Meth ravages Rural Midwest Communities

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I wonder if the Times keeps track of how many times people get to their sign-up page and say forget it I'll go read something else ?

Jmman

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 1999
Definitely need to legalize that stuff. If Meth was legal all our problems would go away......
rolleye.gif

Bitdog

Dec 3, 2003
Chewing on ball point pens kills 100 Americans every year.
We've got to do something about that.
But first we're going to have to take all your freedoms and tax the hell out of you,
but if we can save one life it will be worth it.

Next: Stairs are a big killer.
Just say NO to stairs.
Carpenters are stair pushers.
There's got to be a law against carpenters.
If we can save one life it will be worth it.

etc

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
The benefits from Ballpoint pens and stairs outweigh the risks. They are both regulated though and willfully violating those regulations is illegal, I'm sure.

And freedom isn't absolute. A long time ago we decided drugs should be regulated, to ensure they are safe, effective, and their use is supervised by appropriate medical professionals.

That's the underlying reason why meth and MJ are illegal, and should be.

DamnDirtyApe

Apr 30, 2001
Originally posted by: Dead Parrot Sketch
A long time ago we decided drugs should be regulated, to ensure they are safe, effective, and their use is supervised by appropriate medical professionals.

That sounds like a great way to deal with drug use. However, since drugs like Meth are illegal, the medical system can't treat addicts properly with gradual dosage reduction like they would for addiction to legal drugs.

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
And freedom isn't absolute. A long time ago we decided drugs should be regulated, to ensure they are safe, effective, and their use is supervised by appropriate medical professionals.
Actually the
history of the FDA is far more complicated despite the laudable goals noted in the current FDA Mission Statement. Congress has actually written explicit laws forbidding the FDA from regulating pharmacologic substances while outlawing the use of agents (marijuana) for political reasons and then certifying the use of substantially similar agents (THC analogues) for purely financial reasons. Of the few patients I know that have tried Marinol (prescription THC) and marijuana . . . everyone favors MJ . . . fewer side effects and works better for symptom relief; but I imagine getting stoned is a perceived benefit as well.

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
This sounds more like a political position than a statement of fact. Although I don't claim to have full knowledge of the issue, I find it hard to accept the claim that-

"(Congess?)(certifying the use of substantially similar agents (THC analogues) for purely financial reasons. "

Sounds like the opinion of someone who think MJ should be legalized so they look to the above action as sinister, when from another point of view there are other reasons for certifying these other agents instead of MJ.

One I can think of is it would be very difficult to determine the proper dosage of THC from inhalation of dried up weeds versus the same compund in a controlled dosage like a pill. That's assuming there is a medical use for THC, which I don't know one way or the other.

burnedout

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Meth ravages Rural Midwest Communities
Meth, along with Oxy's, also ravage Appalachian communities. Got word of a couple OD's while home on vacation. This has turned into a very huge problem there.

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002
Originally posted by: Jmman
Definitely need to legalize that stuff. If Meth was legal all our problems would go away......
rolleye.gif

Would it? I mean, if it sudden became legal. The price would drop making it unprofitable. Would you start snorting meth if it became legal?

maluckey

Platinum Member
Jan 31, 2003
He was being sarcastic.......

Would more smoke, snort, or partake? Sure, it's illegal now, and plenty here in Arkansas throw their lives away for Meth. I'd wager that more than a few would join in the fun if it was legal. Would it be legal to cook your own Meth if legalization comes around? Most in this state do just that. Market price is about lowest in the U.S. for Meth, and quality of product is far above the national average, with some labs reaching seventy percent conversion rate to Meth.

Witling

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2003
Fact Police Bulletin:

Dead Parrot Sketch expressed the following opinion:

"And freedom isn't absolute. A long time ago we decided drugs should be regulated, to ensure they are safe, effective, and their use is supervised by appropriate medical professionals.

