Miami police shoot unarmed man

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Why was she resisting? Why was she even pulled over?

It appears she was talking and the cop went into obey my authority or else freak out mode. The encounter appears to have gone from some words to body slamming in a very short time. Cop lost his cool.

Pipeline 1010

Golden Member
Dec 2, 2005
Whelp, I've got some good news and some bad news.
Good news: the cop was convicted! Yay!
Bad news: of a misdemeanor.

But wait there's more good news/bad news.
Good news: some good cops criticized the way the department was handling the investigation! Yay they exist!
Bad news: not anymore. They don't exist anymore. The good cops were fired and demoted.

But wait. God damn it there's more.
Good news: the jury foreman apologized!
Bad news: to the cop for not being able to get him off while he shook the cop's hand.

FUCK

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005

Good news: some good cops criticized the way the department was handling the investigation! Yay they exist!
Bad news: not anymore. They don't exist anymore. The good cops were fired and demoted.

Bad news: to the cop for not being able to get him off while he shook the cop's hand.

FUCK

Pretty much what is expected. The main problem we have with the police is that they are not held accountable for their actions, so they don't act like they are accountable for their actions.
"To Protect and Serve" has become "To Enforce and Control".

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Pretty much what is expected. The main problem we have with the police is that they are not held accountable for their actions, so they don't act like they are accountable for their actions.
Should be "I think everybodies out there to kill me, so I escalate first"

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003

quit resisting! (as you are face down with a knee in the back of your neck)

so sad but true

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009

FUCK
Wtf... incredible. Who are these people who basically give cops a free pass on attempted murder?

Pipeline 1010

Golden Member
Dec 2, 2005
Wtf... incredible. Who are these people who basically give cops a free pass on attempted murder?

I think the average American can't bring themselves to think a cop might do something evil.

I remember reading something about a theory that people need to view their cops as good or else they can't view their society (and therefore themselves) as good.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
I think the average American can't bring themselves to think a cop might do something evil.

I remember reading something about a theory that people need to view their cops as good or else they can't view their society (and therefore themselves) as good.

I think that is changing. Even most of the staunchest 'blue lives matter' people from two years ago are changing their minds. Almost every one of them have now decided that these sort of things are happening way too often and we might need to do something about it.

I still hear the 'few bad apples' argument, but it is easy enough to remind them that the saying actually goes 'a few bad apples spoil the bunch.' That sure most officers are not going around shooting innocent people, but the few that do give them all a black eye, and that it would not hurt the majority of the good ones to hold the bad ones responsible. They tend to agree with me after that.

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
I think that is changing. Even most of the staunchest 'blue lives matter' people from two years ago are changing their minds. Almost every one of them have now decided that these sort of things are happening way too often and we might need to do something about it.

I still hear the 'few bad apples' argument, but it is easy enough to remind them that the saying actually goes 'a few bad apples spoil the bunch.' That sure most officers are not going around shooting innocent people, but the few that do give them all a black eye, and that it would not hurt the majority of the good ones to hold the bad ones responsible. They tend to agree with me after that.
Someone needs to run TV PSAs that says hey cops screw up too and need to go to jail. There was a study by some UofC economists who found that 10-15% of all tricks prostitutes were turning were for cops who were more or less extorting them. It's not in anyway a noble profession. I liken them more to roadkill removal or orderlies at mental institutions: a necessary and unpleasant service that most be provided rather than a position to be exalted in society.

Pipeline 1010

Golden Member
Dec 2, 2005

I disagree because every single time every juror agrees that the cop should walk. THEY are the ones who can "do something about it." They refuse.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
I disagree because every single time every juror agrees that the cop should walk. THEY are the ones who can "do something about it." They refuse.

I think that has more to do with the problems with Voir Dire than the general population. Our jury system is currently broken and needs to be fixed. I think a fix to that is something that could come from all this as well.

Pipeline 1010

Golden Member
Dec 2, 2005
I think that has more to do with the problems with Voir Dire than the general population. Our jury system is currently broken and needs to be fixed. I think a fix to that is something that could come from all this as well.

At this point I'm starting to give up on ever actually prosecuting these guys, but I'd be OK with getting them permanently out of law enforcement. I like the idea of requiring personal, individual insurance. If they become uninsurable due to bad behavior/lawsuits, then they can't be LEO. If enough guys lose their careers, there could be a change in mentality due to the fact that there are now consequences for actions.

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000

FUCK
Absolutely FUCKING nauseating. :mad::mad::mad: