Michele Bachmann will not run for re-election

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.co...itless-future-but-not-in-the-house/?hpt=hp_t2

Michele Bachmann will not seek reelection next year. But, said the former presidential candidate, she has no plans to fade from public view.

121023040112-bachmann-campaign-story-story-top.jpg

will Bachmann have a more successful private life than Palin?
(Palin quit as alaska governor and lasted 2yrs at Fox b4 she got canned.)

Jan 25, 2011
Bachmann embodies everything that is wrong with the US political system. I truly hope no one gives her a voice going forward.

Feb 10, 2000
Speaking as a Minnesotan this is very welcome news. I've always found her something of an embarrassment.

I can only assume she has some particular offer for her post-Congress career that is motivating this, as frankly I think she would likely have won again over Jim Graves, who she narrowly beat last time, had she run for re-election. I am aware of the FEC and ethics issues floating around her, but based on the facts as I understand them, they would not have prevented her from being re-elected.

It's possible she plans to run against Al Franken, who is up for re-election in 2014, but he would almost certainly trounce her in a statewide election. Actually I would love to see that happen - I would expect she would never come within, say, 8 points of him in the polls and he would soundly beat her. Same with Governor Dayton, who is also up for re-election next year.

Last edited:

khon

Golden Member
Jun 8, 2010
Excellent news for the country.

Now the question is whether she's leaving to join Foxnews, or if she's leaving to become a lobbyist. Personally I'm hoping she goes with the Foxnews option, because she's damn entertaining to watch.

Last edited:

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
How she got away with all her antics these many years is astonishing. Must be some bat-shit crazy people in that district too.

child of wonder

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2006
She can't run for re-election anyway. She believes god is going to punish Minnesota like Sodom and Gomorrah for letting gays marry.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Speaking as a Minnesotan this is very welcome news. I've always found her something of an embarrassment.

I can only assume she has some particular offer for her post-Congress career that is motivating this, as frankly I think she would likely have won again over Jim Graves, who she narrowly beat last time, had she run for re-election. I am aware of the FEC and ethics issues floating around her, but based on the facts as I understand them, they would not have prevented her from being re-elected.

It's possible she plans to run against Al Franken, who is up for re-election in 2014, but he would almost certainly trounce her in a statewide election. Actually I would love to see that happen - I would expect she would never come within, say, 8 points of him in the polls and he would soundly beat her. Same with Governor Dayton, who is also up for re-election next year.

This is MN, where we revel in electing these nutballs.

Jesse Ventura
Paul Wellstone
Michelle Bachmann
Al Franken
Mark "crazy eyes" Dayton

I suspect she will either become a lobbiest or run for the jobs you mentioned. I dont expect her to win either of those jobs. Too much of a bomb thrower with foot in mouth syndrome.

Speaking of political tomfoolery. What is your take on how many tries it will take for the idiots in state govt to get the funding right for Zigis playground? I about pissed myself in laughter when their plan didnt even make 5% of projected revenue. Personally I expect this cigarette tax to fail as well and they give up and steal from the middle class to give a billionaire a stadium.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002

Jesse Ventura
Paul Wellstone
Michelle Bachmann
Al Franken
Mark "crazy eyes" Dayton

I suspect she will either become a lobbiest or run for the jobs you mentioned. I dont expect her to win either of those jobs. Too much of a bomb thrower with foot in mouth syndrome.

Speaking of political tomfoolery. What is your take on how many tries it will take for the idiots in state govt to get the funding right for Zigis playground? I about pissed myself in laughter when their plan didnt even make 5% of projected revenue. Personally I expect this cigarette tax to fail as well and they give up and steal from the middle class to give a billionaire a stadium.

Stop it with the false equivilence...

Al Frankin hasn't said anything remotely crazy while in office. Huge difference between disagreeing on issue and "founding fathers ended slavery"

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002

Al Frankin hasn't said anything remotely crazy while in office. Huge difference between disagreeing on issue and "founding fathers ended slavery"

Oh jesus really? Who said anything about equivalence? That list is just a recent example of the type of people we elect as a state to represent us. It is a sad display of our lack of selection.

Jimzz

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2012

Seems he is just a hack that thinks they are not a line step republican so they are nuts.

I thought Franken was a little off when I first heard he was running but his actions speak very well IMO.

Oh jesus really? Who said anything about equivalence? That list is just a recent example of the type of people we elect as a state to represent us. It is a sad display of our lack of selection.

Then how is he or the others in your list a "nutball"?

Feb 10, 2000

Jesse Ventura
Paul Wellstone
Michelle Bachmann
Al Franken
Mark "crazy eyes" Dayton

I don't really think the people you've listed are apples-to-apples in terms of nuttiness, but in any case I am glad to see Michele on the way out.

I happen to know some people in the e-pull tabs business, and thus far we have only seen the tip of that iceberg. There have been big delays in getting the quality vendors vetted by the Gambling Control Board, and at this point the entire industry is operating at a small percentage of its capacity. Ultimately I anticipate that business will produce revenues much closer to the projections. Still not thrilled to see public funds going to pay for the stadium but I expect that the numbers won't look THAT bad in the final analysis.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003

She has the best political platform she ever will have so I suspect she is done from elected office. Probably just pulling a Palin and going to profit from the rightwing media machine. IIRC she and her husband are small businesspeople so its probably just a dollars and cents calculation.

Likely the same reason she ran for President. Being able to pull at least 5% in a primary is worth a lot of money for anyone.

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
Good. Putting aside her politics, she's a total nut job. Having wackos in congress is not a good thing...

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012

But Mark Dayton called himself a terrible Senator...

Its really an object lesson in why you shouldn't pick a candidate that looks like a buffoon, and when he opens his mouth does nothing to dispel the notion (in reference to the Republican who lost to him for governor).

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Problem is the GOP as a party has become more like Michele Bachman. Anybody remember the Republican Presidential debates??

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Good. Putting aside her politics, she's a total nut job. Having wackos in congress is not a good thing...

Pretty much sums it up for me.

Nut jobs quitting DC is a good thing, for everyone.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Problem is the GOP as a party has become more like Michele Bachman. Anybody remember the Republican Presidential debates??

The one where Bachmann didnt stand a chance and spit out a near clone of Obama? Yeah I remember those debates. It was a sad display of what the republican party has become and where it needs to go in order to be credible again.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
good riddance.

ironically, though, this may be bad news for Democrats as it could make it harder to win that House seat from a more sane candidate.

brandonb

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2006
I voted for Bachmann x 2...

Do I like her? Nope. Do I think she is a nutjob? Yes.

Why did I vote for her? Mockery of the system. Do I actually have hope any elected politician is looking out for the common man or woman? Nope. So in the end, it doesn't matter who is in office. I'm screwed no matter what.