That's a fun statement but "a long time ago" depends on your point of view. Drug regulation in general is a very recent phenonum in terms of human existence. Drug use was very popular and semi-acceptable (at least not illegal) in England up until this century. Marijuana was not illegal in the U.S. until it started to be used by the "white" population. It became illegal in the '30's. And, I still don't hear those Southern, "states rights" states chiming in about state laws that decriminalize marijuana.

Bitdog

Dec 3, 2003
Dead Parrot Sketch, Quote
The benefits from Ballpoint pens and stairs outweigh the risks. They are both regulated though and willfully violating those regulations is illegal, I'm sure.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The first USA drug laws started about 1914, they have & were used discriminateingly ever since.
When we got done using the Chineze to build our Transcontental Railroad which created this
nation, we created a law against the Chineze by making opium a controled substance,
since the Chineze were the only group which used it. California had a law against being
Chineze. That was the state of mind at the time. When a substance is made an illegal controled substance, the control of the substance goes to the new supplyer.
Those who don't understand that & supply & demand, shouldn't be making any decision on esculating the failing drug war, just like people with credit card debt shouldn't be decideing the economy for us.
When drugs are made illegal, what happens is that the quality and purity is left to
the street dealer, so a law against a drug insures it becomes a dangerous drug.
People don't take their friends to the hospital if their hurt, if there are any illegal drugs involved. Then the deaths are blamed on the drug.
With the current drug laws, a person can get heroin in federal maximum security jails.
There is nothing supervised by approperiate medical professionals in the illegal drug trade/use. I hear hundreds of adds by the government trying to brain wash you.
I only have to hear something once to understand the message,
if its repeated hundreds of times a day, it's brain washing.
Some people don't mind brain washing, don't resist it, & don't think for themselves.
Instead of giving you valid info in occasional adds & allowing you to make up your own mind
they do brain washing.
Just say no, is a failed idea, yet there is big money in playing that crap repeatedly,
We the tax payer, pays for it.
I could go on for page after page, but the fact that I can't see one valid truth
in anything you said concerning the drug war, is where I'll leave it.

Witling

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2003
Dang it, BitDog! In detailing the problems with making drugs illegal, you forgot to mention the crime syndicates and enormous profits that come from making a drug illegal. Two kinds of people vote for prohibition. Criminals and saints.

nutxo

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001
Originally posted by: Bitdog
Dead Parrot Sketch, Quote

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The first USA drug laws started about 1914, they have & were used discriminateingly ever since.
When we got done using the Chineze to build our Transcontental Railroad which created this
nation, we created a law against the Chineze by making opium a controled substance,
since the Chineze were the only group which used it. California had a law against being
Chineze. That was the state of mind at the time. When a substance is made an illegal controled substance, the control of the substance goes to the new supplyer.
Those who don't understand that & supply & demand, shouldn't be making any decision on esculating the failing drug war, just like people with credit card debt shouldn't be decideing the economy for us.
When drugs are made illegal, what happens is that the quality and purity is left to
the street dealer, so a law against a drug insures it becomes a dangerous drug.
People don't take their friends to the hospital if their hurt, if there are any illegal drugs involved. Then the deaths are blamed on the drug.
With the current drug laws, a person can get heroin in federal maximum security jails.
There is nothing supervised by approperiate medical professionals in the illegal drug trade/use. I hear hundreds of adds by the government trying to brain wash you.
I only have to hear something once to understand the message,
if its repeated hundreds of times a day, it's brain washing.
Some people don't mind brain washing, don't resist it, & don't think for themselves.
Instead of giving you valid info in occasional adds & allowing you to make up your own mind
they do brain washing.
Just say no, is a failed idea, yet there is big money in playing that crap repeatedly,
We the tax payer, pays for it.
I could go on for page after page, but the fact that I can't see one valid truth
in anything you said concerning the drug war, is where I'll leave it.

chinese?

There are no federal maximum security jails as far as I know.