Michael Lee "MeatLoaf" Aday has passed

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 29, 2006
And yet, I can't recall if I've ever heard a single tune, and definitely can't hum any.
giphy-downsized-large.gif

JM Aggie08

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
“If I die, I die, but I’m not going to be controlled,” the rocker told The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

No, unfortunately he's just going to be dead rather than "controlled." Doesn't seem like a good tradeoff to me.

Wow, what a fucking clown.

Zero sympathy.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Damn. Listening to bat out of hell in remembrance.

Too bad he turned out to be a covidiot, I like him.
Pretty sure he's been an asshole for years now. Seem to remember some stories years ago about how much of an asshole he turned out to be, but can't remember any specifics. Oh well.

Reactions: Captante

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
I've heard mention of the name of the album, but I don't even recognize any of the song titles mentioned above. Maybe it's one of 'those bands' where I've heard the song but never knew the titles.

Oh, please continue to make this all about you.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Another Covid victim......so many....

Indeed.

The late rocker Meat Loaf was outspokenly anti-vaccine mandate and anti-mask before his death — once telling a reporter, “If I die, I die, but I’m not going to be controlled,” according to reports Friday.

The 74-year-old “Bat Out of Hell” singer — who was reportedly critically ill with COVID-19 before he passed away Thursday — was opposed to pandemic restrictions, slamming lockdowns and mask mandates during an interview last summer.

The Grammy Award-winning musician, whose real name was Marvin Lee Aday, also railed against vaccine mandates in Australia, sources told TMZ.

Meat Loaf, who struggled with asthma and other health conditions, told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette in August he considered lockdowns “political” and masks “useless” before offering reporter Scott Mervins an embrace.

Reactions: Pohemi

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i dont necessarily care for him as a person, but as the artist. Meatloaf deserves credit for not jumping on the hard rock bandwagon of the late 80s - mid 90s, but also for doing his own, fairly unique style.

I think the same applies to every celebrity. I'm sorry if i make this about myself, again, but when the guy who played the new Sulu died, i wasn't terribly worried, his character is 100% replaceable. I'm sure that his personal death is a tragedy to anyone who was near him, but the fact that his "persona" is gone doesn't really affect me. Also, i dont see them as being such a important contributor to their field, that i am personally at a loss for their death - there's nothing tying me into the tragedy.

On the other hand, i will miss people like Bowie both as an act, but also as a man worthy of respect for his work in the industry. Or Zappa. I would respect them even if their music was shit.

Sorry that he was a covidiot, but come on, he played the dad in Kickapoo - that's gotta be worth something.

Reactions: nakedfrog

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
i dont necessarily care for him as a person, but as the artist. Meatloaf deserves credit for not jumping on the hard rock bandwagon of the late 80s - mid 90s, but also for doing his own, fairly unique style.

I think the same applies to every celebrity. I'm sorry if i make this about myself, again, but when the guy who played the new Sulu died, i wasn't terribly worried, his character is 100% replaceable. I'm sure that his personal death is a tragedy to anyone who was near him, but the fact that his "persona" is gone doesn't really affect me. Also, i dont see them as being such a important contributor to their field, that i am personally at a loss for their death - there's nothing tying me into the tragedy.

On the other hand, i will miss people like Bowie both as an act, but also as a man worthy of respect for his work in the industry. Or Zappa. I would respect them even if their music was shit.

Sorry that he was a covidiot, but come on, he played the dad in Kickapoo - that's gotta be worth something.

Before you broadcast your indifference toward another human being's death, perhaps you should research your subject a tad.

The man whose life and work you so callously dismiss was named
Anton Yelchin
and he played Ensign Checkov, not Lt. Sulu.

Reactions: Captante and Pohemi

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Before you broadcast your indifference toward another human being's death, perhaps you should research your subject a tad.

The man whose life and work you so callously dismiss was named
Anton Yelchin
and he played Ensign Checkov, not Lt. Sulu.
im sorry to say this, but you're just pouring gas on the fire.

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
im sorry to say this, but you're just pouring gas on the fire.
I don't see how your glaringly wrong remark being corrected is "gas on the fire", besides maybe you just being indignant or in denial of your mistake.

Not trying to pile on you here, but really?? At least acknowledge that you named the entirely wrong character and actor.

"You only make it worse by pointing out my mistake! You best not do that!"

:rolleyes:

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
I don't see how your glaringly wrong remark being corrected is "gas on the fire", besides maybe you just being indignant or in denial of your mistake.

Not trying to pile on you here, but really?? At least acknowledge that you named the entirely wrong character and actor.

