Metal Gear Solid 2: Just beat it last night. hrmm..

Hoeboy

Banned
Apr 20, 2000
Let's just say it ended VERY unexpectedly. I was expecting a super duper ending but bah it came by surprise and was VERY weak. I totally enjoyed the first one and I didn't follow the hype of this one but I was somewhat dissappointed. Graphically and soundwise, the game rocks. But it seems there are WAY more talking than in the first part. Plus you don't really get to use Snake all the way through. You use somebody else most of the time which kinda sucks. There are a lot of twists and turns but I kinda got lost towards the middle-end.

There aren't too many new things in this game. A lot of it is recycled from part one. I also felt the many new weapons and items were just thrown in there to have something new. In part one, you basically almost have to use everything you have. In this one, you can probably get by the game only using the bare necessities.

Great game but far from toppling MGS1 as top game of all time.

Hoeboy's rating: 7.5/10

Scuttle

Sep 22, 2001
I'm really looking forward to it, it comes out in the UK after Chrimbo i think, so i'm hoping Wolfenstein and exams will keep me busy until then. :D How long was your playing time, is it longer then the original?

Hoeboy

Banned
Apr 20, 2000
took me 12 hours. i died soooooooooooooooo many times its not even funny. my 2nd way through, i can probably do it in less than 5. after you beat the game, it gives you a return code to go on konami.com and post your record. some guy beat it in like an hr and 30 minutes :eek:

Scuttle

Sep 22, 2001
I remember when a magazine over here was doing a competition for the fastest people to complete the demo, then peeps starting finding codes which stood for small things like 1 second and the competition was called off. :(

Is it worth the money, for the little gameplay time that you got out of it, will you return and play with a different approach?

TuffGuy

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2000
if i remember right, the original ending involved a helicopter crashing into the WTC. that ending was scrapped after 9/11.

Hoeboy

Banned
Apr 20, 2000
<<if i remember right, the original ending involved a helicopter crashing into the WTC. that ending was scrapped after 9/11. >>

uhm no. i think that was made up by anti-ps2 whores who didn't want people to buy ps2. the ending had nothing to do with any kind of helicopters or new york. do you think they can remake all the cinemas, voice acting, and mass production in 2months?

as for the game being worth it, it is a cool game to have in your collection. might be fun to go back once in awhile to play it but don't expect to get totally hooked on it. also keep in mind that my opinion is somewhat skewed because my interest in video games have somewhat died down over the years :)

Scuttle

Sep 22, 2001
I'm pretty sure they removed parts of it that had the WTC in, i never heard of the ending featuring a helicopter crashing into the WTC though, so wouldn't know on that bit. :)

piku

Diamond Member
May 30, 2000
(spoiler, maybe)

<< 99% of the game isn't even based in a metropolitan city. >>

How so? The entire game takes place in the Hudson River...

Hoeboy

Banned
Apr 20, 2000
ok let me rephrase that. 99% of the game doesn't take place on land inside a city :p i just didn't want to give away any part of the game.

crypticlogin

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2001
I think you're getting MGS2 confused with the Spider Man movie -- I believe one of the movie's pivotal scenes was supposed to have a helicopter crash into the Twin Towers but obviously, that's been rescripted.