Michael Chertoff-excellent interview, some on the Wall, most on data privacy

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
I caught this interview yesterday on PBS. I was never a big fan of Chertoff-as Secretary of Homeland Security under GWB he had a great deal of input into the Homeland Security Act. Apparently he has seen the light since his main emphasis these days is protecting what we have left of privacy. Linked below is a video of the interview. My takeaways:

-The Wall: We already have all the wall we need, physical barriers are only needed near highways or in urban areas. If really wanted a panel of experts could determine quickly maybe another 50 miles to build. What we really need is improved technology, more drones and better staffing.

-Privacy: China is expanding its reach into Africa, and they are selling their restricted versions of the internet to whatever other despotic governments want it. US and Europe should align to push against this. The biggest threat to privacy is commercial, not governmental in the US and the West.

https://www.pbssocal.org/programs/a...off-growing-threats-our-privacy-today-5j8gpz/