Meteorite hits central Russia, 400+ injured

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
How do you change its velocity?

A couple of different ways.

Don't laugh but you could paint one side of the Aestroid and this would cause the sun to heat one side of the Aestroid more than the other which can cause a change.

The other way is to use what is called a gravity tractor. You put in orbit around the Aestroid a large spacecraft with sufficient mass. The spacecraft and aestroid would mutually attract each other. If the spacecraft had some type of propulsion like a Ion drive it could drive it's self slowly away acting against the gravity force of attraction. This would slowly cause the aestroid to pull itself in the direction of the spacecraft which would change it's velocity. All you need to do it's change it velocity by a tiny bit.

randomrogue

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2011
Interesting. Step one is a spacecraft though. So lets invest in an actual space program. If anything we should have something for humans within the solar system and an unmanned probe program for outside the solar system. If/when we get fast enough propulsion we can start looking outside the solar system.

klinc

Jan 30, 2011
at this point we can do fuck all about meteors, so anything really would better than what we currently have. One day a big one WILL hit and WILL kill all life left on the planet, whether we'll be around to see it is the question.

I want to make a point about shrinking NASA funding vs. welfare/stupid wars but I'd rather not turn this thread political, although I guess I just did...

Actually we still got Bruce Willis and a drill

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
A couple of different ways.

Don't laugh but you could paint one side of the Aestroid and this would cause the sun to heat one side of the Aestroid more than the other which can cause a change.

The other way is to use what is called a gravity tractor. You put in orbit around the Aestroid a large spacecraft with sufficient mass. The spacecraft and aestroid would mutually attract each other. If the spacecraft had some type of propulsion like a Ion drive it could drive it's self slowly away acting against the gravity force of attraction. This would slowly cause the aestroid to pull itself in the direction of the spacecraft which would change it's velocity. All you need to do it's change it velocity by a tiny bit.

Lol, you are an idiot.

chihlidog

Apr 12, 2011
Interesting. Step one is a spacecraft though. So lets invest in an actual space program. If anything we should have something for humans within the solar system and an unmanned probe program for outside the solar system. If/when we get fast enough propulsion we can start looking outside the solar system.

Several workable methods of interstellar propulsion have been proposed, but the most likely candidate, unfortunately, isnt possible due to international treaty.

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
We should elevate further or funding of the tracking of asteroids.

We should also elevate further or funding of missions to asteroids with the eventual go of being able to change the velocity of a asteroid in case we do find one on a intercept course.

Maybe this incident will reduce some of the giggle factor when there is talk about methods to track and asteroid intercept.

That is change the trajectory not the velocity. Much easier and efficient.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
armageddon.jpg

Do wanna close my eyes! :whiste:
Are those the Biospherians?

88keys

Golden Member
Aug 24, 2012
That was the shock wave? They had a mythbusters episode where they wanted to prove whether supersonic shock waves could break glass. The only way they could get it to happen was with a fighter jet at Mach 1.03 flying 200 feet above the ground. That was because it warped one window frame too. Was very anti-climatic.

I used to like Mythbusters back in the day. And I still kinda do.

But my biggest complaint is that it often seem like they are set out to "bust" the myth which I suppose is fine as the title of the show implies that. However I wouldn't call what they do a real science in the sense that real scientific testing shouldn't be conducted with the purpose to debunk or prove any kind of hypothesis. It's only purpose should be to discover the truth regardless of whether or not it supports the hypothesis.

Anyway, get ready for the end-timers to come back because the next pope is the last pope and will herald the apocalypse according to a prophecy, and I'm sure they'll tell us that the lightning strike on the Vatican and the meteroite in Russia are all related to this.

alzan

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
These things happen all the time. We just blame them on terrorists. Oklahoma city, New York and the Pentagon, USS Cole, Beirut barracks, Kenya Embassy, etc.

The Dorner cabin was not set on fire by the police. That was a meteor too.

So that's why there won't be a reward payout...

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
That is change the trajectory not the velocity. Much easier and efficient.

Whatever is easiest to affect the course of the Meteor/Aestroid. You only have to nudge it a little bit if you detect it far enough out to get it to miss the earth.

DucatiMonster696

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2009
Whatever is easiest to affect the course of the Meteor/Aestroid. You only have to nudge it a little bit if you detect it far enough out to get it to miss the earth.

True but the most difficult part is actually detecting such an object early enough to be able to launch something which would be able to travel out in time to a far enough distance so that it could actually affect the course of the incoming object.

klinc

Jan 30, 2011
Meteors don't explode by themselves in mid air. They break apart. But explode nope that Bullshit

Jan 25, 2011
Meteors don't explode by themselves in mid air. They break apart. But explode nope that Bullshit

Yes they do. All the time. Tunguska even is a prime example of this in modern times. If the body is filled with ice or frozen carbon dioxide which then gets superheated as it streaks into the atmosphere an explosion is not all that surprising.

Try putting thermite on ice and see what happens.

Last edited:

klinc

Jan 30, 2011
Yes they do. All the time. Tunguska even is a prime example of this in modern times. If the body is filled with ice or frozen carbon dioxide which then gets superheated as it streaks into the atmosphere an explosion is not all that surprising.

Try putting thermite on ice and see what happens.

wow so that ice so cool it didn't melt going through the earths atmosphere?