Metro Atlanta police officer shoots, kills naked, unarmed man

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Harabec

Golden Member
Oct 15, 2005
Are the two of you suggesting that policemen be exclusively in the top 1% in this country in terms of physical strength and fighting ability? Or that an officer in the 90th percentile should wait until they discover by virtue of being on the losing side of a hand to hand fight that their opponent is in the 95th percentile?

I'm just wondering why the only option is to play executioner.
My brothers were trained to use all kinds of stuff to handle situations like this in the army. Firing your gun isn't the only way and yes, cops should be fit and know how to physically handle people, a baton and a taser are also good choices.

Otherwise people will just keep running into bullets.

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
So if they ever repeal the 2nd amendment, can we assume that you'd be the first to turn in your guns? After all, the law is the law, right?

Yes actually I would. It will never happen, but if it did I would turn them in.

I'm just wondering why the only option is to play executioner.

The person who charged him gave the officer the option to play self defense. The officer was not an executioner. We don't know anything else about this other than the guy charged the officer. Not how big either was, how close they were, nothing. It said that the officer backed up, gave verbal commands to stop, and when he did not comply drew his gun and fired two shots. Ideally using a taser would have been better. None of us where there, we don't know all the circumstances of what happened. You cannot say with certainty what you would do in that situation. You can claim that you do, but you don't.

The facts are, the officer was charged. The officer backed up and told him to stop. The guy did not stop, and got shot. Once again, don't do things to get shot, and you won't get shot. So simple, yet people still don't do it. But like always, people jump at the chance to put down cops and blame everything on them.

And I agree that officers should be fit. There should be requirements. Not only when graduating but as long as you wear the badge. We have all seen some fat fucking cops, and it's pathetic in my opinion.

Last edited:

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
Don't charge an officer, and you don't get shot. Rules so simple yet people can't follow them. What do you think he was going to do, hug the officer? No, he meant to do harm. No other reason to charge at anyone. Could he have used his taser? Yeah. Should he had it out instead of his gun? Perhaps. Still have no problem with this. If he didn't shoot the guy could have gotten the gun, or otherwise harmed the officer.

Yep. I have zero issue with how this was handled.

The man was naked. He was likely suffering from mental issues. The solution to mental issues isn't to kill those with problems. The sad part is that police reach for a gun before their pepper spray or baton. The gun should be the absolute last option, but it seems to be the first and only.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
5 facts about this incident.
Several of my friends have been posting a lot about this on Facebook seeing as I live in Dekalb. So I'm sure I'll see more information in the coming days.
Things to note from this article. He was bipolar. He was receiving treatment from the VA as an Air Force veteran.
Remember this is the same county that shot a man and his 3-legged dog dead after he called the police when his girlfriend was stabbed.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
He was African American aka 'a black guy'.

Whoops. No one actually mentioned that? But... the idea of no protests had me believing he wasn't. Let's forget that...

What's important is people should be protesting for this guy. He wasn't a violent store robber.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
Where did you get that from? Nothing I've seen indicates he had a weapon. Unless a naked man's penis is a weapon.

463.jpg

WackyDan

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
Yea, that still doesn't explain why the cops couldn't use a tazer on a naked dude.

There was literally no fucking reason to use lethal force in this case. He doesn't even have to be on you for you to taze him...a tazer has barbs that shoot out. He would have been incapacitated.

Not all cops carry Tazers... Just an FYI for you. IF this cop was carrying a Tazer and used that, this wouldn't be news.

If this cop had a Tazer, and didn't use it instead of his gun then that would be a story worthy of debate and investigation.

If all he had was his firearm then he was following his training. All this nonsense about police killing unarmed people... You do not need to be armed to be considered a violent threat to an officer.... and yes, the officer has the right to defend himself appropriately as defined by the law and his duty as a police officer.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
Not all cops carry Tazers... Just an FYI for you. IF this cop was carrying a Tazer and used that, this wouldn't be news.

If this cop had a Tazer, and didn't use it instead of his gun then that would be a story worthy of debate and investigation.

If all he had was his firearm then he was following his training. All this nonsense about police killing unarmed people... You do not need to be armed to be considered a violent threat to an officer.... and yes, the officer has the right to defend himself appropriately as defined by the law and his duty as a police officer.

From an earlier link:
Olsen was armed with a Taser

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
Well then, your position is quite clear. You're a boot licking slave.

My position is that I follow laws. It is irrelevant because it would never happen. But let me guess you'd be some badass hiding out in the woods with your guns right? Or you would be part of a civil war over weapons. Oh man, you're so cool.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
My position is that I follow laws. It is irrelevant because it would never happen. But let me guess you'd be some badass hiding out in the woods with your guns right? Or you would be part of a civil war over weapons. Oh man, you're so cool.
So your position would obviously be a boot licking slave....correct?

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Probobly off his meds, everyone is running around off their meds............

Remember the Florida zombie? Remember the Facebook movement "Kony 2012" guy that was jacking it in San Diego?

Bath salts make people have a strange compulsion to strip naked and masturbate or eat other people's faces off.

There's lots of misinformation saying the Florida zombie cannibal was not on any drugs. It's just that bath salts were new and they weren't actually testing specifically for that.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Since police started being trained to fear for their life every second of the day. That's my whole problem, cops are trained to think they are in a war zone.

So cops should be prepared to lose fingers and have their eyes gouged instead? Just accept these casualties as part of the job?

People that charge an officer and aren't prepared to die are really dumb.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Yea, that still doesn't explain why the cops couldn't use a tazer on a naked dude.

There was literally no fucking reason to use lethal force in this case. He doesn't even have to be on you for you to taze him...a tazer has barbs that shoot out. He would have been incapacitated.

A cop is fortunate if both barbs actually embed. When that doesn't happen, the taser has no effect. It's better used to force compliance when someone is already subdued and is still resisting, which could cause injury to the arresting officers.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
The man was naked. He was likely suffering from mental issues. The solution to mental issues isn't to kill those with problems. The sad part is that police reach for a gun before their pepper spray or baton. The gun should be the absolute last option, but it seems to be the first and only.

Probably bath salts. The Florida zombie cannibal was practically unstoppable until lethal force was used.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
I read this thread yesterday and was sure I bumped it, but can't remember why. Strange. More twin ESP?

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
The person who charged him gave the officer the option to play self defense. The officer was not an executioner. We don't know anything else about this other than the guy charged the officer. Not how big either was, how close they were, nothing. It said that the officer backed up, gave verbal commands to stop, and when he did not comply drew his gun and fired two shots. Ideally using a taser would have been better. None of us where there, we don't know all the circumstances of what happened. You cannot say with certainty what you would do in that situation. You can claim that you do, but you don't.

The facts are, the officer was charged. The officer backed up and told him to stop. The guy did not stop, and got shot. Once again, don't do things to get shot, and you won't get shot. So simple, yet people still don't do it. But like always, people jump at the chance to put down cops and blame everything on them.

And I agree that officers should be fit. There should be requirements. Not only when graduating but as long as you wear the badge. We have all seen some fat fucking cops, and it's pathetic in my opinion.

Ok, honestly how many times have you shot the shit out of your own shadow? It amazes me how tough cops try to pretend to be yet their actions show them to be scared little bitches. Oh the noes, completely unarmed man who has obvious mental issues is running in your direction and he has a much bigger dick than you, kill the fucker!!!