Michael Jenkins should be cut immediately...Atlanta Falcons

D22

Nov 13, 2004
That dropped pass is why Vick will never get recognition as a good QB...His receivers have done this his entirely pro career. If I was the coach I would tell my receivers straight up - If I see you drop a ball that on replay should have been a catch, you are benched the rest of teh game. I don't care if it gets to the point you are moving backup running backs into WR positions - The job of a WR is to catch balls that hit you in the hands/face/balls whatever. Stick Jerious Norwood in as WR....

Michael Jenkins has no place in the NFL - Get off the field you POS

Whisper

Diamond Member
Feb 25, 2000
Yeah, it can be pretty frustrating watching the Atlanta WRs play. People wonder why Vick goes to Crumpler in the air so much...it's mainly because he's the only one who seems to be capable of regularly catching the ball. Vick might not be the best passer in the league, but his receivers definitely aren't helping him out any.

D22

Nov 13, 2004
Even crumpler has sucked this year though...he already has like 3-6 drops. Not this game but the past two were horrible for him.

That is why I am saying, who cares who is in there anymore or if they are even supposed to be wide receivers. The falcons receiving has been in a crisis situation for the past 4 years. They have never had a go to guy.
Peerless price? SUCKED.
Finnaran? I used to call him Captain Butter Fingers
Jenkins? Rarely gets open and cannot catch the ball.
Roddy White? Already proven himself as a horrible waste of a draft pick...

The falcons need to spend ALL their money on defense and offensive linemen. Obviously their GM cannot pick a decent receiver. They either need to go after a MONEY WR like Owens or get Calvin Johnson out of Georgia Tech, otherwise give it up and get LINEMEN.

Mark my words on Calvin Johnson BTW - He will be the best WR in the NFL VERY quickly. The dude has that loser Reggie ball throwing him the ball for the love of god.

Syringer

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Originally posted by: D22
That dropped pass is why Vick will never get recognition as a good QB...His receivers have done this his entirely pro career. If I was the coach I would tell my receivers straight up - If I see you drop a ball that on replay should have been a catch, you are benched the rest of teh game. I don't care if it gets to the point you are moving backup running backs into WR positions - The job of a WR is to catch balls that hit you in the hands/face/balls whatever. Stick Jerious Norwood in as WR....

Michael Jenkins has no place in the NFL - Get off the field you POS

He will never get recognition as a good passer because he's not a good passer. While his receivers may be partly to blame, his long winding throwing motion/mechanics, his run first pass second mentality, and his overall inability to..throw that well is why he's at best an average thrower. He's yet to prove himself as being an effective thrower, aside from one year in college.

A good QB will always find a way to get balls to his receivers regardless of who they are, and the fact that he's been able to put together a good passing year in his career so far is indicative that he's just not very effective if he throws.

It's a chicken and egg case with the receivers being discouraged at not looking for the pass all the time when they know that Vick would rather run, as he's usually near the bottom of the league in pass attempts, just as some claim that he runs because his receivers are unable to catch it.

But the main reason that Vick will never become a protypical passer even with the best core of receivers, is because he's a shrimp ;)

Codewiz

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2002
Simple solution. Play Kevin Youngblood. He showed in preseason that he has AWESOME hands. He is a possession type receiver and will not drop the ball.

hdeck

Lifer
Sep 26, 2002
you should check out the miami receivers. those guys are just unbearable to watch (except maybe wes welker and chambers at times).

D22

Nov 13, 2004
Syringer:

All I have to say is this - Delhomme before Steve Smith vs Delhomme after Steve Smith...

The receiver makes the QB as much if not MORE SO than the QB makes the receiver...How do you want to explain that situation?

BTW - Did you even see the pass I was talking about? Vick scrambled and threw on the fly about 60 yards in the air. If the ball was caugnt it would have been on Sports Center all night as proof that Vick still has potential as a passer. Since it was dropped, no one is even talking about what a bad drop it was. The media has a problem with that kind of stuff, not focusing on the "shoulda woulda coulda" plays because sometimes they DO tell an important story.

Hdeck - Good point. Ol Daunte looked pretty good back in the days of Cris Carter and Randy Moss eh? Anyone want to argue that Culpepper is not an NFL QB or just the fact that Miami receivers blow balls? BTW - lets not forget that Daunte led the most potent offense in NFL HISTORY

D22

Nov 13, 2004
Please elaborate. I don't mind people bashing Vick if you actually want to make a real point. I'm not in the mood to hear "cute" comments...Yeah yeah there is nothing I can do to stop you but please just make a point.

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004
Originally posted by: j00fek
im sure vick had nothing to do with that loss
who is saying that vick is not partially responsible for the loss? no one. but the op has a valid point and michael jenkins dropped a 65 yd pass that was dead center in his hands.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
As mentioned, Crumpler has been pretty bad this year too. In the game vs the Saints he dropped a TD pass that hit him square in the hands. He also had a couple 3rd down conversions that he dropped in that game that should have been *easily* caught.

I agree that some of his passing numbers are skewed because they guy on the receiving end isn't holding up his part of the bargain.

Flashram

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2000
I know he's not the answer to their WR problems, but Ashley Lelie should be in there for more than 1 or 2 snaps.

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: alien42
Originally posted by: j00fek
im sure vick had nothing to do with that loss
who is saying that vick is not partially responsible for the loss? no one. but the op has a valid point and michael jenkins dropped a 65 yd pass that was dead center in his hands.

Yep. The number of dropped balls by Atlanta receivers numbers well into the double-digits this year. Even the normally sure-handed Alge Crumpler has been dropping balls left and right.