:rolleyes:
okkk ...

i confused Sulu with Chekov - honest mistake, if you believe that - because i am completely indifferent to a mediocre character in a mediocre film. The guy who did Kirk was cool, tho.

i *absolutely* am indifferent to the death of another human being, and so are you and your buddy feralkid. provided of course that:
1. we do not know them personally
2. they do not have a direct relevance in our lives
3. we are not indoctrinated to worship celebrities - which is where our difference lies.

Surely we all mourned when Seymour Phillip Hoffman or Robin Williams died, not because they were suicides, not because they were people, not because they were actors. But because they were GREAT actors. And great musicians, great sportsmen, and all people of outstanding quality - note the OUTSTANDING bit, that's really important.

People died today. People died while you are reading ATOT. Your local paper has an obituary, are you reading it and mourning right now?
There's countless tragedies to make your own if you are so inclined, and i'm sure i have suffered for the loss of those dear to me, when you have not. Is it because you were not aware that they had died? Because i don't think you're struggling to make yourself aware of how much death is around us - i think (pardon my egoism) that you saw it on tee-vee. And you are conditioned to this it's a big thing, because you've been told so.

Tell me what was great for you about wasshisname that Joe the plumber doesn't have. Google the news and cry for all the traffic accidents we had last night. I'll call you next year to see if you remember their names. "Gas on the fire" is because he linked his wiki page (with the remark "do your research") and there is absolutely nothing noteworthy there. Like, nothing nothing nothing.

Also, on a side note, he didn't send his car in despite it being on recall, and didn't take time to make sure THE THING THE CAR WAS BEING RECALLED FOR was functioning properly.
Sorry not sorry.

Meatloaf on the other hand ..

Last edited:
  • Wow

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
okkk ...

3. we are not indoctrinated to worship celebrities - which is where our difference lies.

There's countless tragedies to make your own if you are so inclined, and i'm sure i have suffered for the loss of those dear to me, when you have not. Is it because you were not aware that they had died? Because i don't think you're struggling to make yourself aware of how much death is around us - i think (pardon my egoism) that you saw it on tee-vee.
Your ego is bigger than you believe or would let on.

Despite your obvious assumptions, you are not the decider of what others have experienced or seen in life. You really haven't a clue for anyone BUT yourself, and yet you make these statements as if you were some omniscient being. You can keep your "tee-vee" reality, and keep assuming nobody but you has had any real life experience.

Your mistake in naming a celebrity isn't why I replied to you, but that's all you see. You dig in your heels and minimize a simple mistake when someone corrects you. "Who cares?!?" That's indignance and belligerence.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i see words but i dont see a reply ..

what does actor_guy have that your joe schmuck doesn't?
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/stretford-stabbing-murder-probe-teen-death-b1998845.html BAM! 16yo stabbed. We really should plaster this all over the media.
https://www.belfastlive.co.uk/news/belfast-news/two-men-die-after-crash-22845140 BADABIM ! double death. Tragic. So tragic.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...son-shooting-brookhaven-atlanta-b1998909.html Dude randomly killed by stray bullet
oh no wait that's in the US, stray bullets are normal for you. Ok sorry about that one.
https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/man-charged-murder-after-womans-22845606 woman murdered in her own flat !! OH THE HUMANITY.

just in case i have not made myself clear, i do not care, i do not have any investment, into the fact that "a human being" "has died" "somewhere".
AND NEITHER DO YOU.

.. i mean, if YOU died, i would care. You're here, you are in some way connected to me. We shared discussions online. But generic actor number 37, no.

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002

This is a thread about Meatloaf. If you would have just left out the 2nd paragraph this would have been fine.

GrumpyMan

Diamond Member
May 14, 2001
I was never into opera rock so I didn't like or listen to his music. But as a human and family man in general he was well regarded. RIP

Zanix

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2003
i see words but i dont see a reply ..

what does actor_guy have that your joe schmuck doesn't?
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/stretford-stabbing-murder-probe-teen-death-b1998845.html BAM! 16yo stabbed. We really should plaster this all over the media.
https://www.belfastlive.co.uk/news/belfast-news/two-men-die-after-crash-22845140 BADABIM ! double death. Tragic. So tragic.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...son-shooting-brookhaven-atlanta-b1998909.html Dude randomly killed by stray bullet
oh no wait that's in the US, stray bullets are normal for you. Ok sorry about that one.
https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/man-charged-murder-after-womans-22845606 woman murdered in her own flat !! OH THE HUMANITY.

just in case i have not made myself clear, i do not care, i do not have any investment, into the fact that "a human being" "has died" "somewhere".
AND NEITHER DO YOU.

.. i mean, if YOU died, i would care. You're here, you are in some way connected to me. We shared discussions online. But generic actor number 37, no.
Just stop. You sound more and more like a sociopath.