Meteorite hits central Russia, 400+ injured

nextJin

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2009
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/02/15/us-russia-meteorite-idUSBRE91E05Z20130215

http://world.time.com/2013/02/15/meteorite-falls-in-russian-urals/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8QjaAPrxvQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXcaog9J6u8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rp5eg_lk8zA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPBNz-SZha8

About 400 people were injured when a meteorite shot across the sky in central Russia on Friday sending fireballs crashing to Earth, smashing windows and setting off car alarms.

Pretty crazy what can happen these days, lucky it didn't hit America. We would have to declare war on space rocks.

Last edited:

randomrogue

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2011
These things happen all the time. We just blame them on terrorists. Oklahoma city, New York and the Pentagon, USS Cole, Beirut barracks, Kenya Embassy, etc.

The Dorner cabin was not set on fire by the police. That was a meteor too.

nextJin

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2009
I woulda shat bricks seeing that.

The video with the actual bang brought back some memories, it's in red tongue so I can't tell what they are saying. I believe that it actually impacted at the factory or above it in the air.

randomrogue

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2011
That was the shock wave? They had a mythbusters episode where they wanted to prove whether supersonic shock waves could break glass. The only way they could get it to happen was with a fighter jet at Mach 1.03 flying 200 feet above the ground. That was because it warped one window frame too. Was very anti-climatic.

nextJin

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2009
That was the shock wave? They had a mythbusters episode where they wanted to prove whether supersonic shock waves could break glass. The only way they could get it to happen was with a fighter jet at Mach 1.03 flying 200 feet above the ground. That was because it warped one window frame too. Was very anti-climatic.

The 1908 event didn't hit either but it leveled an entire forest. These things are going a bit faster than a fighter jet.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
If I saw that I would definitely think it's a nuke (watching first vid) even though I have no idea what their reentry looks like.

randomrogue

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2011
Wow they think it was going 33,000 mph. Yeah that's a huge difference. Thanks for clearing that up! :p

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
Wow they think it was going 33,000 mph. Yeah that's a huge difference. Thanks for clearing that up! :p

Depending on the size of the object also when it explodes it can be the equivalent of large megaton nuclear bomb going off.

Maybe this will elevate or awareness of the possible dangers of Meteors.

randomrogue

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2011
Depending on the size of the object also when it explodes it can be the equivalent of large megaton nuclear bomb going off.

Maybe this will elevate or awareness of the possible dangers of Meteors.

Possible dangers of meteors? Do you want to have a war on meteors or should we have meteor preparedness packs at home? Are you advocating we leave this planet? Where were you going with this?

Broheim

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2011
Possible dangers of meteors? Do you want to have a war on meteors or should we have meteor preparedness packs at home? Are you advocating we leave this planet? Where were you going with this?

at this point we can do fuck all about meteors, so anything really would better than what we currently have. One day a big one WILL hit and WILL kill all life left on the planet, whether we'll be around to see it is the question.

I want to make a point about shrinking NASA funding vs. welfare/stupid wars but I'd rather not turn this thread political, although I guess I just did...

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004

armageddon.jpg

Do wanna close my eyes! :whiste:

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001

We should elevate further or funding of the tracking of asteroids.

We should also elevate further or funding of missions to asteroids with the eventual go of being able to change the velocity of a asteroid in case we do find one on a intercept course.

Maybe this incident will reduce some of the giggle factor when there is talk about methods to track and asteroid intercept.

randomrogue

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2011
We should elevate further or funding of the tracking of asteroids.

We should also elevate further or funding of missions to asteroids with the eventual go of being able to change the velocity of a asteroid in case we do find one on a intercept course.

Maybe this incident will reduce some of the giggle factor when there is talk about methods to track and asteroid intercept.

I'd love for this to spur further spending on space. Knowing our politicians though they'll cut all funding to everything else and pump $2 trillion into building a giant laser that doesn't work. We've spent $1.5 trillion on wars in the middle east recently so I don't think my number is that unrealistic.

We should build a proper space program. When the time comes that a giant 6 mile wide meteor is on its way though I don't what's better - technology to get off the planet or the technology to blow it up. Diverting something like that far enough from Earth to make a difference would be a ridiculous project.

How much of the sky does NASA's Near-Earth Object survey program even monitor? Just the detection is a huge undertaking.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
We should build a proper space program. When the time comes that a giant 6 mile wide meteor is on its way though I don't what's better - technology to get off the planet or the technology to blow it up. Diverting something like that far enough from Earth to make a difference would be a ridiculous project.

So would moving 300+ million people off planet :D

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
I'd love for this to spur further spending on space. Knowing our politicians though they'll cut all funding to everything else and pump $2 trillion into building a giant laser that doesn't work. We've spent $1.5 trillion on wars in the middle east recently so I don't think my number is that unrealistic.

How much of the sky does NASA's Near-Earth Object survey program even monitor? Just the detection is a huge undertaking.

NASA's current mandate and funding is to track 90% of Asteroid's over 1km in size. They have done this. They are now talking about trying to track 90% of Aestroids over 140 meters in size.

You don't have to blow up a aestroid if you detect it far enough away. Even a 6 mile wide aestroid all you have to do is just change it's velocity a little and you cause it to miss earth.