Michael Moore and Sanjay Gupta duke it out on CNN tonight (at 9 o'clock).

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I guess that I've been lucky. My health care is "free" from my employer, and my co-pay is only 15% for most doctor and dentist visits.

Toonces

Golden Member
Feb 5, 2000
Originally posted by: ultimatebob
I guess that I've been lucky. My health care is "free" from my employer, and my co-pay is only 15% for most doctor and dentist visits.

Yes you are.
The US system is incredible for some people, and abhorrent for others. Congrats on being among the lucky ones.

RollWave

Diamond Member
May 20, 2003
Originally posted by: toonces
Originally posted by: ultimatebob

Yes you are.
The US system is incredible for some people, and abhorrent for others. Congrats on being among the lucky ones.

oh man, I remember when SNL was good.

RollWave

Diamond Member
May 20, 2003
Originally posted by: ScottFern
Yes yes I know welcome to the Me first gimme gimme gimme welfare state. Maybe I am just an eternal optimist! :p

You are. :D I wish it werent true but I've seen so much BS in the health care industry that I'm a cynic. I doubt that ANYTHING could work.

ScottFern

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
One of the most powerful scenes in SiCKO is when the that corporate woman admitted denying a claim that killed a patient because it saved the HMO money. I strongly believe profits don't belong in the same sentence as health care.

dennilfloss

Past Lifer 1957-2014 In Memoriam
Oct 21, 1999
dennilfloss.blogspot.com
Major disappointment. It was so short. Remove the commercials and they talked for about 20 minutes and little of real substance was said. Then Larry King switched to some personal tabloid story. Typical US TV fluff piece. I should have known better.

msparish

Aug 27, 2003
One of the most powerful scenes in SiCKO is when the that corporate woman admitted denying a claim that killed a patient because it saved the HMO money. I strongly believe profits don't belong in the same sentence as health care.

The problem is, any system is going to have that to some degree. In a universal system, care must be rationed to prevent costs from exploding. Sure, rationing care may not sound as cold as "we denied it for profit," but in essence it is the exact same thing.

Edit: Not that I'm defending the insurance company. I haven't seen the movie, but assuming the patient had continued to pay their premiums and the treatment was not excluded under the policy, that is terrible.

WingZero94

Golden Member
Mar 20, 2002
Breaking news! Michael Moore Exploded in rage after leaving the studio on his flatbed limo.... Perhaps if he had healthcare that would have paid for gastric bypass, he'd be ok. The irony of it all....

RollWave

Diamond Member
May 20, 2003
Originally posted by: msparish

The problem is, any system is going to have that to some degree. In a universal system, care must be rationed to prevent costs from exploding. Sure, rationing care may not sound as cold as "we denied it for profit," but in essence it is the exact same thing.

Exactly. Not everything can be covered...

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: dennilfloss
Major disappointment. It was so short. Remove the commercials and they talked for about 20 minutes and little of real substance was said. Then Larry King switched to some personal tabloid story. Typical US TV fluff piece. I should have known better.

I wouldn't say disappointment. I'd call it pure ownage. Moore couldn't stay on point to save his life. He came across like a 12 year old ADD kid.

*waves arm and flaps chins*
Go to my website and you will see! I just posted it!
*waves arms and flaps chins*

Moore brought nothing to the table and was owned big time. My favorite...."But's it's FREE!"

Although I do agree that switching to a tabloid story left me with a "this is not news" taste in my mouth about the whole thing. Credibility--

RollWave

Diamond Member
May 20, 2003
Originally posted by: spidey07

I wouldn't say disappointment. I'd call it pure ownage. Moore couldn't stay on point to save his life. He came across like a 12 year old ADD kid.

*waves arm and flaps chins*
Go to my website and you will see! I just posted it!
*waves arms and flaps chins*

Moore brought nothing to the table and was owned big time. My favorite...."But's it's FREE!"

