Metal matching on DIMM leads and DIMM socket

jbird

Dec 30, 2000
I am looking for PC100 DIMMs with tin contact (leads) for my Tyan S1846S mb. Does anyone know of a memory maker who puts tin leads on their DIMMs?

Bartman39

Elite Member | For Sale/Trade
Jul 4, 2000
Saw your post about your MB maker recommending "tin" contacts but "Gold" contacts are just a newer standard and conduct better... Tin was phased out with old simms so its safe to say gold leads will work just fine in your MB...

Dan

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Bartman39 is correct. DIMM's with gold leads will work just fine on your mobo.

alocurto

Platinum Member
Nov 4, 1999
They should be fine. Just check Tyan's site for the memory compatablility for your motherboard. You can even call them if you want to make 100% sure but I am about 99.9% sure that u shouldn't have a problem.

-alocurto

Supergax

Aug 6, 2000
The reason behind why people say not to match tin contacts to gold or visa versa is that oxidation will occur between the gold and tin. When oxidation occurs, it can cause a problem in the electrical flow, in this case the flow to and from the dimm to the motherboard.

Of course, I've been running SIMM's with tin contacts in slots with gold contacts for the last 5 years, and have had no problems with it. I'm not sure of the long term ramifications of putting gold leads on tin leads though.