Michigan LOSES to Appalachian state 34-32

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Alkaline5

Jun 21, 2001
Originally posted by: ropeadope
Originally posted by: fisher
Originally posted by: TuxDave
Originally posted by: her209
I'm guessing you didn't attend ;)
:confused:

Because you spelled Stanford as "Stanfurd".

Apparantly you're not familiar with how things roll because 'Stanfurd' is spelled that way on purpose when referring to Stanford in a degrading tone. UC Berkeley (my school) students pick on Stanford too and we do the same.

why are you even in this thread?

Who are you talking to?

How is "Stanfurd" degrading? Why not Stanturd? Doesn't sound great but makes more sense ;)

People are saying this Michigan game was the biggest upset in NCAA football history...true or no? I wonder. I think not, as huge of an upset as it was.

"Biggest" upset is debatable (App. St. is obviously no slouch) but IMO there's no question that it will be remembered as probably the most meaningful upset in history.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: HopJokey
Originally posted by: chuckywang
Originally posted by: kranky
I know those matchups don't come up that often, but I wonder if any top-ten ranked team has ever before lost to a Division I-AA team.

No ranked team has ever lost to a Division I-AA team.

Was Nebraska ranked that one year they lost to Troy (which was I-AA at the time)?

Troy was Division I-A.

txrandom

Diamond Member
Aug 15, 2004
Originally posted by: fisher
Originally posted by: TuxDave
Originally posted by: her209
I'm guessing you didn't attend ;)
:confused:

Because you spelled Stanford as "Stanfurd".

Apparantly you're not familiar with how things roll because 'Stanfurd' is spelled that way on purpose when referring to Stanford in a degrading tone. UC Berkeley (my school) students pick on Stanford too and we do the same.

why are you even in this thread?

Last time I checked, Cal going to be pretty good this year.

Syringer

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
What's really funny is that were wasn't even a betting line for this game. Even the USC game had a line, of -45! Can you imagine what the moneyline for this game would've been?

miketheidiot

Lifer
Sep 3, 2004
Originally posted by: kranky
I know those matchups don't come up that often, but I wonder if any top-ten ranked team has ever before lost to a Division I-AA team.

stanford was ranked a few years ago and lost to either cal-poly or uc davis. Huge upset at the time. Also i think colorado was ranked at one point last year or the year before and got beat by a big-sky team.

EDIT: correction not ranked but they did play about thier best season in years.

miketheidiot

Lifer
Sep 3, 2004
Originally posted by: Wreckem
Originally posted by: glenn beck
the only positive for Michigan is that it happened the beginning of the year

Their season in terms of BCS games is over, unless they can run the table in conference play which isn't likely given todays game. They will drop out of the top 25, probably to 30ish.

they'll fall to about 12 or so. No further.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Originally posted by: ElFenix

Originally posted by: Tangerines
I've been a lifelong Michigan fan, and while this was bad, it could be a lot worse. At least this didn't happen in a championship game like with OSU. Oh well, they'll still make a bowl game, if not the championship.
i would rather get punked in the bcs title game than at home to a 1AA team. no one remembers who lost in the title game after a couple years, but this one will live forever.

QFT
at least a loss in the title game means the team got to the title game, which means you deserved to be there. No arguing over who deserved to be at the game, however. Merely pointing to the fact that it wasn't a loss to a team that isn't even ranked, all the while playing on your home turf. ;)

this might prove UM didn't belong in the Top 10.
Oh well, I guess it sort of bums me that UM didn't win, because now there is no chance of them having a perfect season for OSU to ruin ;)

GoingUp

Lifer
Jul 31, 2002
Originally posted by: destrekor
Originally posted by: ElFenix

Originally posted by: Tangerines
I've been a lifelong Michigan fan, and while this was bad, it could be a lot worse. At least this didn't happen in a championship game like with OSU. Oh well, they'll still make a bowl game, if not the championship.
i would rather get punked in the bcs title game than at home to a 1AA team. no one remembers who lost in the title game after a couple years, but this one will live forever.

QFT
at least a loss in the title game means the team got to the title game, which means you deserved to be there. No arguing over who deserved to be at the game, however. Merely pointing to the fact that it wasn't a loss to a team that isn't even ranked, all the while playing on your home turf. ;)

this might prove UM didn't belong in the Top 10.
Oh well, I guess it sort of bums me that UM didn't win, because now there is no chance of them having a perfect season for OSU to ruin ;)

Yea, but its also sweet to know the season is already ruined :) PSU is going to be a hell of a team this year in the big ten too!

Spineshank

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2001
Pre season rankings for the most part are a joke. I think theyll drop to the 20's but not out.

TuxDave

Lifer
Oct 8, 2002

How is "Stanfurd" degrading? Why not Stanturd? Doesn't sound great but makes more sense ;)

Well if you think about it, a word itself does not need to be degrading to be used in a degrading fashion. Look at the word 'beloved patriot'. "beloved patriot" by itself doesn't really mean much but it is used when referring to Chinese in a degrading way. Same goes with "Stanfurd". I have no idea how that whole thing started but it's just the way the culture goes.