Metromile (with dongle) > Mercury for low mileage driver???

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I drive a paid-for Mazda 626LX, 1997 sedan with less than 32,000 miles on it. Been with Mercury insurance for some years. I haven't had a citation or accident for ~50 years!

I have been driving less than 1500 mi/year for decades. Currently less than 750 mi/year.

Sometimes my rate will jump and I call my insurance agent, tell him what my odometer reads and he comes back with a lower quote. That's a PITA, but not terrible.

Recently Mercury's quote has gone up, ~12%/year 6 months ago, ~14% per year on the bill that's due today. I went to Metromile online today and worked up a quote in chat that's similar to my Mercury except that medical expense drops to $1000 from Mercury's $5000. Otherwise, I think it's the same:

Bodily injury liability 100K each person, 300k each accident
Property damage liability 100k each accident
Uninsured motorists bodily injury liability 100k each person, 300k each accident
Uninsured motorists propterty damage liability $3,500 maximum

Metromile with my current usage comes to $27/mo + 3.4 cents/mile, and for me the bill would be ~$29/mo. That would save me $247/year. BUT, my insurance agent said my homeowner's insurance would increase ~$135/year because I would lose my multi-policy discount. So, baring rate increases or an accident or something, I'd come out ahead around $112/year jumping ship to Metromile.

But... Metromile would require me to install their dongle in the OBD II port in the car. That would keep track of my mileage. It also garners other info, including speed, warning messages about engine, etc. issues, I suppose other stuff. That could be considered spyware. There may be a way to turn off some of that stuff if I want to, I think I saw somewhere. If and when I cancel Metromile, I have to send the device back to them.

Metromile and Mercury have so so reviews. There are major complaints from some customers. Their business model is way different. I think Metromile sticks to car insurance. They aren't national organizations in terms of being available everywhere, just a subset of states.

My agent says if I want to I can come back to Mercury, no problem.

Switch auto insurance to Metromile or stay with Mercury? Gotta decide today, at least for now, my Mercury payment is due today (online).

Last edited:

mrblotto

Golden Member
Jul 7, 2007
I would keep what you have now. I would NOT volunteer giving whatever data Metromile wants (to be perhaps used later to raise rates or such other BS exuses)

my 2 cents :)

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I would keep what you have now. I would NOT volunteer giving whatever data Metromile wants (to be perhaps used later to raise rates or such other BS exuses)

my 2 cents :)
You may be totally right. Just want to say that I know what Mercury wants from me now and if Metromile ups their rates (for whatever reason) above what Mercury wants (I assume I can always get that by calling my insurance agent), I can go back to Mercury. I suppose a murky issue is that OBD II dongle. Some would welcome it because it monitors the car's activities, internal and otherwise, probably including LOCATION. Some would say no based on that. I don't know how I'd benefit from it, actually. Maybe I could figure that out.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
For saving less than $10/month overall, doesn't really seem worthwhile.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
For saving less than $10/month overall, doesn't really seem worthwhile.
Yeah, I can see this reasoning. I actually passed on it for now and paid my bill with Mercury for the next 6 months. If Mercury keeps upping my bill ~10% every 6 months I will have another look at Metromile. Long as I don't have any accidents or tickets, I suppose it might be OK. The dongle thing? Well, I'm not paranoid about surveillance/spyware. But maybe I should be.

Metromile tells me if I want to quit them they will furnish me with an envelope to send the dongle back to them. The dongle includes GPS, which could be useful... or a detriment, hard to say.