Michelle Obama comments on how Trump's birtherism put her family in danger

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
From Michelle Obama's upcoming book to be released this Tuesday
“The whole [birther] thing was crazy and mean-spirited, of course, its underlying bigotry and xenophobia hardly concealed. But it was also dangerous, deliberately meant to stir up the wingnuts and kooks,” she wrote in the book.

“What if someone with an unstable mind loaded a gun and drove to Washington?” she wondered. “What if that person went looking for our girls?”

“Donald Trump, with his loud and reckless innuendos, was putting my family’s safety at risk,” she added. “And for this I’d never forgive him.”

I think Michelle's biggest problem she overestimated the decency of a large portion of the populous of this country.

Reactions: SteveGrabowski

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
It's just so unfair that the black woman is disparaging nice people by calling them "kooks."

racist!

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Being the President made them a target. Making history, even more. Touching healthcare was extremely vitriol, if anyone cares to remember our fight over Obamacare. Trump started his BS fiesta in 2011, and within a couple weeks Fox News had this to say on the matter. April 7, 2011: 24 Percent Believe Obama Not Born in U.S.

Trump contributed, but he wasn't the source of their secret service detail.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Trump doesn't give a damn about how his words and deeds have hurt others because he's too busy protecting his own tender as tinder feelings, wants and needs.

This gives him the ability to hurt others at will and not give a shit about it.........until the tables are turned and that's when the real Trump shows up getting all upset, haughty and insulted and then "payback" consumes his every waking moment because nobody but NOBODY does to him what he habitually does to others.

How anyone can idolize this broken beyond repair human being is wayyyyyy beyond me. I guess I'm too narrow minded?

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Being the President made them a target. Making history, even more. Touching healthcare was extremely vitriol, if anyone cares to remember our fight over Obamacare. Trump started his BS fiesta in 2011, and within a couple weeks Fox News had this to say on the matter. April 7, 2011: 24 Percent Believe Obama Not Born in U.S.

Trump contributed, but he wasn't the source of their secret service detail.

Who claimed he was the source? No one has but it can't be argued that he didn't run with it.

What exactly was the purpose of your post?

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Trump doesn't give a damn about how his words and deeds have hurt others because he's too busy protecting his own tender as tinder feelings, wants and needs.

This gives him the ability to hurt others at will and not give a shit about it.........until the tables are turned and that's when the real Trump shows up getting all upset, haughty and insulted and then "payback" consumes his every waking moment because nobody but NOBODY does to him what he habitually does to others.

How anyone can idolize this broken beyond repair human being is wayyyyyy beyond me. I guess I'm too narrow minded?

He's created a cult, that's how. He didn't do it alone of course but he was the figurehead the movement needed to solidify itself.

The only way to fix it is through deprogramming, good luck with that.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008

I think Michelle's biggest problem she overestimated the decency of a large portion of the populous of this country.
Thats so insensitive of you, we are talking about how poor Tucker was violated by peaceful protests outside his house yesterday.. Typical for a leftie to bring something like this up.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008

Psycopaths have families and "friends" too.. sad miserable family and friends. They round them up in games of conflict and power that ultimatly creates a reality where the psychopath is dear leader and the inconsequentials fight for his/her attention.. its Psychopath 101 handbook. Have we seen this pattern? Trumpists is living a collosal collective stockholm syndrome, morning brainwashing by fox, daily beatings by trump and fox brainwashing in evening again. Repeat.

Reactions: tweaker2

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
What exactly was the purpose of your post?

Michelle places some importance on Trump. Of course now that he is President that seems relevant. Yet, before Trump ever opened his mouth in 2011, the Obama's faced this:
2009: Barack Obama faces 30 death threats a day, stretching US Secret Service

And let's not pretend that threat was anything new or unusual.
2017: Secret Service: Trump faces same number of threats as Obama

My point? Exactly as I said it. Trump contributed, but he wasn't the source of their secret service detail.

Thats so insensitive of you, we are talking about how poor Tucker was violated by peaceful protests outside his house yesterday.. Typical for a leftie to bring something like this up.

Peaceful? I've heard of a pipe bomb present and a damaged door.
And this is a continued escalation of targeting Republicans across the nation, as incited by Maxine Waters.

Unlike Michelle, these folks don't have secret service. They get to fend for themselves in an increasingly hostile nation. So maybe we Americans do need to be afraid. I personally know some Democrats literally cheering on a french revolution for us, right here, right now. I also know some Republicans who would have wanted to shoot such a crowd threatening them at their door.

The real danger is our national discourse, or lack thereof. That'd have any sane American wondering which other nation to hide in. Or if Alaska is far away enough from our madness. That's not Trump, that's on us - the American people. Does that move the goalpost from the OP? Probably does. But we have bigger fish to fry with regards to being an entire nation of uncivil nitwits poised to start something very stupid, and much worse than Trump.

