Mickeys Malt Liquor grenades. Oddly enough its a refreshing good drink.

Hugo Drax

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2011
I am not a heavy drinker. 1 Mickeys screw-top bottle (12 ounce) is enough to give me a good buzz.

On occasion I like to drink a cold beer when doing something outdoors etc. Out of curiosity a few weeks ago I saw a pack of Mickeys "Fine Malt Liquor" at a Gas station and decided to try it out, I figured its cheap and if it tastes like shit I can chuck it out no big loss.

Surprisingly its actually quite good and very refreshing. Has a nice little bite and leaves no after taste. Now it is the go to beer(Malt Liquor) in my fridge, I no longer buy anything else.

I looked up on the internet regarding this product and they seem to call them grenades (makes sense due to the shape.) But it gets poor reviews. Not sure why I find it a good drink and low priced as well.
A 6 pack will last me a week or more. The alcohol content is low so I am not sure why I get a strong buzz on 1 12 ounce bottle.

So anyone here tried this "Fine Malt Liquor"? The last time I tried a Malt Liquor was at a party decades ago something called Zima and I spit it out immediately it was that vile tasting so I never tried a Malt Liquor since.

Forgot to add, underneath each cap is a cool puzzle to solve. Its like the Crackerjack of booze.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Malt beverage ≠ malt liquor. *Not that I'd drink either one, but there is a difference.

*Not exactly related, but I do enjoy the occasional malta. Malty and sweet, but no alcohol.

ccryder

Nov 20, 2008
Used to drink those and Haffenreffer in college. Loved the rebus puzzles. Mickey's still have a wide mouth?

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
Is malt liquor supposed to have a malty flavor? I'm sure I've tried it at some point and I would remember if it did. The only beer I've ever had that had that flavor was the Chinese Tsing Tao. I always thought that was great stuff. I don't know why so many craft beers drown the flavor with hops. Do people really like that taste or is it a prestige thing?

Carson Dyle

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2012
I prefer Colt 45 as a more refreshing drink. I can easily down three or four 40s during a basketball game on a hot summer day. Keeps me hydrated, keeps me sharp. The low alcohol content is a plus.