If anyone deserves to take the bulk of the blame for the Falcon's loss against the Giants however, it is the Giant's running game. They pounded the crap out of the Falcons defense and held onto the ball for almost the entire 2nd half.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Vick's receivers aren't the greatest in the world, and yes, they have dropped some of his passes -- but to me Vick will never be seen as a great passer because he's not. He's a terrible passer. He's got physical skills that no other QB in history has had, but he can't pass worth a darn. Occasionally he'll throw an incredible pass, but then proceed to throw 5 passes nowhere near his targets.

Given his penchant to run and his inability to lead receivers so they can catch the ball in stride, receivers tend to lose focus, and the cycle repeats.

Vick = overrated.

Lazy8s

Golden Member
Jun 23, 2004
Here's the way I see it. Everyone bashes vick's passing game but I see it as a WR problem as well. Substitute in ANY QB in the NFL and ask yourself "would tht solve the Falcon's problems?" The answer is an obvious no. However, if you got 1 of (we'd never get this lucky) 2 WRs that could consistantly catch balls that HIT THEIR HANDS the Falcons would be doing a whole lot better (imho).

It's really sad that I enjoy watching just about any college game more than the Falcons. It's just so frustrating to see a QB that can't do anything but run the ball because he has no one to pass to. Now, is Vick the greatest QB ever? No, but he's towards the top. If you watched the Texas-Baylor or the OSU-Michigan State game you saw better ball than the Falcons have played in a good while.

rise

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2004
brady has arguably the worst receivers in the league. not like he's lighting it up but they're 4-1 with a less potent running game than the falcons.

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
maybe the reciever are in shock that vick actually got a pass off right into their hands. maybe they're used to chasing the ball.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Originally posted by: D22
Syringer:

All I have to say is this - Delhomme before Steve Smith vs Delhomme after Steve Smith...

The receiver makes the QB as much if not MORE SO than the QB makes the receiver...How do you want to explain that situation?

Steve Smith does a fantastic job of adjusting to the ball. Almost doesn't matter where Dehomme puts it, Smith leaps, dives, turns his body or comes back for the ball. Outside or inside shoulder, short or long, no matter Smith's prolly gonna get it.

Before Smith, the Panthers relied on Ricky Proehl.

I think speed is over-rated in a receiver. If you can't catch it, who fscking cares how fast you run? Anybody remember Fred Bilitnikof (sp?). Slow as molassas, but in the Hall of Fame.

Fern

nitsuj3580

Platinum Member
Jun 13, 2001
Originally posted by: rise
brady has arguably the worst receivers in the league. not like he's lighting it up but they're 4-1 with a less potent running game than the falcons.

exactly and what about Donovan McNabb? 3 straight NFC championship games with the likes of Todd Pinkston, James Thrash, and Freddie Mitchell as his receivers (and then a 4th straight with TO). Last year, Phili had a cancer on their team but now they regrouped this year with a different group of no-name receivers. Brady and McNabb are QBs that make their WR's better. Obviously, really good WRs are going to make any QB look good (i.e. Culpepper and Delhomme).

Vick is an incredible athlete but his accuracy as a passer leaves a lot to be desired. He does throw a decent deep ball though like that throw to Jenkins but that's about it.

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: nitsuj3580
Originally posted by: rise

exactly and what about Donovan McNabb? 3 straight NFC championship games with the likes of Todd Pinkston, James Thrash, and Freddie Mitchell as his receivers (and then a 4th straight with TO). Last year, Phili had a cancer on their team but now they regrouped this year with a different group of no-name receivers.

Vick is an incredible athlete but his accuracy as a passer leaves a lot to be desired. He does throw a decent deep ball though like that throw to Jenkins but that's about it.

I've never seen either the Eagle's or the Patriot's receivers just flat-out drop balls like I've seen Falcon's receivers drop balls this year. Crumpler had a ball right between the numbers for a sure TD against the Saints and dropped it.

Maybe it's coaching. I don't know. But there is a visible difference in how the Falcon's receivers perform compared to their counterparts on either the Eagles or the Patriots.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
The ability to throw one 60 yard pass effectively does not mean he is an accurate quarterback. Consistently hitting the 10-20 yard passes precisely is what makes a great QB.

jlbenedict

Banned
Jul 10, 2005
/me just noticed that the OP is the same one that started the "Atlanta Falcons - Super Bowl Bound" thread

:D

Shlong

Diamond Member
Mar 14, 2002
You should also mention the Roddy White drop, where it hit him in the hands and he tipped the ball to a Giants defender. The falcons were within the 10 yard line too about to score. Vick had 3-4 TD drops this season. In 2002 under Dan Reeves, Vick was a decent passer he had his best season passing then but the Falcons had a balanced offensive line (run & pass). After the Falcons brought in Alex Gibbs & his cut blocking running system from Denver, the Falcons got offensive lineman that were light & great at run blocking... but they're probably the worst group when it comes to pass protection. It's unbalanced, the o-lineman excel in the run and are horrible at the pass. In 2002 you never saw pressure so instant in Vick's face & you never saw him get sacked 6-7 times a game like he does now. It's partly Vicks fault because you never see him call an audible to pick up blitzes but at the same time he has one of the worst set of WR's & O-lineman in the game. Vick is a below-average passer but he doesn't even really have a chance to grow or improve as one with the scrubs he has. Look at the splits for Culpepper when he played in Minnesota, the difference between when Moss was in the lineup & when he wasn't... Culpepper averaged 10%+ higher in completion & 150 yards more per game with Moss in. Jake Delhomme & Steve Smith is another example. A stud WR really helps.