Metallica's Ulrich testifies in Congress

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

20_MuleTeam_Borax

Oct 9, 1999
"cyber sax is right you guys, how would you like being a programmer (i am sure some of you are) and working for months on a project.. and when it is time to pay off, you are laid off... due to the AMAZING lack of sales... since one copy can go a million ways free."

Too bad there isn't and amazing lack of cd sales. As we all know, sales are up. That would be an cogent analogy if it weren't for people sampling stuff via napster and subsequently buy cds.

I don't know enough about the relationship between artists and record companies to be sure of this, but I think it would be much better for everyone (artists included), if music was available for like $5 a record online. They would be making a hell of a lot more than w/ the current setup, we wouldn't be overcharged, and the record companies can rot in hell :) Napster is a good starting block for this.

Listen to "Dinosaurs Will Die" by NOFX. Hell, download it w/ napster :)

<edit>I only mentioned the voting against Feinstein b/c of the campaign contributions of the entertainment industry. Nice 'n' corrupt, that's how I like my Senators.</edit>

Swag1138

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2000
The statement that Napster reduces cd sales is pure crap.
I use napster regularly. I download a song or two from a band I heard on the radio, or on M2, and if I like their stuff, I buy the cd. If not, then I dont, and I delete the crap mp3s so I dont waste HD space. If it werent for Napster and MP3s in general, I would have very few cds, and the record companies would have none of the monies I put into their pockets. If buying cds that I like from listening to mp3s is preventing the Record companies profits, then yes, it is stealing. But the thing is, I, and many others like me, have put a good percentage of the record companies profits into their pockets. And buying a CD does not guarantee that the band will get their paycut. If you havent read the article by Courtney Love, I suggest you do, its very intellegent(I know, that Courtney Love could produce a halfway coherent thought is a shocker to me too)
http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2000/06/14/love/index.html