Although I do agree that switching to a tabloid story left me with a "this is not news" taste in my mouth about the whole thing. Credibility--

Yeah he got rocked by this point. He should've conceded. Its not free if its added expense when you're looking at your tax forms. Americans will NOT stand for a huge tax increase....no matter WHAT they're getting. War or no war, taxes would rise to high high levels and people are going to fight it.

dennilfloss

Past Lifer 1957-2014 In Memoriam
Oct 21, 1999
dennilfloss.blogspot.com
Originally posted by: RollWave
Its not free if its added expense when you're looking at your tax forms. Americans will NOT stand for a huge tax increase....no matter WHAT they're getting. War or no war, taxes would rise to high high levels and people are going to fight it.

That's because you guys are a 'me' society, not a 'we' society (but discussing that would mean disgressing into P&N territory).

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
That's because you guys are a 'me' society, not a 'we' society (but discussing that would mean disgressing into P&N territory).

Agreed. And that's why I'm trying to stay on topic. Me society allows the cream to rise.

RollWave

Diamond Member
May 20, 2003
Originally posted by: RollWave
Its not free if its added expense when you're looking at your tax forms. Americans will NOT stand for a huge tax increase....no matter WHAT they're getting. War or no war, taxes would rise to high high levels and people are going to fight it.

Yeah. The only thing that matters is Me because WE dont help each other out :)

The bottomline IMHO is that if we stopped giving so much unnecessary health care to the extreme elderly that $7500 figure would be cut in half. I've seen millions of dollars spent on keeping patients in their 80s alive for absolutely no reason...I mean PER person...multiple cases in which the patient racked up OVER 1 mill in bills for minimal if any gain. That money was spent to make that person subsist. Can you believe that? That money couldve treated so many others and actually made a difference in their quality of life.

Dean

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
Socialized Medicine is not as bad as Americans think.

My father is now 82 years old. Four years ago had had an aneurysm of his Aorta Artery. Survival rate for it is very low, but they went right to it and fixed him up. Two years ago he had a quadruple bypass and last year he had a node of a lung removed due to a growth.

Right now he is still enjoying a happy active life, due to the fact that they never once considered that the costs overshadowed his "worth" due to his age.

Myself, well I have had 14 surgeries since my 45 foot fall 13 years ago. I can walk basically pain free most of the time except for arthritis flareups in my right knee and hip.

Is our method perfect here in Canada? Far from it, but I would not change it for anything.

RollWave

Diamond Member
May 20, 2003
It will never work in the USA. We have too many people, and overprescribe too many drugs and treatments for all hypochondriacs brainwashed by pharma commercials that tell them they need something...its these fools that go to a doctor then demand to be prescribed a drug...

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: Dean

My father is now 82 years old. Four years ago had had an aneurysm of his Aorta Artery. Survival rate for it is very low, but they went right to it and fixed him up. Two years ago he had a quadruple bypass and last year he had a node of a lung removed due to a growth.

Right now he is still enjoying a happy active life, due to the fact that they never once considered that the costs overshadowed his "worth" due to his age.

Myself, well I have had 14 surgeries since my 45 foot fall 13 years ago. I can walk basically pain free most of the time except for arthritis flareups in my right knee and hip.

Is our method perfect here in Canada? Far from it, but I would not change it for anything.

Oh man. I so wanted to keep P&N out of this but I have to respond, and I REALLY didn't want to go there...

My father has had his 3rd bypass, a sextuple, suffered a heart attack and received top notch care - some of the best in the world. I'm glad you received good care as a fall like that can cause 5-10 years worth of care.

It's called insurance. If you have something to lose you will insure it. My health? I insure it to the max, supplement it and still pay less.

RollWave

Diamond Member
May 20, 2003
Originally posted by: spidey07
Originally posted by: Dean

:thumbsup:

Oh man. I so wanted to keep P&N out of this but I have to respond, and I REALLY didn't want to go there...

My father has had his 3rd bypass, a sextuple, suffered a heart attack and received top notch care - some of the best in the world. I'm glad you received good care as a fall like that can cause 5-10 years worth of care.

It's called insurance. If you have something to lose you will insure it. My health? I insure it to the max, supplement it and still pay less.

:thumbsup: