in for one! Most of my cases have drive bays down to the bottom but having one of these spare wouldn't hurt. ;)

elendil850

Feb 14, 2006
Originally posted by: Zap

$99 @Newegg in black or silver

Why I quoted all the above is that Zepper mentioned Silverstone and Jhhnn mentioned the TJ08 case... guess what? It's the same chassis as the Athenatech that I linked to above. Go to the Newegg links for both cases and look at the side view pictures and compare the two.

Can the silverstone case support a standard-sized PSU?

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
You may be right, to a point, Zap. I certainly wouldn't want to cut out the rear grille on the athenatech to match the silverstone, however, and I suspect that the front internal case opening is much the same. Might as well start with the box I linked from Directron- It's also "the same" in many respects. All three share common parts, with variations...

And I wouldn't trust the alleged 400w power supply in the referenced athenatech at all- a real 400w psu costs $43 w/o a case...

And, yeh, the silverstone supports a standard atx size psu...

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
I haven't seen that iCute case for sale yet.

That PSU would be, ahem, disposable at that price.

It would be easier to just cut out the fan grill with a 120mm spot already there than to do an all new hole. Also, the Directron units are missing some trim, from their site "The cover for the front USB ports is not present." I know it to be true because I've bought three of them from Directron. ;)

Yes the cases (Athenatech and Silverstone) will accept standard ATX PSUs as mentioned, but just note that there is not much space between PSU and optical drives, so keep that in mind.

lordbob99

Jun 11, 2001
Originally posted by: Iron Woode
I am considering the Aspire X-qpack-NW-BK/420.

I've been considering building something from the Aspire X-QPack as well. Not sure if I'm going to take the plunge yet, but from everything I've seen it's a really sweet case.