I'll end with this: Obama Death Threats

But Sullivan said the level of Obama death threats stabilized after Obama’s first year in office and that Obama was not disproportionately threatened compared to previous presidents.

Reactions: cytg111

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

Well, I have mentioned here for 20 years that we are monsters because we hate ourselves, don't know it, don't want to know it, and don't want to know we don't want to know. Surprise, then, is just the intrusion of data denied to conscious awareness.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
My point? Exactly as I said it. Trump contributed, but he wasn't the source of their secret service detail.

The source of their secret service detail is that Obama was President, which confers upon them SS protection for the rest of their lives. That's the source.....but the actual source is a written directive somewhere that I don't feel like tracking down that assigns SS details to every past living President.

Otherwise, what does your sentence mean other than you had no point in the first place?

Reactions: ivwshane

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I'm really glad she said outright that she'll never forgive Trump for doing that. After he loses in 2020 (or God forbid, gets termed out in 2024) there will be a lot of events where the Obamas and Trumps would be expected to mingle and socialize. I hope that's impossible and never happens.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Michelle places some importance on Trump. Of course now that he is President that seems relevant. Yet, before Trump ever opened his mouth in 2011, the Obama's faced this:
2009: Barack Obama faces 30 death threats a day, stretching US Secret Service

And let's not pretend that threat was anything new or unusual.
2017: Secret Service: Trump faces same number of threats as Obama

Peaceful? I've heard of a pipe bomb present and a damaged door.
And this is a continued escalation of targeting Republicans across the nation, as incited by Maxine Waters.

Unlike Michelle, these folks don't have secret service. They get to fend for themselves in an increasingly hostile nation. So maybe we Americans do need to be afraid. I personally know some Democrats literally cheering on a french revolution for us, right here, right now. I also know some Republicans who would have wanted to shoot such a crowd threatening them at their door.

The real danger is our national discourse, or lack thereof. That'd have any sane American wondering which other nation to hide in. Or if Alaska is far away enough from our madness. That's not Trump, that's on us - the American people. Does that move the goalpost from the OP? Probably does. But we have bigger fish to fry with regards to being an entire nation of uncivil nitwits poised to start something very stupid, and much worse than Trump.

I'll end with this: Obama Death Threats

But Sullivan said the level of Obama death threats stabilized after Obama’s first year in office and that Obama was not disproportionately threatened compared to previous presidents.

Die hard conservatives will be in any minute so both sides this, they just have to finish sending their death threats.

Feb 16, 2005
You liberal snowflakes will not understand that one is an act of patriotism (birtherism) and another is an attack on patriotism (Tucker). You would get it if you didnt hate America so much to put a Kenyan Muslim in the office.
I like the cut of your jib.

Gryz

Golden Member
Aug 28, 2010
the last 2 years have been very eye opening
I think overall, the world's opinion on the USA and on Americans was neutral to slightly negative.
But don't worry.
During the last 2 years, that has largely changed.
We have a very clear opinion on the USA and Americans now.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Psycopaths have families and "friends" too.. sad miserable family and friends. They round them up in games of conflict and power that ultimatly creates a reality where the psychopath is dear leader and the inconsequentials fight for his/her attention.. its Psychopath 101 handbook. Have we seen this pattern? Trumpists is living a collosal collective stockholm syndrome, morning brainwashing by fox, daily beatings by trump and fox brainwashing in evening again. Repeat.

Agreed. A whole lot of Trump's supporters have been convinced by the GOP spin-meisters that the world outside the bubble they live in "is out to get them", so they've had to insulate and isolate themselves from the world in order to feel safe and feel good and feel right about themselves. Of course, this plays right into the hands of the GOP leadership where they have complete control over their followers by launching edicts, catchisms and mantras for the day like "America first!!", "NATO and the United Nations plays us for suckers", "Muslim terrorists everywhere", "illegal immigrants are rapists and murderers!!!" and that old favorite of theirs "MAGA!!!". Yet somehow Putin, of all people, is someone we can work with.

When a leader of our nation can convince millions of folks that it's better to trust KGB master spy Putin than our own close allies and we should punish our allies with tariff wars and it's perfectly fine to hold one or possibly more ultra-secret one-on-one meetings with Putin where even our own security services are shut out, well something has to be really really wrong with the whole system of who we think our leaders should be and how they get to be the most powerful person in the world. .

Reactions: Muse

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I think overall, the world's opinion on the USA and on Americans was neutral to slightly negative.
But don't worry.
During the last 2 years, that has largely changed.
We have a very clear opinion on the USA and Americans now.
*Drum-roll*

And that is???

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
"We don't have a Fuherer that is ready to show how "flexible" he is to other world leaders."

Hermann Göring, 1938

Reactions: nickqt