Michigan Democrats close to June 3 Primary agreement.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/200...el_pr/primary_scramble

A Michigan congresswoman said Friday that the state's Democrats are working on plans for a June 3 primary that would give them a say in the tight presidential nomination race between Hillary Rodham Clinton and Barack Obama.

Rep. Carolyn Cheeks Kilpatrick said the primary would be statewide and would be funded through party money. She is one of four Democrats who are not endorsing either candidate who are working together on a plan for a repeat primary.

Clinton won a primary the state held in January, but Obama's name wasn't on the ballot. He had it removed because the primary was held too early to comply with national party rules, meaning no delegates were at stake.

Florida also had its delegates stripped for holding a primary in January. The Florida Democratic Party offered a plan for a mail-in primary Thursday, but admitted it didn't have a good chance of being approved. Kilpatrick said the mail-in approach wouldn't work in Michigan.

Kilpatrick said discussions on the plan would continue Friday. "We're hopeful. We're close," she told reporters after appearing at a Judiciary Committee hearing on Capitol Hill.

Michigan is the 8th largest state. For the Democrats it may be even larger since Michigan is a largely Democratic state.
Now if only Florida gets their act together we can fix this mess and move on.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Heh typical democrat stuff right there. Break the rules and get a second chance. It really is a shining example of the mentality in that party.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Genx87
Heh typical democrat stuff right there. Break the rules and get a second chance. It really is a shining example of the mentality in that party.

Is English your native language? Clearly you can't understand what happened.
Michigan violated the parties rules. So their delegates didn't count. Now Michigan has agreed to abide by their rules, so their delegates will count.
Clearly you got it 100 percent wrong.

Fail.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002

I'm sure Republicans would be doing the same thing if they were in this position. With that said, the Republican way of punishment was better...just decrease the amount of delegates the violator can represent.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: techs

Michigan violated the parties rules. So their delegates didn't count. Now Michigan has agreed to abide by their rules, so their delegates will count.

Fail.

Michigan didn't violate party rules by moving their primary date?

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002

Fail.

Huh? Let me get this straight. I fail english and then you go on the restate exactly what I said?

Michigan broke the rules and didnt have their delegates count.
Michigan may now get a second chance on June 3rd.

Like I said, the party of second chances is displaying it for all to see. I await the 2012 elections when more states break the rules, cry, and get a second chance. It hits nearly all the branches on the ideology tree.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Originally posted by: Moonbeam

Fail.

Michigan is governed by Michigan and US laws, not Democratic party rules. You also Fail.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: senseamp
Originally posted by: Moonbeam

Fail.

Michigan is governed by Michigan and US laws, not Democratic party rules. You also Fail.

When it comes to holding their primary for the democratic party, they are held to that parties rules. Rules they clearly broke.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006

Fail.

Huh? Let me get this straight. I fail english and then you go on the restate exactly what I said?

Like I said, the party of second chances is displaying it for all to see. I await the 2012 elections when more states break the rules, cry, and get a second chance. It hits nearly all the branches on the ideology tree.

I sure hope they do. There is no reason why Iowa should be first, and they get to benefit from it via all the ethanol subsidies from pondering politicians out of my pocketbook.

GDaddy

Mar 30, 2006
I find it odd that really only hillary supporters are for this. Everyone else more or less wants to follow the rules. With her campain going down, hill and her supporters will try anything to turn it around. Too many have lost the sense of Honor and Responsibility.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000

Fail.

Ok. I will explain it like I would to a non English speaker.
Democratic party rules forbid a state from having a primary before a certain date. Since Michigan held their primary before that date it didn't count under Democratic party rules.
Now Michigan has agreed to abide by the rules and hold a primary after the date the party set as the earliest date. So now they will be in compliance.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Originally posted by: GDaddy
I find it odd that really only hillary supporters are for this. Everyone else more or less wants to follow the rules. With her campain going down, hill and her supporters will try anything to turn it around. Too many have lost the sense of Honor and Responsibility.

Responsibility to who? State officials have responsibility to their constituents, not the Democratic party. Democratic party got caught with its pants down. Did it really think it could get away with not counting Florida's delegates with it being the key battleground state in the election? I think Florida should insist that original vote be counted. There should be no second chances for those who decided not to campaign or be on ballots because the Democratic party told them to.

RightIsWrong

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2005
Be careful of what you wish for.....you just might get it!!!

Hillary is a fool for pushing this envelope as much as she has. She has lost all momentum that she had and is going all in with two pair.

http://www.rasmussenreports.co...c_presidential_primary

If Democrats hold a second Presidential Primary in Michigan, the race could be one of the most competitive all year. The latest Rasmussen Reports telephone survey finds that Hillary Clinton would attract 41% of the Primary Vote while Barack Obama would earn an identical 41%.

