Method to determine cause of HDD activity?

Discussion in 'Software for Windows' started by zCypher, Dec 27, 2012.

1. zCypher

zCypher Diamond Member

Wondering if there is an easy way to find out what exactly the hard drive is going when crunching away. Every second or two I am getting some crunchy action going on on my D: drive. I don't see any network activity to match the HDD activity in task manager.

[​IMG]

Any ideas?

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Method determine activity Forum Date
    Windows 10 tracking, disable via hosts and other methods? Software for Windows May 21, 2016
    Method for encoding long videos peppered with dialog for faster playback? Software for Windows Sep 2, 2015
    Best Windows 7 and Windows 10 backup methods? Software for Windows Jul 19, 2015
    Method to determine size of array in Java Software for Windows Dec 4, 2003
    Formula / Method to determine similarity between two LONNG strings? Software for Windows Feb 14, 2003

3. zCypher

zCypher Diamond Member

Ah, perhaps nevermind... resource monitor, linked to from the task manager gives some helpful info:

[​IMG]

4. zCypher

zCypher Diamond Member

Yup, I suspended the windows defender process (MsMpEng.exe) and the crunching stopped immediately. heh.

5. Revolution 11

Revolution 11 Senior member

Yeah, I have also noticed that MsMpEng.exe has recently caused a lot of hard drive activity/thrashing. Don't worry about the uninstall, Microsoft Security Essentials is not that good according to recent malware tests.