Miasmata (Game on Steam)

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Has anyone played this? I just checked out Steam's Miasmata page and watched the video and it looked interesting.

Thinking about picking it up as it's less than $14, and a different game than what I'm used to (FPS games, Company of Heroes, LOTRO), but was wondering if anyone has played it.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
I bought it. Haven't played it much because it wreaks havoc on my video card (an old 5770), so I'm waiting to get my 7870 back from Newegg and hopefully the game will run better.

Seems like a pretty decent game if you're into exploration. Apparently you're stranded, sick, and have to hunt for herbs to make medicine while some monster is stalking you. I don't know. Unfortunately there's not much else I can say about it, but the environment is certainly quite pretty.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Yikes, it ain't good on a 5770? What resolution and settings were you using?

I saw the recommended specs were a 4870, which I have. I don't have to play at max detail, that's for sure, but hopefully it'll be playable at a lower resolution and graphic settings.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
Yikes, it ain't good on a 5770? What resolution and settings were you using?

I saw the recommended specs were a 4870, which I have. I don't have to play at max detail, that's for sure, but hopefully it'll be playable at a lower resolution and graphic settings.

I first tried it out on High/Mostly-High settings at 1080p, and it was... playable; but certainly not pleasant. Extremely choppy and framey. I can't give you an exact framerate, but if I had to guess, it was hovering around 30fps at best. Likely much lower.

I turned all the graphics settings down to Low, and while it appeared to help the framerate, the game still kinda ran like ass. I eventually chalked it up to poor optimization and poor scalability. This is just my personal experience though. I'd be interested in seeing other people's setups and what kind of performance they're getting.

I'll definitely try it again when I get my 7870, which should be tomorrow. Performance problems aside, it seems like a pretty interesting game.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
saw a video from steam about it. looks interesting but not sure i would buy it. maybe on a sale.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
I did end up picking it up yesterday when it was still on sale. Didn't get to try it out yet but hopefully I will tonight.

That patch sounds like good news. I watched a few minutes of a Miasmata gameplay video; damn that shit needs some Vsync-enabled setting! Haha.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
I fired up the game again today with my 7870. I must say, it runs much, much better now. Still not amazingly smooth; but smooth enough to not take me out of the immersion. And that's without the supposed performance patch that's rumored to be released soon. After that patch (assuming there even is one), I imagine this game will be running great.

Long story short: Miasmata demands a high-end graphics card, no doubt about it.

As for the game itself, it really is quite interesting. There's almost no HUD, all actions are done with your hands directly in front of you, and with your journal that you keep stored on your person. The game basically just says "You're stranded in this large swath of land. You're alone. You're sick. Find a cure to survive." And it pretty much leaves you to it. You quickly discover more about the game by reading pieces of paper scattered around; they teach you how to pick plants, research them, and how to possibly synthesize them into medicine.

A very fine game if you're into exploration. It's quite scenic and atmospheric. I'm still not far into the game, but I'm just kind of wandering off and seeing what there is to discover.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
Do you get a weapon to deal with that monster?

In the beginning of the game, you find a knife. I have no idea what it's actually used for; I assume for combat (I haven't encountered any threats yet). You can also pick up rocks and sticks and use them as weapons.