Clinton leads by seven among women and trails by eight among men. Clinton does better with low-income voters and Obama does better among upper-income voters. Obama leads among voters under 50 while Clinton leads among older voters.

In Florida, she has a somewhat comfortable lead.....about the same size lead that she had in TX before Obama actually started stumping there

http://www.rasmussenreports.co...ida_democratic_primary

If Florida decides to have a second Presidential Primary this year, Hillary Clinton will begin the race with a sixteen-percentage point lead over Barack Obama. The latest Rasmussen Reports telephone survey shows that Clinton attracts 55% of the Sunshine State Primary Vote while Obama earns 39%.

GDaddy

Mar 30, 2006
Little Kid: Mommy can go to the park?
Mommy: No, you cant. You can go later, but if you go now, no ice cream
Little Kid: well i am going to go anyways
Mommy: No Ice cream
Little Kid: Please can i have my ice cream, i will go to the park when you want
Mommy: But you already went to the park, so no ice cream
Little Kid: (typical actions) excuses, begs, whines, throws a tantrum, i need my ice cream

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
I find it odd that really only hillary supporters are for this

please. people are opportunists... if the demographics in MI and FL favored Obama more and he was behind in the delegate count, they'd be falling all over themselves about voter suppression and claiming MI/FL are run by racist demagogues. Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackton, and the naacp would be burning effigies of Governor Crist.

personally, I'm in favor of the half-vote. I think it's important that the voices in FL/MI are heard and represented, especially if the democrats why and try to be competitive in FL against McCain, but the half voting wouldn't change the game in any major way.

GDaddy

Mar 30, 2006

Responsibility to who? State officials have responsibility to their constituents, not the Democratic party. Democratic party got caught with its pants down. Did it really think it could get away with not counting Florida's delegates with it being the key battleground state in the election? I think Florida should insist that original vote be counted. There should be no second chances for those who decided not to campaign or be on ballots because the Democratic party told them to.

Responiblilty to yourself and your actions. It is a part of a personal code of ethics. When you cant take responsibilty for your actions and just give excuses and want a do over, i think you lose personal Honor.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004

Responiblilty to yourself and your actions. It is a part of a personal code of ethics. When you cant take responsibilty for your actions and just give excuses and want a do over, i think you lose personal Honor.

personal responsibility to who? should the voters really have to suffer because of the actions of a few party members?

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006

The what now? Florida officials are doing what they feel is best for their citizens, which is not to have them play second fiddle to Iowa. They have no responsibility to the Democrat party, only to their voters. Democrat party is not a government entity.
Democrats don't have to count Florida's delegates, that's their decision. But it would be political suicide for them not to do so. Florida would be doing them a favor by having a second vote and giving Howard Dean a way out of this mess.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002

Fail.

Not unlike our Republican breathern who did all sorts of nasty things with other people's money and the Feds is coming to bail them out? Face it, the bigger you are, the more you become an exception to the rule.

GDaddy

Mar 30, 2006
Originally posted by: loki8481

personal responsibility to who? should the voters really have to suffer because of the actions of a few party members?

Yep, because they put those leaders in power. They knew the rules, said they were going to do it anyways, were told what would happen if they did, and still did it, all for the glory of being "first".

Now they should suck it up and live with there choices.

And why is this such a hot issue, the only ones you hear spouting "redo" are clinton supporters?

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Don't forget the never ending second chances Bush is getting on Iraq.

I agree with that. Fairness is not the hallmark of any particular group so there's no need for Republicans to throw grenades into an intercenine conflict between Democrats.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Now is a good time to have this conflict, because the worst we'll get from the other side is John McCain, which to me is better than Obama.
I wouldn't buy a used car from that guy.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
-snip-
Florida also had its delegates stripped for holding a primary in January. The Florida Democratic Party offered a plan for a mail-in primary Thursday, but admitted it didn't have a good chance of being approved. Kilpatrick said the mail-in approach wouldn't work in Michigan.

Mail in ballots are expressly forbid under FL law. I.e., they just recently realized that it was illegal.

Fern

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Desperation is always so ugly. There is no mess but what Hillary and her shock troops have created, though like other messes in the future when he's president, Obama will clean this one up, too.

This is all a big piss on a bonfire anyway. It's not within the realm of realism that these will swing enough pledged to hillary. The longer you myrmidons continue to support her campaign, the more crushing the defeat will be when it finally breaths its last breath. It's been on a ventilator since early February. It's time to pull the plug, folks, this one ain't coming out of a coma.
I wouldn't buy a used car from that guy.
Sour grapes ftw. Your hardcore lib candidate loses (which she will) and so instead of voting for the more pragmatic person you swing all the way to the right like a kid who got a playstation 2 at Christmas instead of a PS3 and breaks it out of frustration.