Mexico crying foul over Stat's Rights vs. Federal Rights

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Mexico threatens Arizona over anti-illegals measure
Official says challenge in international courts possible to block voter-passed Proposition 200

Posted: January 28, 2005
1:00 a.m. Eastern

© 2005 WorldNetDaily.com

A Mexican government official has threatened to use international courts to block an Arizona law meant to limit public benefits and voting rights to legal residents of the U.S.

Foreign Secretary Luis Ernesto Derbez said in a radio interview Wednesday that an international strategy would be used if other attempts to reverse Proposition 200 fail, the Associated Press reported.

"We are seeking all the legal opportunities that exist, first using the legal capacities of the United States itself and ... if that does not work, bringing it to international tribunals," AP quotes Derbez as saying.

Mexican officials have repeatedly complained about Proposition 200, which went into effect Tuesday. The statewide measure denies most taxpayer benefits to illegal aliens and requires state workers to report applicants for such benefits who may not be eligible. It also requires anyone registering to vote in the state to show proof of citizenship and bring a government-issued ID to the polling place.

AP reported Derbez expressed regret that, according to polls, about 40 percent of Mexican-Americans in Arizona supported Prop. 200. The measure passed with 60 percent of the vote.

"It's sad, and it gives an idea of how we have to work to educate even our own Mexican-Americans about why it is important that these proposals are not accepted," Derbez said.

The Mexican American Legal Defense and Educational Fund has challenged Prop. 200, saying it is "an illegal, impermissible, unconstitutional state attempt to regulate immigration policy, which is a fundamental function and responsibility of our federal government. Proposition 200 is mean-spirited and un-American."

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
I am not amazed by the Mexican immigration situation. Our government is beholden to corporate interests who want cheap labor. End of story. Can't have any limits while they are owned. You get what you vote for America.

AFB

Lifer
Jan 10, 2004
Originally posted by: Infohawk
I am not amazed by the Mexican immigration situation. Our government is beholden to corporate interests who want cheap labor. End of story. Can't have any limits while they are owned. You get what you vote for America.

No, you get what everyone as a whole votes for.
Edit: Didn't read last word.

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
And I was speaking to America as a whole, which includes a lot of whiny conservatives who vote for corporate interests year after year.

jlmadyson

Platinum Member
Aug 13, 2004
And I was speaking to America as a whole, which includes a lot of whiny conservatives who vote for corporate interests year after year.

Lest we forget who signed NAFTA into law.

SViscusi

Golden Member
Apr 12, 2000
Originally posted by: jlmadyson

Conservative and moderate democrats and republicans against the wishes and warnings of Liberals?

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002

Not sure what NAFTA has to do with illegal immigration... do you?

daveshel

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999

I am continually amazed at the stupidity of voters in my state. I swear nobody who works for a living votes (except me).

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Better idea -- Let's forget we signed NAFTA into law. The way things are, now, all we got out of NAFTA was a huge target painted on the backs of American workers and their jobs.

Sorry, but I have no sympathy for illegal aliens. They cut in line ahead of all the legal immigrants. Sympathy and compassion I'm willing to give. A free pass and rights they don't deserve, I am not.

jlmadyson

Platinum Member
Aug 13, 2004

"corporate interests"

jlmadyson

Platinum Member
Aug 13, 2004

"corporate interests"

Ozoned

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2004
When you look at the big picture, Whatever the cost is for illegal immigration, Legal Americans (like you and me) pay for it.

Fvck Mexico and what they think. The problem needs fixed.......

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
Originally posted by: Ozoned
When you look at the big picture, Whatever the cost is for illegal immigration, Legal Americans (like you and me) pay for it.

Some people would argue the cost is paid back by their low wages (and I'm not one of them).

In any case, it's funny to see you conservatives complaining about this. Do you think your shrub is going to help you? I think he wants the cheap labor. ;)

Stunt

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2002
What's the deal with NAFTA anyways...some americans seem to hate it, canadians tend to hate it...is it all mexico's gain?...

Ozoned

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2004

Some people would argue the cost is paid back by their low wages (and I'm not one of them).

In any case, it's funny to see you conservatives complaining about this. Do you think your shrub is going to help you? I think he wants the cheap labor. ;)
The people that are paying for the cheap labor would also be the ones paying the high taxs that pay for a significant portion of the social services that these people consume.

Nobody really wins with this cheap labor, it is just an illusion.

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002

The people that are paying for the cheap labor would also be the ones paying the high taxs that pay for a significant portion of the social services that these people consume.

Nobody really wins with this cheap labor, it is just an illusion.

Do you have calculations of the economic gains from super-cheap labor vs. the small costs from social services? Social services aren't that big of a proportion of government spending. Big businesses aren't dumb. They do what's good for their bottom line and they like getting the cheap labor.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Looks like we need to send a few waaaahmbulances down Mexico way... if they want citizen's benefits, they need to become citizens.

jlmadyson

Platinum Member
Aug 13, 2004

Let me spell out for you. Your whole thesis on whiney conservatives is about half-truth. The other part includes all the whiney liberals who voted for Clinton, who signed into law, NAFTA, which just turns out to be cheap labor to Mexicans as well. Thus you can blame the liberals as much as the conservatives for voting for so-called corporate interests year after year.

Is it coming into focus now?

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002

Let me spell out for you. Your whole thesis on whiney conservatives is about half-truth. The other part includes all the whiney liberals who voted for Clinton, who signed into law, NAFTA, which just turns out to be cheap labor to Mexicans as well. Thus you can blame the liberals as much as the conservatives for voting for so-called corporate interests year after year.

Yes, it's becoming clear you don't see the difference between illigal immigration and free trade. The problem is not cheap labor for Mexicans alone. It's great if they get jobs. NAFTA was designed to help them get jobs in MEXICO by making it easier for US Capital to get to work there. That's NOT a problem. Corporate interests want cheap Mexican labor in America and thus block immigration reform. That's a problem.

jlmadyson

Platinum Member
Aug 13, 2004

Yes, it's becoming clear you don't see the difference between illigal immigration and free trade. The problem is not cheap labor for Mexicans alone. It's great if they get jobs. NAFTA was designed to help them get jobs in MEXICO by making it easier for US Capital to get to work there. That's NOT a problem. Corporate interests want cheap Mexican labor in America and thus block immigration reform. That's a problem.

This has nothing to do with the fact that I brought up NAFTA in rebuttal of your half-truth argument on whiny conservatives supporting corporate interests. The fact that both liberals and conservatives have supported laissez-faire legislation on trade and labor from year to year is the bigger picture.

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002

This has nothing to do with the fact that I brought up NAFTA in rebuttal of your half-truth argument on whiny conservatives supporting corporate interests. The fact that both liberals and conservatives have supported laissez-faire legislation on trade and labor from year to year is the bigger picture.

Listen, some Democrats have helped corporate interests. No doubt about that. But Republicans are the party of corporate interests so it's especially laughable when they try to complain about the consequences of their votes.

(Still don't see how NAFTA really relates as it doesn't speak to immigration as far as I know).

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
This whole Mexico/immigration issue never ceases to amaze me.

Same here. Bout time Mexico stfu and tried to improve it's own affairs instead of concerning itself with ours. This makes me think of the headline from awhile ago about the sobriety checks cops were doing, you know, the ones they ended up halting as it was netting too many illegals!

It really is a shame this admin doesn't view border security as a matter of national security. What a concept!