Metal Gear Solid V on PC

runzwithsizorz

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
Of course it remains to be seen if the port is decent. Too bad MGS 4 still not released for PC. Looks like a good game, but I still hate all these "exclusives" for the console crowd. Anyway, I'll wait until it's released for awhile before or if I decide to buy it. :\

The Wife

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
It was an excellent game. I finished it on Sunday. Really enjoyed it. Ran well and never crashed.

Phanuel

Platinum Member
Apr 25, 2008
Definitely had a simultaneous release on PC and console.

Ran well (60fps game locked) except for smoke effects (mainly from the skull corps) obliterating my maxed settings. 60-70% utilization at 1440px60fps down to single digit fps and 100% utilization for split seconds when the smoke covered the camera.

The story wrap up was the most disappointing part of it though. Mechanics were pretty solid.

datalink7

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
In terms of bugs and glitches, seems to be a pretty good port. Runs really smooth for me.

However, the controls are a bit wonky. For instance, you can GFY trying to go backwards properly while in the prone.

Red Hawk

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2011
Youtuber and avid PC gamer TotalBiscuit did a "port report" on the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAq9YU2FhIM

He was content, basically. There's a good range of options and settings. The most annoying thing isn't a graphics setting, but the sound settings -- there's no separate toggles for voice, sound effect, and music volumes, a rather basic setting to have and crucial for people who are choosy about the sound balance. There's no mouse control in menus, which is fairly frustrating but not unheard of, especially for PC ports of Japanese developed games. While the frame rate is locked, it's locked at 60 FPS, which is at least tolerable and still allows for a pleasant game experience as opposed to 30 FPS. The engine seems pretty well optimized and can stick to that 60 FPS mark while still looking darn good (fun fact, the PS4 and Xbox One versions of the game run at 60 FPS as well).

Worth noting is that there was a bug -- or oversight, maybe -- where CPUs that didn't support the instruction set SSE 4.1 could not run the game at all, it would crash on launch. This mainly affected AMD Phenom II CPUs. It's supposed to be fixed now.

Last edited:

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
There was a save game corruption bug too, but there was a workaround. Not sure if it has been patched yet.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
well, episode 45 was kind of a downer .. think im done with this title.. a good part before 45, missions was getting replayed just as a "harder" version of the original.. while still being part of the story line.. so essentially you're playing a story out of sync, twice over while still progressing the main game. Weird. Like psychedelic-like weird.

TitusTroy

Dec 17, 2005
can HBAO+ be enabled in the 'Global Settings' tab in the Nvidia Control Panel?...or does it only work when using the Phantom Pain profile within the 'Program Settings' tab?...I know you need to disable AO via the in-game settings and enable 'Quality' under Ambient Occulsion in the NVCP but am wondering if the 'Global Settings' work...I always use Global versus setting any game-specific profiles