Michael Flynn to invoke Fifth Amendment in collusion investigation

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
NY Times mentions he can be criminally charged for contempt. I assume this will never happen though ?

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/05/...th-amendment-russia-senate.html?_r=0&referer=

Mr. Flynn had been ordered by the Senate Intelligence Committee to hand over emails and other records related to any dealings with Russians. His decision to invoke his Fifth Amendment right puts him at risk of being held in contempt of Congress, which can result in a criminal charge.

It is up to lawmakers to decide whether to pursue that path. It was not immediately clear how the committee’s leaders would respond, though Senator Richard M. Burr of North Carolina, the panel’s Republican chairman, signaled late last week that it might not take that route.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
He might be taking it right to jail. I've been looking around and it seems that Flynn's business documents aren't viewed under the law as testimony would be. If the articles I've read are right then he could be in trouble. That of course would mean Congress acting on contempt and that is in no way guaranteed.

I'm sure he's going to jail for a long time no matter what unless he can delivery some big fish that aren't already nibbling at bait. In a certain way, answering just enough to avoid giving up the goat might make him more attractive for potential pleas.

Separately, the guy is no idiot when it comes to the intelligence community. I really can't imagine him taking the documented actions he has without knowing he would be exposed, which makes me wonder a lot of things. Perhaps he got too deep into something and this was his best way out.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000